Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thank you. I will let him know you think he is a cutie. His name ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

Advertisement

Thank you. I will let him know you think he is a cutie. His name is Newton. I have another who is just as cute. Her name is Ellie. They are Boston Terriers.

BRZ

MMB916 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Great names!! My cutie's name is Wilby!!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

patcatuk no está en línea Stack level 3

Wow, I think mistadobolin and toy9cito hit the head on the hammer.

I was simply going to suggest that we ask how long people here have used BBs with thumbwheels to find any correlation between time and fondness/adatability to the trackball.

So if anyone wants to try this out I'll start. I got my first BB a 7100v in 2004 when vodafone started offering BBs to the general public. I "upgraded" to the 7290 after 1 year because I prefered the qwerty and the more robust feel of that device. I am currently using an 8700. I do think the 7290 has a better keyboard than the 8700.

And my disposition to the trackball is,

I can live with it if RIM completely drops the thumbwheel. But, I prefer the thumbwheel and I hope they don't get rid of it.

If RIM discontinues the thumbwheel that would be an example of complete madness. Why would a company get rid of a unique selling point carefully protected through the years. Sheer madness.

As for the trackball on the 8100 and 8800, a big thumbs up for RIM gaining a new market with just a simple modification of their product.

butterfly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    7FFBC4F3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I miss the trackwheel, I m trying to get use to the trackball and it weird! I find myself pressing the volume up and down button when ever I m excuting a function that requires me to roll the trackball! My fingers is trying to play catch up with my brain! Lol but overall the ball is nice it just take a bit of gettin use to it!! I have the pearl switched from the 7105t..

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Ive yet to get my hands on the trackball, and will miss my clickwhell dearly.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

ToY9CiTo no está en línea Stack level 2

I played with a cingular pearl the day it came out for cingular which is the same hardware as tmo pearl and the ball felt like it was broken or loosed from years of use.the only problem was still in the box brand new.felt so cheap and so childish similar to what I would think a fisher price child trackball cell phone would feel...I left so sad imagining the next generation full keyboard bb (8800) or (8820) falling into carrying the same trackball and eliminating the clickwheel.just the thought is so depressing..:~(

PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Post Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

OK - no one scream at me And it's only been an hour - but so far I'm not in love with the 8800 like I was with my 8700. I liked the ease of use of the thumbwheel - how easy it was to do everything one handed - also, I actually like the feel of the 8700 in my hand better - felt more substantial. But it's a trade off - I know - no technology is perfect. The size of this device is preferable to the 8700 to carry at my waist, etc... I'm trying it out - I'm sure I will get used to the trackball and even use one hand once I'm used to it....time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by ToY9CiTo
    I played with a cingular pearl the day it came out for cingular which is the same hardware as tmo pearl and the ball felt like it was broken or loosed from years of use.the only problem was still in the box brand new.felt so cheap and so childish similar to what I would think a fisher price child trackball cell phone would feel...I left so sad imagining the next generation full keyboard bb (8800) or (8820) falling into carrying the same trackball and eliminating the clickwheel.just the thought is so depressing..:~(
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

MMB916,
    Why aren't you able to operate the trackball with one hand?

PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Post Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

There's that cutie again....
    I can operate the trackball with one hand but with my 8700, I was able to hold the device and work the thumwheel very fast with one hand. For some reason the 8800 doesn't feel as sturdy in my hand (at least yet), so to hold the 8800 in one hand and then also operate the trackball feels a little shakey...does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreeze
    MMB916,
    Why aren't you able to operate the trackball with one hand?
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Kind of, yes. I find that my 8100 fits in my hand just like a remote control. Feels natural. (can you tell I'm a guy?)

PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

It's like anything else....you have to get used to it.

PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Very funny :>) I'm sure I would fight you for the remote (some women insist) :>)

I have been using it this evening on and off and am getting used to it with one hand. Is it me?? I don't think this is such a fabulous device...of course the size is nice...yes, definitely - I'm going to give it more of a chance before I make a decision. Don't get me wrong- it's a nice device but the 8700 just felt like it meant business :>)

Are you overjoyed with your Pearl? Not thinking of making a change now, right? How do you feel about the keyboard?
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Well, since you ask....
    I absolutely love my 8100. I may be a little biased though as this is the first BB i have owned. Prior to my Pearl I was a die hard Nokia person and my last 4 phones were Nokias.
    Originally I purchased the Samsung BlackJack but took it back with a week because I just couldn't get used to the full QWERTY and hated the number placement on the keyboard (numbers were seperated by letters instead of being placed all together next to eachother). Also, the center navigation button was extremely small for my big thumbs. So I took it back and got the Pearl and have been in love ever since. The BlackJack had a scrollwheel but I never got used to it. When I got my Pearl I found the trackball to be very easy to use and almost intuitive.

Anyway, I wouldn't trade my Pearl for the world. I think it is the perfect mix of phone, PDA and media player. It's the perfect size. To quote an old saying....they will have to pry my Pearl from my dead cold fingers to get it away from me.

TTYL,
    BRZ

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

After using the track wheel on my other BB's I really became used to it & found it very nice.

Now I have an 8100 & 8800 & I lke the track ball even better. It is very easy to use & very intuitive. I think like any other change, if approached with an open mind & given a bit of tme to adjust, most people will find it truly faster & more useful than the track wheel.

garran no está en línea Stack level 3

Overall I prefer the new trackball because it allows me one-handed operation of the phone and reduced keypress combinations to move horizontally through the screens.

There is one specific advantage I found the old trackwheel to have over the new trackball. I find myself passing over input fields within websites because the trackball doesn't provide that tactile-response that the wheel did.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast