I just sold my 8800 (I now have the 8300). My law firm put a ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

surfwmn7 no está en línea Stack level 2

Removing a security patch from my 8800

Advertisement

I just sold my 8800 (I now have the 8300). My law firm put a security measure (I guess you call it a patch) on my phone that when it times out after two hours or you lock your phone, you need to type in the password to get into it.

I wiped the phone and the patch is still there.

My IT department tells me wiping should get rid of it.

I am trying it again, but is there something else I should be doing?

Any help would be appreciated.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Removing a security patch from my 8800

It's called IT Policy. It places restrictions (like no SMS) and requirements (like requiring a password) on the BlackBerry, and NO - wiping does NOT clear it.

You can search the forums here for IT Policy, but this page gives very clear instructions on how to clear IT policy.

The page's title is Unlocking the BlackBerry, but that's a misnomer - unlocking typically means removing Network restrictions from any cell phone so it can use other carriers. What the directions actually do is replace the existing IT Policy with a "blank" policy with no restrictions or requirements.
    JerryD

surfwmn7 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    It's called IT Policy. It places restrictions (like no SMS) and requirements (like requiring a password) on the BlackBerry, and NO - wiping does NOT clear it.

You can search the forums here for IT Policy, but this page gives very clear instructions on how to clear IT policy.

The page's title is Unlocking the BlackBerry, but that's a misnomer - unlocking typically means removing Network restrictions from any cell phone so it can use other carriers. What the directions actually do is replace the existing IT Policy with a "blank" policy with no restrictions or requirements.
    I tried this and it did not work. I did not have the SIM card in it because it is in my current phone.

Let's hope my IT people can fix this issue.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Your IT people should be able to remove it depending on their knowledge of BES (which I imagine is limited since they thought that you would be able to remove it by wiping the phone). You might want to direct them to this site so that they can get the instructions to remove it from the unit through your BES.

Zo

green no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

wouldnt it just be easier to put the sim back in it and try it again?----->

jazzmihau no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,
    I tried the instructions from blackberry.ig3.net/[/url] to get rid of ITPolicy and it's still there.
    Is there anybody with 8800 that did it successfully ?

Tried many times and nothing.
    HELP

First, let's make sure it's IT Policy enforcing the password requirement. On your BlackBerry, go to (Settings/Tools -->) Options --> Security Options --> General Settings. If it IS IT Policy requiring a password, there will be a teeny weeny red padlock (I thought it was just an asterisk at first) to the left of Enabled on the first line (Password). If there's no tiny red lock, it's NOT IT Policy enforcing the password requirement - and I wouldn't know how to get rid of it!

Also, no matter how many times you clear IT Policy, it will come back as soon as you reconnect to your corporate email system, so don't even bother to remove it!

I have performed the operation many times, and you must follow the procedure exactly!
    1. Uninstall and reinstall Desktop Manager. Make sure you select BlackBerry Internet Service during the setup on the Integration Options screen.
    2. Download Policy.bin and save it to the directory C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry
    3. Wipe your BlackBerry - from the Main Screen, go to (Settings/Tools -->) Options --> Security Options --> General Settings. Click the Menu Button and select Wipe Handheld. Select Continue on the warning screen, and then type the word blackberry as instructed and hit [Enter] to wipe the device. It will ask you to enter a new password and verify it when it comes back up. You must enter a password.
    4. On your computer, click Start --> Run and enter regedit and click OK. Navigate to the key HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager in the left pane. When there, Right Click in any blank area in the Right Pane and select New --> String Value and change New Value #1 to Path. Now Double Click the word Path and enter C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin.
    5. Start Desktop Manager
    6. Connect your BlackBerry to the computer. Make sure Desktop Manager finds the device. It should come up and ask for the password you set in step 3. If it doesn't, from Desktop Manager's menu select Options --> Connection Settings... and click the Detect button.
    When you connect your device and enter the device's password on the computer, Desktop Manager's Status Bar should say Connected and Working for a short time. Once it stops saying Working, you should be able to change the Password option under the Security settings to Disable.

I have done this many, many times, and it has worked every time.
    JerryD

FidoJazz no está en línea Stack level 1

Many Thanks for help.

I am not on BES
    From your description it seems I did it properly.
    will try to reinstall Desktop Manager and try again. Have the whole night.

Do I have to restart the computer after register change ? or it's not necessary ?

thanks, hope will manage that

No need to restart.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tomorrowneverkn no está en línea Stack level 3

wow, jdellasala really knows their stuff!

josephfelicien no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23FE2238

Hi there - can anyone tell me how I can personalize my BB8800 with ring tones which I have down loaded such as "new message", "new email" - I am not able to find the location to replace the existing tones.

Many thanks.