So right now I use a Pearl 8100 but the 8820 caught my eye GPS ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Joe4pal no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Soon to be new to 8820

Advertisement

So right now I use a Pearl 8100 but the 8820 caught my eye GPS and Wifi built in sign me up, well anyway before I make the move which I'm sure will take longer then planned can someone answer a few questions?

Firstly my theme I love my Italy Zen theme it's the only one I've used since I got my pearl in May and I'm not good with change anyway to port it to a 8820? If not if there a different program to make themes for the 8820?

A more general Blackberry should I just wait for 4.3? Honestly I'm not gonna have a camera/ don't care about video recording but do you guys/girls think the phone will be able to take the upgrade?

Will my email automatically forward to my new phone or what will I have to do I'm on my personal plan which works just fine.

Finally tethering are there any different things to do with 8820 then there was with the pearl?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: Soon to be new to 8820

First, you won't be able to use the same theme for your 8820 from your Pearl. The theme won't be compatible but you can search for themes in the 8800 themes section that might be close to what you re using.

4.3 meaning the OS? This OS should be available for the newer 8800 series BB's but that is not certain at this point until release. Yes, your BB can take the upgrade as long as the release is confirmed for the 8800 series and compatible.

No your email will not forward automatically. You will need to log on to your BIS server and do a device change PIN and IMEI to your new BB. Then your emails will automatically forward to the new BB. I recommend a device transfer prior to switching as well. Don't forget to backup!

Tethering, you should be able to do it but the process might be slightly different. This is one area I'm not very familiar with.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Joe4pal no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Thanks Lavgirl, seems the main thing to do i get the email straightened out first.

davey.mac no está en línea Stack level 2

joe4pal,

i'm also one of those switching from a pearl to an 8820 (should get it in the mail tomorrow). however, lavagirl stated that you should do the 'switch device' method to sync up your phones. i've read that this can actually mess a couple of settings up on the 8820, though it's not absolutely detrimental to your new phone, it just may be a little frustrating when things may be missing from your menus.

to back up your phone i recommend doing a 'selective' backup/restore. this can be done by hitting the 'backup/restore' icon on your desktop manager then hitting 'advanced.' this way you can pick which files to backup; i.e. address book, sms messages, phone logs, calendar, tasks, emails, etc....i can't really remember exactly which menus get fudged up but i would just do a back up of those things i just mentioned (or any other equivalents, just avoid the other stuff). plug in your new phone, restore, and voila, there you are.

i can't really remember what stuff gets messed up but this way you're avoiding any potential hazards....