Hey all, new to the forums and WiFi. I recently purchased a 8820. I love ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

DaBlackberryBoy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    URADUMAS

Question TMo 8820 Wifi/GSM/Roaming

Advertisement

Hey all, new to the forums and WiFi. I recently purchased a 8820. I love the wifi, but it seems that it only truns on if I manually force it to. I have TMo and for Wifi I have it set to automatically detect. Although for my mobile phone signal, I have it set to Manual and to only turn on if in/on the TMobile. I contacted TMo to ask about roaming but could not get an answer.

So my question, I want to be able to move from home to work to whereever and have wifi pickup. What do I need to set the mobile phone and wifi connections to; and if set to Automatic, would I get charged for roaming? I cannot afford to run into roaming issues. I know this is a loaded question but appreciate any help you all can give. Thanks!
    DaBlackberryBoy
    -- http://wardmitchelljr.com --

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Under "Mobile Network Options" do you have that set to "automatic" also? I have 8320 on T-mo - it ought to work the same.

...and welcome to the stacks!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    URADUMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Under "Mobile Network Options" do you have that set to "automatic" also? I have 8320 on T-mo - it ought to work the same.

...and welcome to the stacks!
    True, but if I set the Voice to Automatic, if I leave the TMo network, would I get charged for roaming? Thats why I have it at manual now because I do not want to incur a lot of roaming as I live in an area with TMo but coverage is spotty. One moment I will be on Tmo, the next Cellular One, then ATT, etc,.
    DaBlackberryBoy

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    I've never been charged for roaming on tmo. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I roam constantly - I live in Arkansas and travel to east Texas often - the coverage from T-Mobile sucks in a lot of those places and, without roaming, I wouldn't have any coverage at all - I think there are no charges for roaming on T-Mobile with a data plan. Someone tell me if I'm wrong - I've never had any.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    URADUMAS
    You both are correct. Call it fate but TMo got back and said that with the data plan I have, as long as I am in the US, no roaming charges would be incurred. Nice! So maybe switching my voice over to Automatic, Wifi is on automatic, would help the phone transition better from GSM to Wifi. That is my real issue, the phone is not picking up my wifi connection unless I turn off all radios and turn back on. Once I switched my voice to Automatic, it picked up my wifi. Problem solved I hope! Thank you all for your help with this, actually just made my day!
    DaBlackberryBoy

Isn't it great to have you "day made?" I love it too and I've had mine "made" many times by other stackers. Have fun in the stacks - soon you'll be making someone's day too.