Hi, I need advice. My 8820 is about 4 months old. The trackball is screwed ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB

trackball broken advice ?

Advertisement

Hi,
    I need advice. My 8820 is about 4 months old. The trackball is screwed up now. First it wouldn't track down. I gave it a little smack, a bunch of dust showed up on the keys, but now it doesn't track up !!!!!

I've tried resetting, blowing air on it, adjusting the trackball settings, all to no avail. It simply does nothing when trying to make it go up.

Is there anything I can do ?
    If I remember correctly there is not good solution to getting a blackberry fixed from ATT. I think they would require me to send the phone to them, which means doing without all my stuff.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

brad34471 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Why not just replace the entire trackball assembly? You can buy a new one on eBay for around $15...installation takes ten minutes. It certainly beats trying to tear it apart and clean it.

As preventative action, it sounds like you need to buy a case or keep it out of your pocket.

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a
    My track ball was doing the same thing. I popped it out and was able to clean everything off. The ball drops out of the ring that holds it in. you need to dry wipe it and make sure you put it back. I have also found that some embedded objects e-mail also will make your track ball not work - pretty much as you are describing. Believe it or not - I thought I was going to end up buying a new ball set. I switched my phone plan and they had me wipe the blackberry software - since my bb was wiped - I no longer have the track ball Issie.

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB
    Thanks for the replies.
    I had all but given up, then as a last act of desperation I just put my fingernail underneath the bottom part of the trackball, and gave a "mighty" flick. ha.
    It started working.

So I am thinking now, that it must be dirt related. And yes, I do keep it in my pocket.

Please tell me, how do you take the trackball out to clean it ? Does the silver ring just pry up ?

Thank you,
    Floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd