Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was hoping maybe one of you uberbb gurus could help with this headscratcher. I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

AngryFish no está en línea Stack level 1

Sprint 8830 Roaming Question

Advertisement

I was hoping maybe one of you uberbb gurus could help with this headscratcher.

I have a Sprint BB 8830 and love almost everything about it except what appears to be a crippled version of the "Manage Connections" tool. I have a very weak sprint signal in some areas of my home and was accustomed to setting my other phone into roam manually.

The "Manage Connections" tool on my 8830 shows only 1 choice under the mobile network settings and that is "Automatic". With "Automatic" the phone constantly switches between 1 and 0 bars and drops calls. Occasionally it will roam onto the vzw tower and then I will have 4 bars of 1x signal.

Is there a way to reverse engineer something in the OS to allow me to set roaming in that menu?Thanks,

AngryFish
    Last edited by AngryFish; 08-23-2007 at 12:50 PM.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Sprint 8830 Roaming Question

Yes this leads to the same menu, however try to go to options, then Mobile Network. From there try to change the option. Have you tried to reboot your BB, or even reload the OS?

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

I don't think we can change that manually well at least I don't know how. I have tried but it just stays on Automatic. But when it does need to roam it just does it by itself. I have a buddy with a sprint phone not a bb and he has to give the phone permission to roam so he says. But I must say that I am much happier having any coverage with sprint than having no coverage with the T guys.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

You can change it to roam only, home only, or automatic. I am looking right at those options right now.

I must be missing something. I am in mobile network options I see automatic but can't change that to anything else. I seel network mode and can change that to global,gsm,1xev.

PIN/ID
    3056468b

When you first powered on the device it said there is a sim inserted, would you like your phone to automatically choose the currently available network... What did you choose? Take out the sim and put it in again and see if you can get that message.

Im not sure what to say, do you have the original OS that came witht he 8830? I have those options and can screenshot if need be.

dont remember but the phone displays the following: data services : on/mobile network: sprint pcs/
    network selectiion mode: automatic/network mode: 1xev

I just took out the sim/ reinserted batt. I'll let it fire up and then pull batt and reinsert sim and see what happens. I have no problems with the phone. Sometimes I lose data connection but still have voice. It would be a real treat if the data connection would switch to verizon when I lose it though

PIN/ID
    3056468b

I lose data connection now each time I visit the web. No matter where I am at, no matter what signal strength, the 1XEV will totally disappear. A reboot will solve the problem, but this is becoming annoying!

For the issue of not changing the roaming option, Im not sure. I can, so cal my friend who has one here. Anyone else able to, or not able to?

So I tried some of the suggestions posted here and still no luck. doesnt matter which way I access the menu. Automatic is the only option available. The issue seems to be that for some reason sprint has disabled the other selections so that automatic is the only one available. Hrmm...

Contacted sprint and they really havent been able to give me any help on the issue. It seems that there are very few techs there who have actually seen an 8830 much less become proficient with one.

Still trying to find a way to unlock the capability of setting my roaming options.

bikedogrun no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jpl572103
    I must be missing something. I am in mobile network options I see automatic but can't change that to anything else. I seel network mode and can change that to global,gsm,1xev.
    Interesting. At a minimum, you should have both automatic (will roam when it needs to) and home (Sprint only).

I know my other Sprint phone (Sanyo 8400) and my family's 3 Sanyo Katana phones all had the Sprint-only, Roam-only or Automatic options. I've not seen a Sprint 8830 that has had the roaming option available to choose, however. Would be nice, but I live in a very strong Sprint signal area, so haven't had the problem. When traveling, it will roam fine.

I also just love this 8830, best phone I've ever had ... the cleanest calls of any cell I've ever had too!

/BD

I wholeheartedly agree on the quality of this phone and with the exception of the lack of a way to force roaming I am happy with it. My last phone was a katana and this has way better quality than the katana ever did.

ElCamino no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Becareful or you'll end up bein a CrackBerry addict. The 8830 is very good phone have bein useing since the release date.

ksonderling no está en línea Stack level 1

Has anyone figured out this problem? Any word on if the next phone update software will have the correction? I still can barely use my phone in my apartment, unless its locked into roam!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast