Hello, I been browsing the forums for some time now, but never thought I would ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Rumbitutoe no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Radio Wont TURN ON???

Advertisement

Hello,

I been browsing the forums for some time now, but never thought I would post a thread...I just recieved my new blackberry 8830 today . Unfortunately when I go to turn on the radio it turns on for about 10 seconds and then automaticaly turns off. Even when I try to make a call it connects for that 10 second duration then turns off. I tried doing a reset but no success. I called Sprint Blackberry techanical support and RIM techanical support, the only solution they say is charge the battery (to 100% even though it is at 40%) and try it. Or reinstall the desktop manager from the web and wipe out the existing software? I do not see the web browser on my main menu, but I can access it by the "switch application" feature. When I access the web broswer it gives me an error of "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Please contact contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device."....Could it be an issue with the sim card sprint provided? How about in the "mobile network options" should I have the "network mode" on 1xEV or leave it on Global?...I believe there is more techanical support on this forum then the phone repersentatives :P. I would appreciate the help.

Using v4.2.2.123 platform 3.0.0.64
    Last edited by Rumbitutoe; 07-30-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Radio Wont TURN ON???

Sounds to me like you haven't allowed the battery to charge enough yet. And have you had a Blackberry Data plan activated on you account. Not sure about Sprint, but some carriers can take up to 48 hrs to activate the data plan.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

I charged the battery to 100% and tried with no luck. I took out the sim card and changed the network mode to 1xEV and no luck again. From what Sprint tells me the data plan is active. I dont know how that is possible even though i dont have web browser icon or email setup option. The phone was activated before it was sent out. I have the $15 employee plan which includes every feature. Is it a defective handset?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Try going to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Register Now. Then take the battery out and wait a few seconds.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

On our Sprint 8703e's there's a start provisioning option somewhere I think in the network settings. You can try and find that.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mofolepo no está en línea Stack level 2

What is this radio you speak of?? (Sorry I'm a noob).

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

Radio is what the phone uses to receive and transmit the signal and allow calls and use of data plans.

Did you say you took out the SIM Card? On Sprint? I thought they were CDMA and dont use SIM cards. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they didnt use SIM Cards! Could be a service book issue! Especially since you have no browser on the menu. Be sure they have sent you the service books and that you have registered per the thread above.

Mofolepo no está en línea Stack level 2

At first I didn't have the browser on the menu too, but once I signed up for a data plan it appeared on its own.

I followed your steps and registered it and states "register message sent." I recieved the text message from sprint and blackberry saying welcome from sprint and the blackberry message sayin your phone has been registered. But still the problem persists the radio turns off after 10seconds. When I remain in the radio menu it trys to reconnect autimatically after 10seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by bglawrence
    Radio is what the phone uses to receive and transmit the signal and allow calls and use of data plans.

Did you say you took out the SIM Card? On Sprint? I thought they were CDMA and dont use SIM cards. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they didnt use SIM Cards! Could be a service book issue! Especially since you have no browser on the menu. Be sure they have sent you the service books and that you have registered per the thread above.
    Your right Sprint works on CDMA, but the phone I have is the World Edition. Which features an unlocked sim. So the phone works off of both CDMA and GSM which ever is available. The phone comes with a sprint sim card and believe is activated once you are abroad.

I appreciate all you guys help . But after three and half hours of troubleshooting with blackberry techanical service on the phone. It is determined the phone is defective and to be returned . The repersentative had me go through countless wipes, rebooting, and reprogamming through MSL codes and no luck. The browser seems to be another issue by itself and can be resolved through a blackberry data plan. Unfortuantly I was missinformed and purschased a regular sprint data plan (which the sales rep told me works with blackberry) that is not the same as blackberry data plan. But eitherway if I had the correct data plan the phone would still encounter the same problem (radio turns off after 10secs). I guess its a hardware issue rather then software?? Any other solutions?

...Nice way to start off my 1st 8830 experience...
    Last edited by Rumbitutoe; 07-31-2007 at 07:05 PM.

mcg2u2 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ?????

my radio turns off from time to time...
    What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by dyckugood
    my radio turns off from time to time...
    What gives?
    The difference is mine will not stay on, making the phone unusable...