My 14 month old BB 8800 has begun acting up. The red LED is staying ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

dgore2 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Problem w/ LED & Light Sensor

Advertisement

My 14 month old BB 8800 has begun acting up. The red LED is staying dimly lit at all times...even when the BB is turned off. If the battery is installed, the light is dimly lit. It blinks brightly when I have messages, e-mail, etc. just like you would expect it to. The second issue is that it no longer dims in low light. The screen stays bright at all times. The keypad will not illuminate at all. This all began suddenly. I've contacted my carrier (AT&T) and they were no help, unless I want to upgrade and sign another 2 year contract. I have found no product advisories on this topic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    did you try a battery pull?
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

Yes. I left it out overnight as a matter of fact. No change.

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    I was having similar issue- once mine would go into standby it would never come back out and get this- if it was dark enough you could see the trackball very faintly lit. A battery pull would correct it until it went back into standby mode. I finally got fed up and wiped it with jl_cmdr and reinstalled the OS ad it was fine ever since. Hope this helps.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

How do you wipe it? I assume you mean clear off the OS and reinstall? I haven't done this on a BB before. If I backup on DM, what will I still loose? If I'm backed up, do I need to do anything else with my contacts?

Thanks,
    David

PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Do a search for jl_cmdr, save to your computer and unzip. Run it and connect your device. Follow prompts and you should a list of available tasks. Push number 1 on your computer keyboard. You should get a notepad window open up with your device info. That means you have a connection and you can proceed with the device wipe. If its a plain notepad window with nothing in it at all- you don't have a connection and you have to reconnect and try again. Once you're connected go ahead and press 4 to wipe, the screen will turn red, press "y" to confirm and then type blackberry. In a couple of seconds you'll get a white screen with error 507. Proceed to reload the OS. This would also be a good time to upgrade to 4.5 as well. There are many threads on this forum to help with that as well as using the jl_cmdr is you have any problems. Hope this helps you get going again. And of course- don't forget to make a back-up before you do anything else.

PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Almost forgot- you will lose all third party applications when you do the wipe. Your contacts will be fine and can be restored once the OS is reinstalled.