hello all, i just upgraded from a pearl and bought a used 8800 and i'm ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

davey.mac no está en línea Stack level 2

Switching out Trackballs

Advertisement

hello all, i just upgraded from a pearl and bought a used 8800 and i'm not digging the blueness (stupid cingular). i went ahead and got a black housing from cnn.cn and it's in the mail. anywho, i'm going to be replacing everything anyways and i hate how dirty the trackball gets. without 'colorpearl' to disguise just how dirty the trackball is, i was going to replace the trackball with a steel ball bearing or something similar. does anyone see any huge problems with this? am i going to be crushing any delicate sensors back there? do you think the rollers will recognize the new ball? i haven't taken it apart yet so i'm not sure about the mechanism. i just wanted to hear everyone's take on things....thanks!

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Re: Switching out Trackballs

dont think it will be good on the internal parts let alone the ball bearing would get slippery than the rubber feel.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i also dont think that would work to good might be wrong but better safe then sorry

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

I wouldn't recommend it. The trackball designed by RIM is specially designed to work specifically for the BB. I would never try to replace it with anything else for fear of it interfering with the hardware within the BB.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I think the key here, is to remember that each and every BlackBerry model is indeed carefully thought out, and created by very experienced engineers. Each time a new model is created these engineers draw on their past experiences, the failure analysis reports that are done within the company based on returned units, warrantly claims and other forms of information avaiable to them on what worked and what didn't.

I know that sometimes it's frustrating when one has a certain problem, however these are very complicated devices which are not easy to design in a fashion that will appeal to absolutely everyone. Therefore, they must choose the most sought after features as relayed to them through careful market research, speaking to their large enterprise customers etc.

By "changing" any aspect or component of this device based on (what is with all due respect) guesswork, is a sure ticket to failure.

It would be far better to exchange it, or ask for a warranty repair if it's that big of a problem, or replace it with something else if that appeals to you. But to take it upon oneself to re-engineer the device is beyond reason.

archer, i believe you're missing the point here. i don't have a problem with the phone other than a cosmetic issue. the trackball gets dirty, that's a fact. as for asking for a warranty repair, i highly doubt that would fly. my plan is to 'mod' a phone to my personal likings, maybe it's vanity, who knows?

i understand that rim researches their phones and i've come to enjoy their product and that's why i opted to upgrade to the 8800 and not the iphone. however these products may be considered 'first generation' in the area where i'm concerned, i.e. the trackball. so i'm pretty sure past experiences from engineers are null and void.

if people weren't 'bold' enough to try new things than what good is that? re-engineering products are inevitable, otherwise we'd all still be driving around in model-T's! i understand your concern, but after all that i still think i'm going to go through with the mod. as long as i can find a ball bearing (or something similar) that fits, i'll do it and i'll post pictures whenever it's done. i've got to at least test drive it for a week or so. i'll let you all know how it goes.

...in the case that i can't find a good fit for the trackball, does anyone know of a good stain repellant that i may be able to dip the new oem trackball in to prevent it from getting dirty?

ryldup no está en línea Stack level 1

Please don't take offense to this, but I have to wonder what you are doing to "stain" your trackball or get it that dirty. I've had my 8830 for 3 months in all types of conditions, and it is not "dirty", I'm sure there's some amount of germs on it without putting Purel on it. But I really haven't noticed anything on it. Just my $0.02

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i say wtf... Its ur BB so go for it!

as far as getting it 'dirty' it's not on purpose, just regular use. i know it was an issue witth the pearl where it would just gather dirt like a magnet. mine was a mess and i coddled it like a baby. i kept it in cases and everything. i've noticed with this phone the trackball is actually a bit cleaner and i know it's a couple of months old. maybe rim did change their trackballs for the 88xx series. but compare your phone to a brand-new out of the box 8830 and you just may be surprised.

thanks for the encouragement jchap, i'm going to the hardware store tomorrow to try to find a good replacement.

as for others who may be skeptical, would you consider using a plastic bead instead?