Hi there, I had a Pearl 8100 before and it was lovely : when I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

proenca no está en línea Stack level 1

sms not waiting - protocol error ?

Advertisement

Hi there,

I had a Pearl 8100 before and it was lovely : when I was in the tube ( or subway, depends on which side of the atlantic you are ), I wrote sms and emails, they all get the clock icon, once the pearl got network, he would start sending the emails AND the sms. Brilliant.

Upgraded a few days ago to a 8800, loving it BUT ...

as far email goes, everything the same, but sms sucks. when I dont have network, it reports a red X and says protocol error. which happened from time to time with my 8100, but now, if I write 6 or 7 sms while in the tube, they ALL get the protocol error and when the phone gets network, the phone doesnt try to send them. i have to go manually to each sms and do resend.

this is bad, can I get the old 8100 way of "queing" sms ? because I forget to resend and think it automatically would resend the messages and it doesnt.

It works fine with emails ( when no network, he doesnt send them, puts a clock icon next to the message and when network is available, it sends them ). I want to do this with sms as well. Ideas ?

proenca no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: sms not waiting - protocol error ?

really, im the only one with this problem ? or is this is normal behaviour of a 8800 ?

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Re: sms not waiting - protocol error ?

It's the behaviour of the OS. My 8800 used to queue up the messages when I was out of network coverage and send them later. I upgraded OS's and now I get the red X and have to resend later.

I would guess that there is a reason for it, I don't see RIM downgrading that function on purpose. But as to what that reason is, it escapes me too. Maybe they did break it and didn't realize...
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

KSmithInNY no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Re: sms not waiting - protocol error ?

Quote Originally Posted by proenca
    Hi there,

I had a Pearl 8100 before and it was lovely : when I was in the tube ( or subway, depends on which side of the atlantic you are ), I wrote sms and emails, they all get the clock icon, once the pearl got network, he would start sending the emails AND the sms. Brilliant.

Upgraded a few days ago to a 8800, loving it BUT ...

as far email goes, everything the same, but sms sucks. when I dont have network, it reports a red X and says protocol error. which happened from time to time with my 8100, but now, if I write 6 or 7 sms while in the tube, they ALL get the protocol error and when the phone gets network, the phone doesnt try to send them. i have to go manually to each sms and do resend.

this is bad, can I get the old 8100 way of "queing" sms ? because I forget to resend and think it automatically would resend the messages and it doesnt.

It works fine with emails ( when no network, he doesnt send them, puts a clock icon next to the message and when network is available, it sends them ). I want to do this with sms as well. Ideas ?

I am having this same problem and its causing me to consider leaving T-MO.
    I send aprox. 2K SMS & MMS messages a month and have spotty coverage in my area so i end up "resending" about 1/2 of those ....... this is starting to become such an annoyance $200 to leave T-MO is looking more and more delicious.
    When i contact T-MO on this problem they say " Nobody else has contacted us regarding this issue so it must be related directly to your handset" To which i say " yes it must be just my roommates and my handsets that are the only ones impacted by this issue and its a little odd it happened on the same day when we both upgraded to 4.2.1.107 ..... also slightly odd he went and purchased the curve and it does it as well"

If you have any kind of fix or workaround for this ( other then the obvious of downgrading OS which is my next step ) please share. Also if you are having this problem, keep in mind that unless T-Mo is receiving enough calls to warrant spending money to fix it, they wont.