Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Originally Posted by garran Overall I prefer the new trackball because it allows me one-handed ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by garran
    Overall I prefer the new trackball because it allows me one-handed operation of the phone and reduced keypress combinations to move horizontally through the screens.

There is one specific advantage I found the old trackwheel to have over the new trackball. I find myself passing over input fields within websites because the trackball doesn't provide that tactile-response that the wheel did.
    Both very good points.

patcatuk no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    RIM should just change to a thumbpad like on the majority of laptops out there.

That's one pointing device that will never get dirty, feel cheap and floppy, and pretty much anyone can use.

It doesn't have to be that big and shouldn't take up much space on the BB. Say on an 8700 the screen can just be moved up and the answer/cancel keys moved to the side.

Or to look forward 10 years they could eventually use a touchscreen that could sense between a big thumbprint moving across the screen as a scroll maneuver and a finger nail tap a selection.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Well, it's been 4 days with the 8800 for me, and I'm getting used to the trackball, but so far I still miss the wheel. I'm having to relearn Meteor Crusher, which well, sucks.
    Also, the trackball is a lot harder to use with gloves on than the wheel. Important when it's freezing (or colder) outside.

I figure I'll eventually get used to it, though. They could have fit a trackwheel in this thing though.

As for a touchscreen in 10 years, there's no reason for it to take that long other than RIM being unwilling or unable to make their OS touchscreen compatible.

Palm OS devices have had them for over 10 years now, and they work quite well. My Palm T|X is worlds easier to navigate than a BB, but it's a completely different device. But that's a discussion for another thread on another day...

But wheel vs ball on a BB is still undecided for me.
    I do want to mention that after swapping out our director's Pearl for a White Pearl, I really like the feel of the 8800 more. The pearl is just too narrow for me to use comfortably. Also was reminded again how I can't stand typing on the Pearl.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

the scroll wheel is a bit more intuitive in my opinion but with some practice the trackball offers a great deal of precision.

brucewayne98 no está en línea Stack level 2

track wheel/click wheel all the way, bring it back

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I was just reminded the last 2 weeks how much I love the trackball as I was without my Pearl for 2 weeks until 2 days ago. I had to use my 7100t and it took forever to get to anything. The trackwheel and the device itself are too slow for my needs which is why its now a backup.

I brought my 2 SK devices out. The SK2 has a trackwheel and the SK3 has a trackball. I found that the trackwheel on my SK2 is faster than that of the 7100t (it takes the 7100t forever to respond to trackwheel presses).

The trackballs of the Pearl and SK3 are identical in ease of use.

The trackwheel has my vote forever.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

I think the trackwheel feels more direct... I could spin it and pretty much have it land where I wanted it...

This new ball on the curve feels like I have to be more cautious (not in terms of build) but more about where it goes... I kno there's the option of sensitivity but I feel its at the "correct" level but still have difficulty landing... But then again.. Im only a couple weeks new to the ball...

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

I prefer tracknall. At first I thought the ball was going to fall off or stop working after heavy use. And tried to do as little clicks with it as possible, instead I used enter.
    But after a year the pearl seems the same, just a little dirtier. I think its a great innovation.

Danimal no está en línea Stack level 2

I just replaced 5 7130e's with 8830's and after only 24hrs of use I love the trackball already. I have found myself reaching for the trackwheel and the escape key on the side though.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome!"

lbibeau no está en línea Stack level 1

trackball for sure

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    I just replaced 5 7130e's with 8830's and after only 24hrs of use I love the trackball already. I have found myself reaching for the trackwheel and the escape key on the side though.
    I did that for about a week... Guess im supposed to ride the short bus...
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

Wilfred no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2138A139

Smile Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreeze View Post
    Why are people so afraid of change? The trackball is awesome. evolution is good. Without it we would all still be using "brick" mobile phones.

Agree, Evolution is GOOD! I like the trackball, one word "freedom"!!

slater no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c95540

I have an 8830 and the trackball kinda annoys me sometimes although iv never used the weel so I can't say what's better. Sometimes the trackball sticks though.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345