Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, all: This is my first post here. Per the GPS on BB8800, cingular charges ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

windyboy no está en línea Stack level 1

thoughts on 8800 GPS application

Advertisement

Hi, all:
    This is my first post here. Per the GPS on BB8800, cingular charges additional unmentioned monthly fee for using the advertised GPS navigation.

GPS service should be independent of whatever cell phone network.

US taxpayers have financed those 24 GPS satellites and cingular is trying to cash in again ?
    I am a person tend to reject extortion /bad biz practice like that.

I see an easy workaround, which I haven't seen any discussion on it. Would like to have your opinions on this:
    We buy BB8800, we buy independent third party GPS navigation software (such as tomtom, Mio, Mapopolis, etc) and run it on this BB8800. Doing this, we pay one time charge ($120 or so) and got service free.

Just curious whether this would work ? If so, customers win big time!

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Re: thoughts on 8800 GPS application

They are charging for Telenav Service.

You can download BBMaps and use that for free.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

cv
    cv no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB
    (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Doesn't BB maps come preloaded on the 8800?

jloverg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

i used the map today it was great i find where i was going with no problem i think you guys should to the same

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You can always use BBmaps as mistadobolin says if paying for Telenav bothers you. Besides, you're not paying Cingular for use of the GPS satellites. You're paying Telenav for providing streaming (the maps have to be hosted on servers and they also need to be connected to the net) and updated maps. You can certainly try to use the GPS receiver without maps for free, if you'd like...

I'm sure if TomTom worked on the 8800 you'd hear about people using it. Garmin's working on a BB GPS app as I understand.

windyboy no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi, All:
    Thanks for your input.
    BBmaps is far from navigation software most GPS devices come with.
    Preloaded BBmaps only show your location, but no driving directions from A to B.

Somehow the idea of streaming maps through network to the BB is new to me. Why not just save map data to a SD card, provided the BB has memory expansion? Because the update of map can be done offline. Whoever comes up with the idea of streaming map data from a server to phone has to get "F" for a technical test. Because this idea makes no sense except for jamming network traffic and jacking up consumer's cost.

bluskye no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by windyboy
    Hi, All:
    Thanks for your input.
    Preloaded BBmaps only show your location, but no driving directions from A to B.

Somehow the idea of streaming maps through network to the BB is new to me. Why not just save map data to a SD card, provided the BB has memory expansion? Because the update of map can be done offline. Whoever comes up with the idea of streaming map data from a server to phone has to get "F" for a technical test. Because this idea makes no sense except for jamming network traffic and jacking up consumer's cost.
    There's an easy answer to this :

1. Telenav only has to write the thin client to display streamed data for each of the devices it supports
    2. You can never pirate Telenav's service as TomTom's PDA software has fallen victim to since you never really have all the software for TeleNav. You can easily find TomTom's software/maps on the net to install onto your favorite windows mobile device.
    3. The entire North America set of mapping data takes approx 1GB whether from NavTeq or Teleatlas.
    4. You dont have to physically distribute your product, it's simply downloaded since it's < 1MB

The business model makes sense, it works. Google does the same thing with Google Maps, but the free Google Maps doesnt support GPS.... YET. Google Earth Pro supports GPS navigation for the laptop with bluetooth gps reciever. I am waiting for them to unleash this ability for free for mobile devices.

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Given the BB 8800's ability to at least accept LBS (location-based services) coupled with GPS, it seems the time ought to have arrived for someone, such as Google, to deliver LBS data. In fact, as bluskye's response implies, Google could just link two-way data exchange with Google Earth. Users would have access to data (eg. where's the nearest coffee shop to me?) but could also enrich the LBS database by uploading data (ie. I'm at GPS location lat/long and I've just had a great coffee - click submit - done).

Although 3G seems to be 9 - 12 months away (still), surely even GPRS/EDGE could allow this type of interaction.
    • Does anyone know about progress in this area?
    • Can the 8800 do some portions of this acceptably today (ignoring point-to-point driving/walking directions for now)?

rpool no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile Re: thoughts on 8800 GPS application

I tried to go to the Blackberry site (/maps) and load the Blackberry Maps onto my 8800, and the site responded back with "Unsupported Device"..

I contacted Rim (Through our T-Support), and they replied back:

"Cingular has chosen to not release BlackBerry Maps with their current software release for the BlackBerry 8800 handheld. Please contact Cingular for further information."

I too am looking for an app (like Google Maps) that will use the GPS capability in the 8800.

Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3

I have BBry maps on my 8800 and it works...it's just not as robust as I'd like

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Right -- that's precisely why I use Telenav. Your choices at the moment are the free but mediocre and nearly useless for driving BBMaps or the pay-for Telenav service and maybe 1 or 2 others at best like Waypoint? You'll have to do the homework here to find out -- it has been discussed already here and/or on Blackberryforums. There will probably be more options down the road but you've got to pick your poison at this point.

Telenav works great -- that's what matters in the end to me. Yes, you could end up in an area without data service and therefore no maps but with maps stored on the card you easily end up with outdated maps. It's a compromise no matter how the vendor decides to implement it...

Quote Originally Posted by bluskye
    Google does the same thing with Google Maps, but the free Google Maps doesnt support GPS.... YET.
    Precisely. Google Maps streams its maps yet no one complains -- I guess because it's free...

Quote Originally Posted by zentient
    Given the BB 8800's ability to at least accept LBS (location-based services) coupled with GPS, it seems the time ought to have arrived for someone, such as Google, to deliver LBS data.
    Telenav and Infospace's app both do this already.

Quote Originally Posted by rpool
    "Cingular has chosen to not release BlackBerry Maps with their current software release for the BlackBerry 8800 handheld. Please contact Cingular for further information."
    Check out BlackberryForums.com -- there's a thread there on getting BBMaps working on the 8800c. It's not quite as straightforward as just installing BBMaps OTA but not too bad either... I don't recall if there's a similar thread here on Pinstack or not. Sorry but you'll have to do the homework to find it.

US taxpayers have financed those 24 GPS satellites and cingular is trying to cash in again ?
    I am a person tend to reject extortion /bad biz practice like that.
    We buy BB8800, we buy independent third party GPS navigation software (such as tomtom, Mio, Mapopolis, etc) and run it on this BB8800. Doing this, we pay one time charge ($120 or so) and got service free.
    So selling GPS service is "extortion" but selling GPS software isn't? Both approaches make money off of taxpayer dollars invested in the GPS satellites so I don't understand your reasoning. One is a subscription model and the other isn't... If you don't like subscriptions that's your opinion and fine but it doesn't make it extortion.

ex·tor·tion /ɪkˈstɔrʃən/
    –noun The crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-09-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Smile Re: thoughts on 8800 GPS application

Here's the latest from Rim T-Support on Blackberry Maps in the Cingular 8800:

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The BlackBerry 8800 from Cingular at this time is unable to install the BlackBerry Maps application from any source. It is currently at the discretion of Cingular which services can be used on the handheld. I am not able to comment of the reasons behind this and would advise you to contact Cingular for more information regarding your questions.

Sounds like they have a DEAL with Telenav to make people PAY for GPS mapping.

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Telenav and Infospace's app both do this already.
    Thank you for the pointer; since posting I have discovered a few services that appear to provide some LBS data. Unfortunately it seems there are some limitations:
    • most of these services are LBS data for the USA, and I'm not there
    • most of these services appear to be geared at drivers, not pedestrians (yes, I have the luxury of living without a car )
    • I don't think any of these services put all the different data sets in one place (ie. the depth and breadth of a US yellow pages, including, for example, restaurants, train stops, hospitals, you name it)

Please do correct me, though, if these already exist and I've simply not found it yet. I would be genuinely happy to find such a service!

Thumbs up Re: thoughts on 8800 GPS application

I found a way to get blackberry maps into a Cingular 8800 !!!

1. Go download Desktop Manager 4.2
    2. Go download the firmware from the Blackberry Site
    3. See the info at : http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...-1-1-27-a.html

It works!

kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast