Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to Blackberry! Is it possible ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

steve17360 no está en línea Stack level 1

POP Email on 8800

Advertisement

Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to Blackberry! Is it possible to use pop email in the same way as you use it on Palm, etc. My Blackberry won't be used in conjunction with my business email server. Help would be appreciated - I'm thinking of buying an unlocked 8800 and using it overseas with a network not linked to a Blackberry account.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: POP Email on 8800

steve - welcome to pinstack!
    yes, as long as you are using a BIS (Blackberry Internet Account) you should be able to add POP email. this is what i found on rim's site:

Your BlackBerry Internet Service account can be integrated with up to ten Internet Service Provider (ISP) email accounts. BlackBerry supports most Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) and Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) accounts including MSN® Hotmail® Plus and Yahoo!® Mail Plus.

howitzer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DA6E34

If you have BIS, no problem. If not forward your pop mail to your BES account.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    steve - welcome to pinstack!
    yes, as long as you are using a BIS (Blackberry Internet Account) you should be able to add POP email. this is what i found on rim's site:

Your BlackBerry Internet Service account can be integrated with up to ten Internet Service Provider (ISP) email accounts. BlackBerry supports most Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) and Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) accounts including MSN® Hotmail® Plus and Yahoo!® Mail Plus.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Do I get the BlackBerry Internet Service account with the phone even if I'm not subscribing to a Blackberry service plan?

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

You'd have to have a blackberry data plan offered through your carrier

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan08
    You'd have to have a blackberry data plan offered through your carrier

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    So basically, no Blackberry data plan means I can't access pop email in any way?

photios no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F2883C

Well, maybe I've got a problem or maybe I don't..

I have a BES account with my work. I wanted to get access to my .mac account, and actually send messages from that account on my blackberry. I launched the personal email app and set up my .mac account and then added a mycingular.blackberry account.
    Everything seems to be working fine, and mail is received in both mail additional mailboxes as well as my BES one. In fact, if I compose a new messge, I get the option now of stating which account the message is sent from.

I'm confused... was I not supposed to do this and will I incur problems now in the future?

Thanks!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by steve17360
    So basically, no Blackberry data plan means I can't access pop email in any way?
    You must have a Blackberry data plan for anything other than voice and SMS. Look at it this way -- can you place and receive calls without a voice plan? You have to pay for the services that you want to use.

I guess you could forward your POP email via the SMS gateway and then send using the gateway as well but I can't see this being a practical solution...

Quote Originally Posted by photios
    I'm confused... was I not supposed to do this and will I incur problems now in the future?
    Thanks!
    I think your question was answered on another site but provided that your BES admin isn't enforcing an IT policy prohibiting BIS use you can use BIS and BES together without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You must have a Blackberry data plan for anything other than voice and SMS. Look at it this way -- can you place and receive calls without a voice plan? You have to pay for the services that you want to use.

I guess you could forward your POP email via the SMS gateway and then send using the gateway as well but I can't see this being a practical solution...

I think your question was answered on another site but provided that your BES admin isn't enforcing an IT policy prohibiting BIS use you can use BIS and BES together without issues.
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I do have data on my network plan, but it's not a Blackberry account. I was hoping that there was a way of utilising my non-Blackberry data plan to access pop email. I really want an 8800, but there's no Blackberry data service available in the country I work in.

BMasiak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CBC5EC

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You must have a Blackberry data plan for anything other than voice and SMS.
    Actually, that is not a fact. I have a BlackBerry 7290, no blackberry data plan, simply t-zones, and I'm able to access regular internet using operamini thru wap.voicestream.com in the settings. Now if I could only find a pop3 app for blackberry that allows you to change network settings like opera mini does....

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by BMasiak
    Actually, that is not a fact. I have a BlackBerry 7290, no blackberry data plan, simply t-zones, and I'm able to access regular internet using operamini thru wap.voicestream.com in the settings. Now if I could only find a pop3 app for blackberry that allows you to change network settings like opera mini does....
    Again, you might be able to cheat the system by using a non-BB data plan but carriers are closing these loopholes as they find them. If you must have data services then get a BB data plan.

neeeko no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Hello,

We're on BES Hosted Server@ our company but i could add 3 pop accounts without any problem.

Headshox no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by neeeko
    Hello,

We're on BES Hosted Server@ our company but i could add 3 pop accounts without any problem.

Maybe i'm being stupid but i can't figure out how to add pop account to my BES enabled device.

Help!