Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

it seems interesting how heated a debate the idea of a camera on a blackberry ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

325inewbie no está en línea Stack level 3

thoughts on blackberry cameras

Advertisement

it seems interesting how heated a debate the idea of a camera on a blackberry stirs - my thoughts:

it seems that for the most part (i understand there are exceptions) your feelings towards a camera seem to be dictated by the industry you work in and your use for the phone -

I happen to work in investing and use the phone equally for personal and business use and would absolutely love a camera (however, i am using verizon so i shouldn't have to worry about bb releasing a camera bb for us until the next 10 or 15 years or so)

I do understand those of you who work in an industry where camera phones are strictly forbidden and i can imagine your being upset when you can't get the latest model blackberry because it has a camera

thoughts anyone?????

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Re: thoughts on blackberry cameras

Quote Originally Posted by 325inewbie
    it seems interesting how heated a debate the idea of a camera on a blackberry stirs - my thoughts:

it seems that for the most part (i understand there are exceptions) your feelings toward a camera seem to be dictated by the industry you work in and your use for the phone -

I happen to work in investing and use the phone equally for personal and business use and would absolutely love a camera (however, i am using Verizon so i shouldn't have to worry about BB releasing a camera BB for us until the next 10 or 15 years or so)

I do understand those of you who work in an industry where camera phones are strictly forbidden and i can imagine your being upset when you can't get the latest model blackberry because it has a camera

thoughts anyone?????
    I work as an attorney, mostly in federal court. For a while the Courts banned cell phones with cameras from the courtroom, you had to leave them with the U. S. Marshal and get it back after leaving court. The concern was that people would be taking pics inside the courtrooms, where pics are totally forbidden.

Last year here in San Francisco they lifted the ban on taking cell phones with cameras into the courtrooms. I think it was too much of a hassle for the Marshals. They would have to fetch the cell phones every time someone left the court.

So they now simply have signs that say it's a felony to take pics inside the courtroom. I think no one wants to risk getting jailed if they take a pic, so that works better than confiscating camera phones.

Some state court houses in California still confiscate camera phones, but most do not.

The Court of Appeals and Supreme Court take it to the extreme though. Two Highway Patrol officers man scanners at the entrance to the courtrooms and they confiscate ALL electronic devices, not just cell phones. When you leave, you can pick up your Ipod, PDA, cell phone, recorders, notebooks, pagers, etc.

When camera phones were prohibited, most of us used BB's, that conveniently did not have cameras. Those who had camera phones sometimes had a second non-camera phone and line so it could be taken into court. I know some guys who would simply activate the non-camera phone on the same line for the day they were going to be in court.

Actually though, most lawyers simply opted to not have a camera phone. That caused problems with phones like the Treo came out with cameras, which forced the lawyers to keep their older model without a camera.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I don't mind having a camera.. it's actually a great option (can be handy at times). But I dont need it. I have it fine great.. if I don't then it's cool, not a big deal (only on a BB device). But in a regular Cell phone.. Camera is a must for me, because their too boring if they don't have one.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ For me personally I don't work in an environment that dictates I not have a camera phone. I have had camera phones in the past and for me it is the quality of the pictures that is the issue. Cameras in phones really are not that great a quality and have drastic limitations. Sure you can take a picture of a pretty flower blooming or a friend sleeping soundly while drool runs out the corner of their mouth but you can't take an action shot where the shutter speed needs to be fast and the megapixles aren't a great quality. I keep my digital camera in my truck with me so I can grab it and put it in my pocket. I love my BB and wouldn't trade it for the world.No camera built into it? No biggie for me....

anthony no está en línea Stack level 3

An interesting posting from sanfrancisco.
    Photography within English courts is prohibited. Likewise, moble telephones are also not permitted to be switched on inside a courtroom. Jurors have all electronic devices collected before deliberation and only returned at the conclusion of the case.

I have had a camera phone in the past but only took a couple of test pictures and I was not satisfied with the quality. There are times, such as a motor vehicle accident, when a camera can be useful but otherwise is it just a gimmick? RIM have probably had to include a camera to keep pace with mainstream mobile communications, but where does this stop? Even satellite TV can now be watched on a mobile phone, (must be straining the eyes).

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

I work at an international law firm, so my users have to deal with whatever rules the courts in the US, the UK, China, Canada, and Japan have, plus whatever countries they have to visit. At one point (and possible still) in some courts in New York, you couldn't even bring a cell phone in to the courtroom, so for a while we had a few 957's reserved for users that needed their BB's but had to go to those courts.

These days, they seem to allow BB's with phones so that hasn't come up recently. Could just be they haven't had any court dates.

In any event, I'm pretty sure cameras are still not allowed, which is why I'm strongly in favor for a clear distinction between the consumer and business lines of BB, with non-camera models being the majority of business devices. A few models with cameras would be fine for those who's jobs necessitate one, but having cameras on all the models is just not acceptable for us. Taking pictures in the firm's offices is technically not allowed here (although not really enforced), so we now have to look at disabling camera equipped devices via BES policy.

At our firm 99% of the users do not own their Blackberry. The firm issues devices to users and as such owns them and if you leave, the BB stays. One of my tasks is to be the Repo-Man when users leave the firm and tell them to turn in their blackberry on their last day.

Having used camera phones, and the one in the Pearl, I can't say there's much value in having one for me, since I tend to use an SLR if it's a picture I care about. The quality on most camera phones just isn't that great, and I don't want the added drain on battery life. I use my cell for talking; that's all, so for me, a camera's a waste, and unwanted.

I know people working in secure facilities can't have cameraphones either, as it's an obvious breach of security, so it's not just limited to the legal profession.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Bottom line, if you don't want/can't have a phone with a camera, don't buy it.

PIN/ID
    219DFD90

That sentiment is perfectly fine, so long as a non-camera model is offered that has the same capabilities as the camera equipped version.

That's what my concern is about all these new devices; if you want the latest and greatest, but don't want or can't have a camera, right now, RIM is not offering a competetive solution, and it doesn't appear that they will be. If that's true, it's going to hurt their corporate sales, which is still their core business.

There's no crying about it here, unlike the many, many people whining constantly about not being able to record video with the camera in the Pearl. Boo-hoo. It said it didn't do it on the box, but they still bought it, so either take it back for a refund or quit complaining.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    well, if someone doesn't want a camera but wants a suretype device, then get a 7130. If the 8800 comes out with only a camera option, get an 8700. It doesn't really matter if they have cameras or not anymore anyways if they are on BES seeing as the BES admins can turn the camera function off all together along with the media card.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have a quick something to add. I wouldn't half mind a BB with a camera. As long as it's a decent camera.
    But also the reason I would want it all in one is so I could take a pic and email it right away. So, on the same side of things, it would almost be just as good to have a BB with only a card slot. Take pictures with my real camera (which is better than a phone camera), then switch cards and email away. Satisifes me and most corporate/govt policies.

CelebrityBB no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF7E45

I'm 15 and I'd love to have a blackberry with a camera on it. I currently use the 8700c and still love it
    S. Silverman

FEEL FREE TO PIN ME:
    23DF7E45

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

I must admit I don't feel strongly one way or the other about cameras in BB's. I've never owned a camera phone, but I do have a pda with a camera which has come in handy from time to time <like taking a picture of a piece of furniture to show my gf to see if she liked it]. I think it would be handy to have. I also work for an investment firm, so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I've already ruined one camera carrying it around in my glove box, so I know from experience that that won't work for me. As savvy as RIM is, I would be willing to bet that they have already thought this through and will keep their non-camera business line and camera-equipped consumer lines separate. My concern is that the processing capabilities of the consumer phones keep pace with the business phones. I don't want to give up the ability to run 3rd party apps or other capabilities to get a camera. I want it all!

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

just keep both options open for people cause people have different needs. I use two phones - a bb for data and a chell phone for talking - yes my phone has a camera on it but i maybe use it twice a month or so - a camera is a nice feature but not 100% imortant.
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

erick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ff9086

Correct me if I am wrong, but, wasn't the camera and sd card slot added to make the phones more consumer friendly rather than for corperate use?
    The first step to curing your (Blackberry) addiction is admitting your addicted. What addiction, I don't have an addiction!!!

PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Yes, but they also changed the form factor, the OS, and the controls for the device, and they have no equvalent device on the corporate side of things. Telling someone to get a 7130c/g is not an answer if corporate users want everything the Pearl has but no camera. If all they did to create the Pearl was cram a camera into a 7130c and update the OS, there wouldn't be an issue.

[edit]misspelled pearl as 'pear'. [/edit]
    Last edited by BBWrangler; 10-06-2006 at 07:56 PM.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast