Does it cost for switching from 1XEV (cdma) to GSM or global if you have ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

N1tr0u543 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c87f57

sprint coverage

Advertisement

Does it cost for switching from 1XEV (cdma) to GSM or global if you have the unlimited data pack? My 8830 will all of a sudden go from 1XEV to 1x etc. And I have a quote from sprint 8830s spexs: • Sprint Mobile Broadband: Where available experience broadband-like data speeds averaging up to 400-700 kbps and peak speeds up to 2.0 Mbps when accessing Sprint Power Vision... When I download any file I avg about 12 kbps. Not 400. Maybe 400 kbpm. But no where close to 400 kbps. And what is sprint power vision? Thx for tolerating my ignorance. : )

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: sprint coverage

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    1XEV means hi-speed data.
    1xev menas no data - only voice

Sprint has horrible coverage and that's one reason why you keep getting slow speeds. Even though VZW and Sprint are both CDMA carriers, VZW uses a lower radio frequency thus getting more distance out of each tower and thus having a better network.

Another reason you are getting slow downloads is that even with the best connection your 8830 is cpu-bound meaning that it can't receive/download any additional data until it finishes processing the packets it just downloaded. We confirmed this by setting up a notebook with a VZW aircard next to a VZW blackberry and timing the downloads. We repated the same tests with Sprint equipment.

You can't switch to GSM or global because your 8830 does not have North American GSM. In the U.S. It communicates via CDMA. You would have to get a Sprint sim card and activate it with Sprint to habe non-North American GSM. We just set someone up for this and in a few weeks when they return I'll find out how it went.

Hope this helps.

javarican no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ My apologies, but to say that coverage from a particular network is horrible is naďve. On CDMA, coverage and speeds are dependent on distance to the tower, but this is not as important as how much traffic is being carried by the serving tower. So, you could be a few blocks away from a site that serves a college campus and have a hard time getting a high speed connection. Nothing to do with the freqs at all.
    Anyway... To answer the question, 1X CDMA (powervision) means speeds of UP TO 150kbps and this is what the phone will use most of the time. 1XEV (EVDO) can generate much higher speeds but you will generally see around 400-700kbps down and about half that for uploads. Generally carriers require a broadband plan to access this portion of the network so you are only likely to see speeds around the 100k mark. Hope this helps.

N1tr0u543 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32c87f57

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ exactly what I needed. But I have 1 more Q. If I tether to a computer, will I reach any higher of speeds? I mean 12 kbps isn't to slow but I couldve stayed with my 7520 and kept that. I just wander where the 400 kbps kicks in when I have never seen speeds above 28 kbps. Thnx a lot thought u answered my question exaclty.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Pluging your bb will give you similar speeds unless you have the broadband plan. You can add the service to your bb and use it as a high speed modem.

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

i get it every where
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Javarican - I apologize if I offended you in any way but I stand behind my comments. I've worked with network engineers from several different mobile phone companies (incuding both Sprint and VZW), have tested many types of equipment in many locations, have done test while in vehicles crossing hundreds of miles per test, set up 802.11 networks via tethed modems that moved at highway speeds (yes 802.11 networks with a router in one vehicle and the end-nodes in other vehicles), and more. Sprint network consistently performed the worst. We have a Sprint device in testing right now in a remote location and we can't get any signal on it so the tester was forced to abandon it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~No offense taken. I just see too many posts bashing this or that carrier way too often just based on commercials.
    The only comment I disagree with is "the more distance=better network". From a design perspective this would be fine for a TDMA, GSM or iDEN networks (as long as you have enough spectrum). But in CDMA the larger footprint will cause large neighbor lists, hard hand offs and sites with high carrier counts. I guess that would be fine for a rural or suburban area, but it wouldn't for an urban setting. Either way, this is an engineering style preference. My point is simply that any network can perform well if it is engineered right.