So I got my new 8830 and am trying to use it as a tethered ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

donbunch no está en línea Stack level 1

tethered modem problem killing me- error 720

Advertisement

So I got my new 8830 and am trying to use it as a tethered modem. I keep getting the following error.

It goes like this:
    using the Sprint Mobile Broadband Client - (which could use some logging and detailed connection activity btw)
    1) I bring it up - it says connecting
    2) I see a flash of Authenticating.. which instantly goes away
    3) then I see Disconnecting...
    4) then I get this... "Unable to connect. Dial-up networkiing error #720 has occured. A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.

I have tried quite a few things, but no luck. Any one else fighting this issue. Have spent a few days on it now and when I call Sprint support, they say things like 'reinstall' and 'never heard of this before'... Yes, I have reinstalled and have the latest BB Desktop Manager 4.3. Everything else works on the phone - mail flowing - internet access via the browser - etc. Just need the tethered modem to work. Help........

Don

wasntxme no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2408fbdc

Re: tethered modem problem killing me- error 720

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Do a search on this site for "tethered modem". There is a long tutorial including detailed instructions on a word doc.

I personally gave up on Sprint after a week. Nothing but problems. TMobile is the cheapest (phone+plan) option but Verizon seems to win big on the Data speed.

If your 30 days with Sprint hasn't expired, consider running for the hills with your money-back.

donbunch no está en línea Stack level 1

Cant go back. We are being forced over to sprint. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

What kind of network service are you experiencing while you're trying to login? Could it be that you're not in a good data service area? It seems that if I have bars I can tether, but I live in a fairly metropolitan area.

megawhizz no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am having an identical problem. Followed the tethering instructions step by step, but no help. Network service is good, I am able to browse the internet on the device with no issues. Only tethering fails with error 720.

Curiously, the network was working fine earlier, since the last week or so I have been unable to connect despite making no configuration changes...

Any advice is appreciated!

MW

iamgeniusrnti no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by wasntxme View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Do a search on this site for "tethered modem". There is a long tutorial including detailed instructions on a word doc.

I personally gave up on Sprint after a week. Nothing but problems. TMobile is the cheapest (phone+plan) option but Verizon seems to win big on the Data speed.

If your 30 days with Sprint hasn't expired, consider running for the hills with your money-back.
    I love it when someone asks for help and another member fires back with "do a search". I understand telling lazy people to do a search before asking is prudent as to avoid duplicate threads but I think this response is getting abused.

This person is getting a 720 error and it is due to an issue with Windows WAN miniport driver, not the blackberry. It is not a common problem and there aren't too many solutions out there. One user offers a solution on here. I can't post a link but if you type "Evil 720" in google, you will quickly find it.

But that solution is convoluted and doesn't work. I crashed my IP stack following his advice and had to do a sys restore.

That error pops up on me after I disconnect and try to reconnect hours later. I wind up having to reboot the machine. I am fairly convinced I need to reinstall the WAN miniport IP driver. I don't have time to tinker with it right now though but if anyone crosses this thread with the dreaded 720... you are probably screwed.

megawhizz no está en línea Stack level 1
    After extensive google searching, the problem was indeed related to the IP stack. Also it seems like it was a problem peculiar to IBM Thinkpads, and related to all dialup connections.

I can't find my original link, but a google search for "thinkpad error 720 dun" and clicking on the link at lenovo forums leads to a page that looks similar (pinstack will not allow me to post the link directly)

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    DonBunch, do you have the BBA feature added to your plan? You will need that feature added in order for the tethering option to function. If my memory serves me correctly, that error is consistent with a plan that does not have that feature added. I'm a VZW agent, I can check your plan if you like to make sure that you have that feature added if you do not know.

C.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."