hello all, im considering buying my 1st blackberry (the 8820) but have some concerns re: ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

tapineagleputt no está en línea Stack level 1

projected data usage with opera mini

Advertisement

hello all, im considering buying my 1st blackberry (the 8820) but have some concerns re: exorbitant data costs up here in canada. im hoping someone can provide some insights or links on how much data i can expect to use, using opera mini. im thinking i'll go for the $10/10meg data plan through rogers and not bother with a BB plan. i anticipate my browsing will be somewhere around 20 minutes per day, with images disabled. the browsing would be relegated to gmail, checking sports scores, settling arguments with friends over who won the batting crown in 1997, stuff like that....any insights are much appreciated. thanks.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: projected data usage with opera mini

I am not sure about Rogers, but with T-Mobile you have to have BB data plan in order to use the data options on the BB. The basic data or internet plans will not work.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3

The nice thing about Opera Mini is that it compresses everything before it is sent to the device. Text compresses well, so if you are browsing without images, you shouldn't be using very much data. For reference, the Wikipedia main page is about 48 kB uncompressed, and Google News main page is about 150 kB. With basic compression applied, those reduce to 12 kB and 32 kB respectively.

Then again, 10 MB is not a lot, and it really depends on how many pages you download in your 20 minute daily browsing. Be very careful the first month, then evaluate your bill to see how much data you really used.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Some people say that opera wil work without a BB plan, but I have tried it and its not possible, even when you have your carrier web access. I have opera mini and browse with pictures and use a lot of data per month.

tapineagleputt no está en línea Stack level 1

as stated, ive never owned a BB...but my understanding is that if the TCP is configured properly one can use a plain old data plan and opera to browse the web, with some loss of functionality (namely push email). ive seen it all over the web that this works with the curve, and i assume it would work with the 8820 as well.