Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Well I hope ur right but u have to remember the pearl ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ToY9CiTo no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well I hope ur right but u have to remember the pearl was made to use with one hand since it's thin and narrow and doesn't have a full keypad.but the 8800 is a much bigger and thicker and most likely be used with 2 hands anyway to touchtype so that's why I said it should have kept the wheel on the full keypad 8800 and trackball for pearl.

patcatuk no está en línea Stack level 3

I had a pearl for 2 days, but, I gave it back because it was faulty and I really hated the wiggly keys. As for the trackball I could live with. It has a floppy feel to it and a bit too small. If it was a bigger trackball it would be more comfortable.

When I returned it and got an 8700 instead the salesman said I was doing it the other way around since people usuall switched to the pearl.

I prefer the thumbwheel. I hope RIM doesn't get rid of it. If they do then its time to buy a spare 8700

I know exactly how u feel patcatuk I am in the same boat I played with a pearl for a day and the trackball better be improved on the 8800 cause it feels flimsy,loose and too small on the pearl and as much as I use my berry to chat ( up to 5 hours a day on messengers only) and emails sms messages etc I need sturdy reliable comfortable hardware like the clickwheel has given me.I'm hoping maybe someone can start a petition for the return of the clickwheel if the 8800 wheel is not loved and welcomed after it comes out..

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Well, since I'm new to BB, I have never used the trackwheel. The trackball works well on the Pearl and, as someone else said, can move in multiple directions. I think it is the perfect fit for the Pearl.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

I come from the 7100 era, and the click wheel was great, once you got used to it. Once I got the hang of it I loved it, but then when it started to wear down and felt like it was about to pop, it scared me into getting a sidekick. Well it was one of a few reasons. What brought me back to bb is the size of the pearl and the functionality of it.(look @ the size of most bbs or phones in general, and then think about what the pearl actually does) on top the simple navigation!! The trackball makes it so easy to navigate!! I seen some of the screen shots from the 8800 and I love the way it even converts to a mouse icon when browsing the web!! As far as problems with the trackball, I have yet to have 1, I wipe my bb down once a month, no issues at all!! I love the trackball, give it some time, and I gurantee most will forget about the click wheel!! But I do think it would be good if rim offered various versions with or without the trackball!

eviljonny no está en línea Stack level 2

Trackwheel is old technology and now obsolete. I cried at first, as well, when I switched from my much loved 8700c to my Pearl, but after 3 days of using the Trackball there is no comparrison. The new technology is much more intuitive/accurate, (yes, it is more accurate. If you have a spastic thumb then dial down the sensitivty) and it reduces stress on your thumb, which, to me, is very important. I already have CTS.
    RIM may be notorious for overlooking basic and much needed functionality in their OSs, (I know everyone loves the fact that their Corporate email gets lumped in with their Personal email, right? *sarcasm* etc...) but hardware wise, they cannot be beat. I just hope the boys and girls in R&D over at RIM will get their act together and start designing a better OS. I am happy that, at least this coming version of, the 8800 is geared more toward business use than for a teenage girl who wants to store all of her .mp3s.

bluskye no está en línea Stack level 2

The trackball + buttons on the side make editing/sending emails far faster. The trackwheel is so slow to have to double click on it to send stuff. I prefer the pearl's interface over my work 8700.

I think that the OS on the blackberry is the best smartphone OS in the world... and as far as hardware the 7200 series is far more durable comfortable and much better to touch type on..

I do around 5200 sms,2100 emails as well as various hours a day of chatting on msn aol and bb messenger a month so to me the most comfortable touch type phone is the 7200 series too bad it doesnt have speakerphone (except for the nextel 7520) nor Edge etc...

I am also over 6 feet tall though i dont have long fingers my hands not huge but bigger than ur average 5'9 person.I think the 8700 is just at the borderline of being too narrow touchpad keys being to tight together..Now everyone wants these thing narrow phones for wat ? what is it they want to do with it shove it in there coin pocket of there jeans...I cant stand it i want a phone that i can type on for hours and not get a cramp after just typing a few messages...why can they remember these phones are made for business users not people who want a cool looking phone....

I have no problem with the phones being pretty and shiny and nice but compromsing the comfort of touch typing by making the keys so tight together that u cant type alot is just wrong.i think as a member said last year they should make a seperate line of blackberrys for business and another for consumers because i want a wide comfortable fone to type on not a narrow phone thats too uncomfortable to be used by a power user like myself... just my 2 cents

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by bluskye
    The trackball + buttons on the side make editing/sending emails far faster. The trackwheel is so slow to have to double click on it to send stuff. I prefer the pearl's interface over my work 8700.
    I've been concerned about the lack of tactile feedback that we get with the trackwheel and the jury's obviously still out on how well the trackball does with dirt, dust and grease but these points are promising...

Quote Originally Posted by ToY9CiTo
    I think that the OS on the blackberry is the best smartphone OS in the world... and as far as hardware the 7200 series is far more durable comfortable and much better to touch type on..
    Can you cite any durability testing or is this another assessment based on "hand feel"?

boots no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d06a0e

boots no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d06a0e

I was told by a tmo rep the 7105 was discontinued because of track wheel failure..I know this cuz it happened to me and they sent me a free pearl handset to replace my 7105.its my third day using it and I love it! Track ball is so much easier to navigate because of horizontal and vertical options. No comparison.

MMB916 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Post Re: Thumbwheel vs. Trackball??

Thanks to all of you for all of these thoughtful replies. I must say that I didn't think of the trackball being easier on web pages, etc... I have just gotten so used to the trackwheel that it's hard to imagine using a trackball. Also, I tried the trackball on a friend's Nokia E62 and it was terrible. I didn'tlike the response time or the feel of the trackball itself. Hopefully the 8800 will bemuch better than that!!
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Well I know both methods: The Wheel and the Ball. And the Ball is IMHO the best Method to navigate with the BB. But this could be an endless Discussion, cause 50% like the Ball and the Rest like the Wheel! Just my two Cent. Regards Peter

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Why are people so afraid of change? The trackball is awesome. evolution is good. Without it we would all still be using "brick" mobile phones.

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Stonebreeze, I don't think people are afraid of change, per se', just a little nervous.

I've been using mobile devices since 95', and am really looking forward to the 8800, and it's trackball. Not played with any trackball yet, but it looks appealing...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast