I bought a used 8800 several months ago. I have never gotten the same amount ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Suddenly poor reception with 8800

Advertisement

I bought a used 8800 several months ago. I have never gotten the same amount of bars as with my Pearl , and maybe not as good of reception, but now I can't get much of anything. My Pearl gets 3-4 bars inside my house and no problem receiving data. The 8800 fades in and out and I can't receive any data. If I go to an area with a really strong signal it will work. Could the antenna go bad? Is something like this repairable? Thanks for any input.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f389df

Re: Suddenly poor reception with 8800

If this is a new phone I wold back it up and bring it back to where you bought it and have it exchanged. if it is a little older then speak with your provider about warrenty options.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

I bought it used so those are not options. I was wondering if anyone had taken one apart and fixed a possibly loose antenna or something. I'm grabbing for straws here!
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

JJTX77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    205CC334

Lightbulb Re: Suddenly poor reception with 8800

I, too, bought a used 8800 and I am having reception issues. However, I've never been able to get good reception from it.

I have a Cingular branded 8800 that I bought off Craig's List. I was pretty cautious and brought an active GoPhone SIM to test it. However, the battery was low and I didn't know how good the signal was in the place where I tested it, so I didn't notice a problem until later after I paid for an unlock code and started trying to use it with my T-Mobile service. The unlock went fine, but the first day I carried it, I noticed it was getting really poor reception at work. I noted that my T-Mobile branded and unlocked 8700G with my VoiceStream SIM seemed to get better signal just about everywhere so I decided to do a test. All these tests were done with the phones in the same location and as controlled as I could make them. They were done in a room where most phones get 3-4 bars.

Phone, SIM, Network Display, Signal from Status page

8800, Cingular GoPhone SIM, AT&T, -100 to -103 dBm
    8800, VoiceStream SIM, T-Mobile, -94 to -103 dBm
    8700G, Cingular GoPhone SIM, AT&T, -81 to -85 dBm
    8700G, VoiceStream SIM, T-Mobile, -84 to -87 dBm

Something esle of interest is that in "Manage Connections -> Services Status -> Voice Services -> Status: roaming" with T-Mobile and "Status: available" on AT&T. I don't think this has anything to do with my problem since the reception seems to be poor on both T-Mobile and AT&T.

The Device ID is 102 and it's running the latest OS from AT&T's site v4.2.1.79 (Platform 2.3.0.74) and before that I tried the latest OS from T-Mobile's site. The water damage sticker is white on the device, but red on the battery and I don't see any obvious signs of physical damage except the USB and headphone jack seem slightly out of alignment with their cutouts in the chrome part of the case but I think I've seem other 8800s that looked that way. I don't think the guy who sold it to me was trying sell me a broken phone, he said he got a new IPhone (which I saw) and didn't use it anymore.

Sorry this doesn't help your problem but perhaps you some someone can use this info to figure out what problem we have and if it's even the same problem. In the meantime I just bought a "new" T-Mobile badged 8800 off E-Bay as this is my work phone and it has to be reliable but if I could fix this 8800 I'm sure I could do something with it.

J.J.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i think this is a problem with all 8800 models i have a 8830 and my signal kept acting strange after research i found i wasnt alone my 8830 was brand new by the way but i downloaded verizons OS because it was updated in aug and now i dont have anymore problems i know this isnt a solution but i guess with the new OS update for your provider yopu should be ok just hold out

PIN/ID
    205CC334

Lightbulb Re: Suddenly poor reception with 8800

This is a update to the reply I made regarding signal on the 8800. I've been using the new 8800 for I guess a week now and all the problems I mentioned above regarding singal have disappeared. The "Voice Services Status: roming" is also on this (T-Mobile) unit, so I think that was a red herring. I strongly suspect some kind of physical damage to my previous 8800 as the port alignment problem mentioned above is not there on my new 8800.

I'd be interested if anyone has any suggestions on fixing an 8800 with bad recpection. Perhaps something related to the antenna was jarred loose? I've really got nothing to lose. I might just open it up and look inside.

Also, just out of curiosity, what IS that "Voice Services Status: roming" really telling me?

J.J.

PIN/ID
    205CC334

I finally opened the problem 8800 mentioned above. I discovered that a tiny piece of coax that connects the motherboard to the antenna is frayed on the bottom end at the connector. This coax runs from right above the battery to right below it and it's white. One can only see it with the case removed. I have no idea how it could have gotten frayed. I moved it around and unplugged it and this affected reception. It's too damaged and I wasn't able to position it in a way that gave me good signal. I am going to search around on the Internet and see if I can find a replacement cable. I'm betting if I replace this cable my reception problem will be fixed. To anyone having reception problem on an out-of-warranty 8800, it might be worth you time to check this cable.

J.J.

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3

I have had my first blackberry for 3 weeks now. I just figured they have crappy reception. Right now in my office my 8800 gives me only GPRS, my iphone gives me EDGE full bars, and my nokia E90 comunicator gives me 3G