Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I finally got BB maps working on my 8800 and also installed google maps. Google ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

pdqgp no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: thoughts on 8800 GPS application

Advertisement

I finally got BB maps working on my 8800 and also installed google maps. Google has nicer graphics and if they enable GPS directions and tracking, it will be a real winner.

Personally, niether can hold a candle to a real GPS System. I have one built into my car and I also use a portable Garmin 2620 unit. Both pretty much blow the 8800 and BB Maps away.

However, I do like the idea of having the 8800 GPS. Should I forget or damage my 2620 while traveling, I have a somewhat usable back up. It's also very nice for walking around big cities. I travel a lot and when in Boston, NYC, Chicago, the built in GPS works wonders. Nothing like parking downtown, walking to a bunch of appointments and being able to have a hand held GPS with you at all times. It's great.

Google maps is nice as it can pull up locations of businesses, etc...too.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

OK...you all use big words! LOL! It's been one heck of a long day....i dont wanna think anymore. Either way, I just bought my husband his 8800 BECAUSE it had the GPS system...my thinking? Who cares if I pay an extra $10 a month? I dont. As the OS upgrades become available, so will the upgrades for telenav...where as with Tom Tom and stuff, they will gorge you on the price for map changes and whatnot every year.

pdqgp no está en línea Stack level 2

the value all depends on how much you use or rely on a GPS. I travel quite a bit for my job and it's priceless. I paid about $800 for my Garmin 2620 but it's bullet proof in durability, is preloaded and offers free map updates and has both a touch screen and remote. there's no comparison between it and the 8800 in usability.

I'm not sure how Tom Tom works, but the other lower priced Garmins are a great value. Before you spend $10 mo. on the 8800 TelNav stuff, I'd suggest looking at a $400 unit. Much better value in the long run if you use a GPS often....or even occassionally, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadelgado
    OK...you all use big words! LOL! It's been one heck of a long day....i dont wanna think anymore. Either way, I just bought my husband his 8800 BECAUSE it had the GPS system...my thinking? Who cares if I pay an extra $10 a month? I dont. As the OS upgrades become available, so will the upgrades for telenav...where as with Tom Tom and stuff, they will gorge you on the price for map changes and whatnot every year.

WizeGi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249ed774

I loaded BBMaps and played around w/ it a bit.

I like having what is what i would consider mapquest in my pocket. Great little app when you are in a crunch.

I used it to map my current position on the highway to my home. The route was spot on and I liked the overview route that display on the map side. At least you can see if you missed you exit or off route.

Walking around the city, def. nice to have.

imyopusha31 no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~quick question...but did anyone else purchase an 8800 and find that it did NOT come preloaded with BB Maps? And I would like to know if RIM has updated the software

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Personally, I can't see going through the hassle of purchasing and carrying a second device. I can't even stand carrying a BB and a cell phone as some people do -- much less a BB, cell phone, and GPS. I've had excellent experiences with Telenav on the 8800 but it has obvious limitation since maps are streamed. That said, it has never been an issue for me so far. YMMV depending on your needs and preferences of course.

Imyopusha31 -- if you read this thread you'll see that Cingular's 8800 does not come with BBmaps. Follow the links provided for instructions if you really want it but BBmaps is pretty worthless IMO.

I haven't seen any indication that installing any other GPS apps is restricted by Cingular's 8800 but I haven't tried using any of the other BB GPS apps yet.

Quote Originally Posted by windyboy
    BBmaps is far from navigation software most GPS devices come with.
    Preloaded BBmaps only show your location, but no driving directions from A to B.
    Have you tried Mapquest Navigator? It won't read street names but it will announce turns and exit numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    I haven't seen any indication that installing any other GPS apps is restricted by Cingular's 8800 but I haven't tried using any of the other BB GPS apps yet.
    I've successfully installed and used Mapquest Navigator so Cingular isn't blocking 3rd party GPS apps. They're just not shipping the 8800 with BBmaps (no big loss).
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-20-2007 at 11:27 AM.

StevenT007 no está en línea Stack level 1

Telenav works great...it the same service used in Hertz Neverlost I believe. I use it to drive to clients all of the time. My issue is that if I receive a call, the Telenav stops working...this is a pain in my butt as I often have to take calls while driving.

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

I've successfully installed and used Mapquest Navigator so Cingular isn't blocking 3rd party GPS apps. They're just not shipping the 8800 with BBmaps (no big loss).[/quote]

Takeshi,
    does the mapquest navigator privide streamlined directions and maps? Never mind that, I already foudn the answer, but most importantly it appears that Mapquest navigator does not work with Cingular. If so, how did you get it to work?
    Last edited by tessitori; 03-21-2007 at 10:26 PM.

I told it I have a Sprint 8703e. Someone on another forum site tried this and couldn't get it to work. Still, it's worth checking out as it's actually a decent free GPS app.

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

As soon as I get my new 8800 I will try installing it! I had to send my Cingular one back because they would not PM Amazon's offer and after Cingular receives it I will be placing a new order. I will trick to think it's the 8700 and see if I can get that application to work.

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Re: thoughts on 8800 GPS application

FYI, BB 8800 arrived to me today from T-Mobile UK (they just got them in yesterday).

BB Maps was installed on it out of the box (and it's new). I clicked start GPS in the BBMaps app, and in a few seconds it had found 7 satellites (while I was sitting in a house), was locked on, and I was "good to go". BBMaps appears to cover the UK (and probably a bunch of other places at that as they showed up in the global map view when it started up.) Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

bunky1971 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22F29DE1

ONBOARD/SD Card Maps

Just curious if the TomTom(r) software worked? I can't stand not having an onboard map software program. Someone has to make a Java based system. SOMEWHERE?@?@!!!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by windyboy View Post
    Hi, all:
    This is my first post here. Per the GPS on BB8800, cingular charges additional unmentioned monthly fee for using the advertised GPS navigation.

GPS service should be independent of whatever cell phone network.

US taxpayers have financed those 24 GPS satellites and cingular is trying to cash in again ?
    I am a person tend to reject extortion /bad biz practice like that.

I see an easy workaround, which I haven't seen any discussion on it. Would like to have your opinions on this:
    We buy BB8800, we buy independent third party GPS navigation software (such as tomtom, Mio, Mapopolis, etc) and run it on this BB8800. Doing this, we pay one time charge ($120 or so) and got service free.

Just curious whether this would work ? If so, customers win big time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12