Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ the thing is I don't know anyone who ever complained better yet ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ToY9CiTo no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ the thing is I don't know anyone who ever complained better yet most people think the clickwheel is the best thing since slice bread this is evident as most cellfone makers and pda makera have made attemps to make a imitations to copy rim and make there own clickwheel.yet only the sidekick has attempted this trackball thing and we all knowat we think of the sidekick? "Garbage" why mess with perfection.if it's not broke don't fix it " Dag Nabit"

eviljonny no está en línea Stack level 2

Toy9Cito, your words, "I think that the OS on the blackberry is the best smartphone OS in the world..." You didn't tell us why. Do you like the fact that your Corporate emails get mixed with your Personal? And yes, I am aware of the custom search work around, but that is just lame. What about the way different themes give you different functionality? I want the functionality every time, thank you. On the Pearl, to perform a reset, I have to pul the battery? Really? Lame. Voice Dialing, (I know RIM doesn't make this application, but it is on their latest models): OMG! Why does it auto dial evertime it thinks I said a contact name which only has 1 number assigned to it?! Very embarassing when it called the wrong girl one Friday night! Don't get me wrong, though, Blackberry for life! I just want to see the above glitches addressed.

eviljonny no está en línea Stack level 2

I forgot. Does anyone else agree that the trackball is easier on your hand muscles? I think it puts your hand in a much more natural position. It just feels better. Which is the point, right?

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I love the thumbwheel. i can use the 8700 with one hand.... I am looking forward to the trackball though. it will be something different . I like the idea of them taking the thumbwheel in a different direction.. You always have to evolve and adjust to what your consumer wants.... I think the trackball appeals more to the general consumer per se than the thumbwheel... Hence the success of the Pearl .
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~....well when I say it's the best I mean I have used all the other smartphones out there..I am actually on a beta test fro tmobile as we speak for a smartfone with TV Phone service I can't share the details but the tv looks and sounds great..anyway from every Treo, Windows mobile fone and nokia smartfone since 2001 to pda fone etc..and they all have a big lacking quality and that is OS intuitiveness.the rim os allows u the least amount of clicks for any given set of desired tasks..
    Simply put it knows b4 u do what ur most likely to do after a given task.ex when u copy something on an email or sms and then click the wheel the 1st option is paste..or if u type and email the 1 option after u hit the wheel is send etc etc...this is something no other os has..then there are the HUGE list of shortcuts that make my use of the wheel minimal at that...as it pertains to ur comment on the all messages together..I did Hate that at first and actually considred not getting a berry because of it.drove me nuts to have all messages in 1 folder. But I have learned to love it.if u really hate them being mixed with corporate emails u say u know about the custom shortcut to see just one email inbox at a time.also what I do is leave the corporate mailbox icon on my homescreen and use it to see just corp email in that individual box..I'm not sure if u have read all the shortcuts and tips and tricks threads but they are awesome..by the way to reset the fone u do not need to pull out the battery simply hold down alt+cap+ delete and it does a soft reset..a hard reset does require u to pull the battery out.yet the only smartfone that doesn't require the battery pulled out to do a hard reset that I recall is the treo 600 and that's cause the battery is internal and can't be pulled out.what else..oh the themes..well that's another great aspect where blackberry rules and beats everyone out there for me.the reason the themes have diff functionality as u said is just cause the creator of the theme has the liberty to make his own theme and this creative freedom gives each maker the ability to customize the theme to his or her liking..it might not be to ur liking but the theme builder put in the hours of sweat and creative energies and he or she choose the settings to there liking if u want ur own functionalities u might have to make ur own theme or talk to someone that does and ask if they will make u one...I personally dont use to many custom themes for the simple fact that most use Huge fonts and I like smaller fonts so I totally understand what u mean about the themes then again I didn't make the theme so therefore I don't complain too much I am very sorry about ur voice dialing mishap sounds really funny I had a similar incident only mine was cause I called a girl while my fone was in my pocket while I was telling my boy how she was in bed..(Not a good thing) I really don't EVER use voice dialing so I can't comment on that I just use the hold send button shortcut to direct dial.but when and if I get my 8800 maybe I'll test the Voice dialing..I know it's not perfect but maybe because I have used so many other smartfones I can appreciate all the benefits of how rim os is SO FAR BETTER than anything else..1 more thing other than the sidekick keypad which is huge wide my bb 8700r is the best touch typing fone period.sorry if any errors but I'm typing all this on my bb8700 while I'm working.anything I might have missed let me know,....I hope this helps a little bit..ps look at any tips and tricks page and shortcut guide I barely use my wheel cause of them I learn new shortcuts all the time..

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

As far as the success of the pearl a lot of it's success comes from a gorgeous body beautiful designing and quality materials.not to mention all the hype being the first bb with camera and storage cpacity they could have put a nokia style little cheap mouse in the middle of the pearl and it would have still been a success.it's a great job by rim's designers making a high quality new body with the multi media people demand camera storage mp3 playback etc while still delivering the beloved best email service in the Globe..maybe if that "Nipple" on the 8800 wasn't as small as on the pearl thicker and/or less flimsy it would be better for all of us clickwheel lovers.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

It's funny to read all the posts by those who've never used the click wheel! That's proof positive that RIM is sucessfully marketing to a younger generation.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

I will give u more proof of the young crowd that rim is attracting I know personally 12 people who have bought a pearl and have never used it for blackberry email.heck they don't even have bb email on there fones.they just like it cause it looks pretty and it's different..

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

That could be a big problem that I didn't even think about. I suppose people would buy the pearl for that reason and never even purchase a data plan!
    If you don't have a data plan, then you can't get your service books pushed, and if you can't do that then I'm not sure that even simple features like sms will work properly.......interesting.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ well this is not true for the great tmobile customers...my cousin is mart access so he canot get bb email data plan yet all services work except email.sms mms google talk gmail bb messenger all with just a 5.99 tzones plan

MMB916 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Post Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

How could you have such a cute dog, Stonebreeze and so miss the point of this thread I started? I work in technology, embrace change and love the "new and improved" however, as I said, when I tried the trackball on the Nokie E62, it felt flimsy and wasn't nearly as comfortable as the trackwheel. I certainly hope all of the trackball lovers are right and that I will love it and get used to it - I'm sure I will. I'm just excited about the 8800 and have found working with my trackwheel very productive. So I'm hopeful I will feel the same about the trackball on the 8800.

I started this thread so we could all learn about the differences between the two. I wanted to hear from all of the trackball lovers and they have given me lots of good thoughts on the topic. After all, learning from each other and bringing new and fresh ideas are what it's about!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreeze
    Why are people so afraid of change? The trackball is awesome. evolution is good. Without it we would all still be using "brick" mobile phones.
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

I'm with you SuzzyP...love the thumbwheel and the one hand use - so nice and easy...but I'm hoping the trackball will be all that everyone says it is
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzzyP
    I love the thumbwheel. i can use the 8700 with one hand.... I am looking forward to the trackball though. it will be something different . I like the idea of them taking the thumbwheel in a different direction.. You always have to evolve and adjust to what your consumer wants.... I think the trackball appeals more to the general consumer per se than the thumbwheel... Hence the success of the Pearl .
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Quote Originally Posted by MMB916
    How could you have such a cute dog, Stonebreeze and so miss the point of this thread I started? I work in technology, embrace change and love the "new and improved" however, as I said, when I tried the trackball on the Nokie E62, it felt flimsy and wasn't nearly as comfortable as the trackwheel. I certainly hope all of the trackball lovers are right and that I will love it and get used to it - I'm sure I will. I'm just excited about the 8800 and have found working with my trackwheel very productive. So I'm hopeful I will feel the same about the trackball on the 8800.

I started this thread so we could all learn about the differences between the two. I wanted to hear from all of the trackball lovers and they have given me lots of good thoughts on the topic. After all, learning from each other and bringing new and fresh ideas are what it's about!!
    MMB916, my post wasn't necessarily aimed directly at you. A lot of the responses you got from your post were very negative towards the trackball and touted the greatness of the clickwheel. I only said what I said to make a point. I guess from your response that I hit the mark on the target! No harm no foul. Discussion is the lubricant for change.

LONG LIVE THE TRACKBALL!!!

PS - Yes, my dog is very cute!

BRZ

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Quote Originally Posted by MMB916
    I'm with you SuzzyP...love the thumbwheel and the one hand use - so nice and easy...but I'm hoping the trackball will be all that everyone says it is
    MMB916, you will love it. ONce you try it (and get used to it) you will wonder how you ever lived with the clickwheel.

PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Hi Stonebreeze,

Thanks so much for that - that makes sense given all of the responses....

Now I can't wait to try the trackball.

I have a Japanese Chin with a similiar looking face to your adorable cutie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreeze
    MMB916, my post wasn't necessarily aimed directly at you. A lot of the responses you got from your post were very negative towards the trackball and touted the greatness of the clickwheel. I only said what I said to make a point. I guess from your response that I hit the mark on the target! No harm no foul. Discussion is the lubricant for change.

LONG LIVE THE TRACKBALL!!!

PS - Yes, my dog is very cute!

BRZ
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast