Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All, Just purchased the 8800 (solid unit, by the way). One thing that annoys me ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

jlmcp no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Time: Network vs. Blackberry

Advertisement

All,

Just purchased the 8800 (solid unit, by the way). One thing that annoys me however, is that when I jump off the plane in a different timezone, the 8800 doesn't update accordingly. If my home timezone is Pacific (GMT -0800) then the time on my phone still reflects this. I did find the following:

Settings --> Options --> Date/Time --> Date/Time Source:

Which can be changed from "Blackberry" to "Network". I made the change to "Network" but it made no difference at all. Do I really have to change my timezone everytime I travel? Is there no way to update this automagically?

Jake Lane

eatmypiano no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Time: Network vs. Blackberry

Quote Originally Posted by jlmcp
    Is there no way to update this automagically?
    Not really. There's no way for the BlackBerry to know where you are. The time that is sent out by the carrier network is GMT. It's then adjusted by the BlackBerrys time zone setting. The only way the BlackBerry can tell what time zone you're in is when you tell it.

This may, of course, change with the advent of location based services.

ChrisBlack no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24E5704A

you must install the DST patch.

more information here:

http://www.blackberry.com/select/dst2007/

Hm. Just installed the patch here ... still no effect. Then again, this patch is really for the Daylight Savings fiasco this year, not a time update for the handset, as far as I can tell.

;-(

Sigh.

Jake

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Quote Originally Posted by jlmcp
    Hm. Just installed the patch here ... still no effect. Then again, this patch is really for the Daylight Savings fiasco this year, not a time update for the handset, as far as I can tell.

;-(

Sigh.

Jake
    That would be correct the DST Patch will not resolve this issue. For now, a manual change would be the way.

ChrisBlack no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24E5704A

Ok, no problem. In my case to time refresh I go to:

options->date/time->click->Update time

with "Blackberry" select in Date/Time source option.

if you dont have "update time" option maybe you are out of wireless coverage or your wireless radio is turn off or something is wrong with the signal. can you make and recieve calls?
    Last edited by ChrisBlack; 03-22-2007 at 08:22 PM.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

It seems strange why network time doesn't update when changing time zones. I mean, the network time should be different if you're on a different tower in a different time zone. The BB should know I'm set to central time but I'm on an eastern tower and make the adjustments.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

timnicholson no está en línea Stack level 1

I agree. Every other "dump phone" out there will update the phone's time to the local time wherever your at. It gets it from the cell tower you are bouncing off.

What's strange is that none of the "smart phones" seem to do this. Windows Mobile and Palm devices don't do it either. The only thing I could think of is that since they have calendars that people use frequently, it might be a bit disorienting to the user to have their appointments jump around as they travel across the country. But personally, if I knew my phone updated the time automatically, then I'd know that all my appointment times were shifted to local time.

Yeah ... I see the point with the calendar entries. That being said, it would at least be nice to have the *option* to "Update from tower", ya know?

I guess maybe the RIM developers don't get out much, so they never saw the need for such an option. ;-)

Heh.

Jake

swing42 no está en línea Stack level 2

It would be awesome if RIM could make the phone adjust to local (tower) time and give you the option to leave appointments at their original time (relative to GMT) or to let them adjust to the new local time. This doesn't seem too difficult. Any RIM OS developers out there listening?.....

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Time: Network vs. Blackberry

I have had numerous smartphones and they all have updated the time based on what part of the country I'm in...this has annoyed me ever since I got my BB 8700g. For a device that is suppose to be "business-centric" this is a huge flaw for the business traveler.

HotWax no está en línea BES Pro

Another issue is that new email uses the Device time stamp, RIM would need to either change and use the message time stamp or add another clock in the Blackberry. Otherwise your email would be very scrambled if you traveled between times zones frequentley and your BB clock kept adjusting.

swing42 no está en línea Stack level 2

For me having the timestamp reflect the time where I really am is just fine. Again, this could be set up to be an option choice: either reflect the time where I am, or reflect the time where I ususally am. It could be coincidental with the adjustment of appointment times. If only I ran RIM (right.... and the rest of the world!!)

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

Yes.. used ot have the dreaded windows mobile phones (tired them all) and once you change your time zone manually... all the calendar events do indeed shift on you as well. That was very difficult. Best way is to simply avoid the network time and use blackberry..then just change the time in the phone manually when you change zones. Come on guys!!! We'd all have to do that if we wore old fasioned wrist watches! LOL

jb76006 no está en línea Stack level 1

This is ridiculous! BB must fix this. I think a lot of us who switched from regular cell phones to the Pearl because of its size are VERY disappointed. I love this phone but something this basic needs to be addressed at BB HQ. I am in Phoenix at the moment and I just learned this the hard way by being 2 hours early to my meeting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast