I am a part time stock trader and also work a full time job. The ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

anomalyberry no está en línea Stack level 1

Solution for stock trading and more, for Blackberry...

Advertisement

I am a part time stock trader and also work a full time job. The two clash on a daily basis and I purchased the Blackberry with stock trading in serious consideration. At work, I do have access to computer terminals throughout the work place and keep a quotes window open, on at least one computer at any one time; without any issues from co-workers (the computers are only used now-and-then). However, finding the time to get to them on a regular basis, especially when I'm momentum trading (stock traders know what I mean), could be very stressful at times. I always thought that having a trading platform in my pocket would be the cooolest thing and could save/make me money at the same time.

I have tried several stock trading platforms since I acquired my Blackberry 8830. I will not disclose the software that I have tried, since that would not be fair to the company (since I don't do reviews professionally). But I will tell you that the software developers that designed the software for stock quote purposes only want your money! The software is very unprofessional and basically useless for true trading practices. I needed a solution...

I was looking for brokerage account access and trading platform performance that my broker offers. I was looking for something user friendly, with a nice UI, that could actually give me true real-time stock quotes and charts. What I tried is freeware, shareware and buyware that is pure garbage!

A breakdown of a typical package from free to $+, is as follows. Real-time quotes have a 20 min delay. Do these people have a clue as to what real-time actually means? I can get a 20 min delayed quote from Yahoo! for free. I want to know what is going on in my stock(s) up to the minute, if not the second. When I glance at my BB, I want to see an up-to-the-minute quote not a delayed quote that is considered real-time? That is false advertising. Please...

I want an easily customizable watch-list without creating a tedious portfolio. Simply punch in the symbol and it's being tracked along with a list of others. Added to the list as you like. Nice and simple. Nicely presented in decent sized font on my BB screen.

A tiny mono-colored simple chart just doesn't cut it. I want to see a color, fully functional, indicator laced candle stick chart! Blackberry graphics and bandwidth can certainly handle it. What I get is a microscopic line chart with a 20 min. delay and no preference settings.

Now why can't anyone develop software that is of any use to a trader? With a little hair pulling and thought, I came up with a solution...

My broker, again I'll stay away from naming the company, has a really nice real-time quote window and a decent chart, Level II if you want it, as well. But I also subscribe to a really nice stocks charting website. Now what about actual trading through my BB? I'm thinking... I'm paying for all this useful software on my PC and I can't even access any of this through my Blackberry?!?! Now wait a second...

I decided to try out a Remote Desktop App just this morning and wallah! My brokerage account(s), my other accounts, real Real-time quotes, Level II, my personal charts, my notes, my spreadsheets, my software, my this, my that!!! All on my Blackberry 8830 anywhere, anytime!!! I can access anything in true real-time (3 second delay normal) and can even trade in real-time! Now we're talking!! Remote Desktops are not the be-all-end-all to BB trading or Apps, but it's damn close!

Think about it. You are already paying for your subscriptions and software. Now you have to double up to have the same flexibility on your BB? Why not get the best of both worlds and buy what you need and want for your PC and use just one piece of software on your Blackberry to access it all! The choice of Mobile Remote Desktop software is yours. There are several choices out there and I will be trying them all! Please feel free to post your suggestions.

Caution: Recommended for an Unlimited Data Access plan only!

Have fun and enjoy!

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Solution for stock trading and more, for Blackberry...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Depending on how much you want to pay there are some options for your Blackberry. Unfortunately the best option, Telerate Mobile, was killed when Reuters acquired Telerate last year.

For real-time data for any product you will need to pay monthly exchange fees to the various exchanges and monthly news fees to either Reuters or Dow Jones.

Exchange fees are normally NOT shared between seperate devices if those devices can simultaneously access the market. If the system you get automatically logs out of a previous session when a new session is established then the fees/feed can be shared. Exchange fees vary from $2.50/month for pink sheets to $127.25 for thr NYSE. A listing of exchange fees can be found here: http://interactivebrokers.com/en/acc...?ib_entity=llc. Then click on the tab corresponding to the part of the world you are interested in.

Real-time news fees can cost you as much as $175 - $200 per month depending on what you get. Normally the cost and data can be shared with a desktop application from the same vendor.

Now for the currently available apps...Remember that you have to talk to the vendor about exchange fees/news fees in addition to the product fees.

Reuters has a version 1.0 software that, when I last talked to Reuters, was not based on Telerate. Also you have to get their full desktop suite, Reuters 3000 Xtra which will run you in the $500+/month range.
    http://about.reuters.com.productinfo...scription.aspx

Globalview has a mobile browser product Marketview Wireless Access. This uses the browser on your mobile phone so you can't browse to anything else while this is running. This is a periodic refresh product, not real-time. Although the refresh rate can be set to a high frequency it is still not streaming data.
    http://www.gvsi.com/wireless/MV_wireless_brochure.pdf

Bloomberg has Bloomberg for Blackberry. As of this past summer it was a click-to-refresh product, not a real-time streaming product.
    http://about.bloomberg.com/software/info_bbm.html

ESignal has QuoTrek
    This is a real-time streaming program and is the cheapest of the lot, but it still isn't perfect. For perfection you'd need to resurect Telerate from the dead - it was that good.
    http://www.quotrek.com

Thomson (which just acquired Reuters) also has a product highly geared to the equities markets. I don't know pricing on this but their prices have traditionally been about 10% higher than Reuters.
    http://www.thomson.com/content/finan...Thomson_Mobile

I can also direct you to PyxisMobile who normally deals with mega_companies for this type of need but can probably give you even more leads than I can.
    http://www.pyxismobile.com/company/contact.asp

Good luck.

Wow! It's nice to see a fellow trader capitalizing on the use of a Blackberry. I appreciate your information that you have posted. I will be looking into it all, since I'm looking for a true trading platform solution on a Blackberry. The Remote software seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution but it has it's drawbacks. It seems like I'll be spending a lot of time perfecting the method of cheap and easy Blackberry trading. I'll post any milestones that I reach as I reach them.
    Last edited by anomalyberry; 11-28-2007 at 08:43 PM.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am responsible for technology for a fairly large trading house so if you want more details on anything related to this give me a way to contact you.

Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am responsible for technology for a fairly large trading house so if you want more details on anything related to this give me a way to contact you.
    As soon as I make my quota of 10 posts, I'll PM you my email address. You're now on my buddy list.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    I change blackberries so often that I don't publish my pin, so if you provide yours I'll get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    I change blackberries so often that I don't publish my pin, so if you provide yours I'll get back to you.

You got it. Just a few more posts to go.

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3

Any suggestions on a good (free is best, but I'll pay if necessary) app to track specific tickers? I'm not looking for anything real-time, just occasional updates (configurable update periods would be fantastic) but the ability to set a list of tickers and scroll through just those quotes is what I'd like.

Basically, something similar to what's available on the iPhone.

leatherface no está en línea Stack level 1

Very great to see the community extends the use of blackberrys.
    I am also interesting in a trading platform on my 8820

roc383 no está en línea Stack level 1

Maybe I am just being too simple, but I just keep two browsers open. I run the regular Scottrade site in one and just click to refresh my stock lists - I can still get news, charts, etc, just like using a PC. And, I run the mobile scottrade site in a second browser for entering trades. This has worked very well for me. Have you found these other solutions to be that much better for the cost?

http://microhill.com
    Then look for their free stockviewer app. Its not real-time but for its more than enough for most people.

adeshong no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3018B950

Smile Re: Solution for stock trading and more, for Blackberry...

I'm using ThinkMicro from ThinkorSwim.com. THe software is made for BB8830, that's the reason I got my 8830. Has streaming qoutes, a trading platform for stocks and options, and streaming charts. Very nice set-up and the price for trading is $1.50. I'm very satisfied.