The perfect BB for me would by a narrower 8800 with sure type No camera ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

chancer no está en línea Stack level 1

The New 8800 with Sure Type

Advertisement

The perfect BB for me would by a narrower 8800 with sure type
    No camera and i dont want a pearl
    Any thoughts? I have a 7130c right now and love it

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391

Re: The New 8800 with Sure Type

Don't laugh at my stupidity, wouldn't the phone you want be something like a Pearl?
    The major reason that RIM produced 8800 is because a lot of people gotta have the full QWERTY keyboard with the latest OS.
    So 8800 is like a wider Pearl with no camera but full QWERTY.
    Now you are talking about a narrower 8800 with suretype?
    I am a bit confused...

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

What you are describing is a pearl without a camera. lol, you dont have to use the camera. Or if you are on BES, you can have the camera disabled.

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~A narrower 8800 with SureType would be the 8100 Pearl. It has a camera, but I doubt RIM will release one without, as that BB is geared more towards the consumer market as opposed to the business market. The 81XX series has replaced the 71XX series so if you are happy with a 7130 but want to upgrade, the Pearl would be the obvious choice. QWERTY and SureType are the only two options as far a keyboard layouts, so if you don't want the full keyboard(QWERTY) and want the newest device you are pretty much limited to the 8100. There hasn't been any mention of any other devices in the near future other than the 8800, but maybe there will be a camera-less 81XX series device that would fill your requirements in the future. Good luck with your hunt. Hope this clears everything up for you.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Take a good look at that 7130c you have in your hand. It's one of the best BlackBerrys ever.

Why or what else are you looking for?

~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

i don't understand...a narrower 8800 is a pearl though. The 8800 is based off the 8100 just with a full qwerty keyboard. I don't think there will be any options for you with all the specifications you are looking for.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Hmm I agree, I'm pretty sure you can expect that down the line, maybe they will release a pearl without a camera. If rim did that, I think that would be a smart move. But I personally love the the pearl. It just fits everything I do!!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Again, the Pearl is the "SureType 8800". No need to crosspost on this.

I understand what "chancer" is talking about. I have 3 BB's at the moment a Pearl, 7130c & 8700c.

I have the three layed out on my desk side by side for comparison. These represent three distinctive sizes. Small, Medium & Large.

As most of you know the Pearl & 7130 are SureType. However that is all they have in common, as the 7130 is a business device with the same basic OS & functionality as the 8700. So in actuality the 7130 is closest to the 8700, not the 8100.

The 8100 is a consumer multimedia device with a music player & camera. It is also significantly smaller. It also features an occaisional use keyboard consisting of keys glued to a rubber membrane.

This keyboard in no way provides the normal feedback or tactile response of a standard keyboard like the ones on the 7130 & 8700.

I know this because the very reason I purhased the 8100 was to see if it would serve as a 7130 replacement. I was very attracted to the smaller size because I prefer to carry my BlackBerry in my pocket.

After three weeks of using the 8100 and living with the very small cramped keyboard it was apparent that it would not work for me. It's a great model for consumers but not for business. This is reflected by all the corporations that do not allow anything except the 7130 or 8700.

So frankly I was surprized when the 7130c was discontinued especially since it was only on the market only 6 months. Therefore the natural question as I see it, is RIM abandoning this form factor & size?

If so, that leaves the business users with just one choice, the 8800. In addition, the width of the 8800 is 4mm narrower than the 8700 which already had a somewhat cramped keyboard.

In my opinion the 7130 was the "sweet spot"for those who wanted a BB than looked more like a phone & less like a slab. If the 7130 model did not sell well, I hold RIM responsible for not promoting it and making people aware of such a fine device.

As a result they have just two current models to offer in stead of three.

Since the 8100 is relatively new & competing in the extremely fast moving consumer space, if sales begin to taper off RIM may suffer from the reduction in models.

The 8800 is indeed a very good looking model which will surely perform well.

The downside is the loyal, happy business users of the 7130 which have been left abandoned.

Archer - I could not have said it better myself thankyou, I thought I was going crazy.

I will hold my 7130 until it is replaced or i lose it which is highly likely since i value it so much.

BB!! Just give me a suretype 8800 which i hope will logically be slightly narrower than the existing 8800 but not so small as the 8100, I dont need a music player or camera but the wifi will probably be useful. I am a business user who doesnt want to carry around a wide slab nor do i want to carry around something as small as a pearl.

The same face surface area as the 7130 would be perfect, slightly thinner in depth better still........

Good banter everyone, perhaps we should go work in the marketting dept!!

Chancer & I are on the same page here.

In fact what I chose to do the moment I heard the mere mention of the word discontinued, was to go to my Cingular store and purchase another one.

That way I have another in case something happens to this one.

Especially since I've already had Treo's, a Moto-Q & Blackjack. None of which came even close to the reliability, speed, and usefulness of the BlackBerry.

I have a couple of friends thinking of doing the same thing. Since at that time we could not get a confirmation from RIM if it was discontinued, they waited. Then all of a sudden they were gone.

I spoke to my Cingular business rep this morning, & there is no hint of any chance they will create a model to replace the 7130 in the near future.

That said I still cannot imagine why they chose to discontinue it so soon after it's launch date. Not even a year old?

It would be interesting to hear what that decision was based on.

Cheers

Chancer & I are on the same page here.

In fact what I chose to do the moment I heard the mere mention of the word discontinued, was to go to my Cingular store and purchase another one.

That way I have another in case something happens to this one.

Especially since I've already had Treo's, a Moto-Q & Blackjack. None of which came even close to the reliability, speed, and usefulness of the BlackBerry.

I have a couple of friends thinking of doing the same thing. Since at that time we could not get a confirmation from RIM if it was discontinued, they waited. Then all of a sudden they were gone.

I spoke to my Cingular business rep this morning, & there is no hint of any chance they will create a model to replace the 7130 in the near future.

That said I still cannot imagine why they chose to discontinue it so soon after it's launch date. Not even a year old?

It would be interesting to hear what that decision was based on.

Cheers

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Interesting perspective chancer and archer. So if I understand what you're saying, it is that the Pearl is too small and flat. Some people want something a bit chunkier. I can appreciate what you're saying there. My other cell phone is a "brick". Had it for over 8 years. Love it.

If the market is big enough, RIM could make an awesome device with all that space to use. They could stick in more memory, a bigger battery, a stronger antenna. Why miniaturize if you don't have to?

Interesting thoughts...

There you go......

Look at the form factor of the 7130, the surface area on the face is close to perfect, it maybe could lose a little in terms of depth.

It has a welcome ruggedness about it, i.e. its solid in the hand, perfect for business. Now, with that shell, imagine what you could cram in there with todays technology and at the same time ignore the silly camera and other useless twaddle thats on the pearl........

I wonder if i could find a 7130 on ebay to use as stock?

how does the roller ball perform under serious use? any good?

I love the thumbwheel but could be swayed.

Funny, I just bought a brand new 7130C on ebay, so I have a reserve unit waiting if something unfortunate should happen to my current trusty friend.
    Come on BB figure this out!!!
    Thanks all, i shall now shut up but thanks for the inspiration.