Results 1 to 13 of 13

Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to Blackberry! Is it possible ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

  1. #1
    steve17360's Avatar
    steve17360 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5

    POP Email on 8800

    Advertisement



    Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to Blackberry! Is it possible to use pop email in the same way as you use it on Palm, etc. My Blackberry won't be used in conjunction with my business email server. Help would be appreciated - I'm thinking of buying an unlocked 8800 and using it overseas with a network not linked to a Blackberry account.

  2. #2
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    steve - welcome to pinstack!
    yes, as long as you are using a BIS (Blackberry Internet Account) you should be able to add POP email. this is what i found on rim's site:

    Your BlackBerry Internet Service account can be integrated with up to ten Internet Service Provider (ISP) email accounts. BlackBerry supports most Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) and Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) accounts including MSN® Hotmail® Plus and Yahoo!® Mail Plus.

  3. #3
    howitzer's Avatar
    howitzer no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    23DA6E34
    Posts
    35

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    If you have BIS, no problem. If not forward your pop mail to your BES account.

  4. #4
    steve17360's Avatar
    steve17360 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    steve - welcome to pinstack!
    yes, as long as you are using a BIS (Blackberry Internet Account) you should be able to add POP email. this is what i found on rim's site:

    Your BlackBerry Internet Service account can be integrated with up to ten Internet Service Provider (ISP) email accounts. BlackBerry supports most Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) and Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) accounts including MSN® Hotmail® Plus and Yahoo!® Mail Plus.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Do I get the BlackBerry Internet Service account with the phone even if I'm not subscribing to a Blackberry service plan?

  5. #5
    mcgowan08's Avatar
    mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    24053627
    Posts
    435

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    You'd have to have a blackberry data plan offered through your carrier

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  6. #6
    steve17360's Avatar
    steve17360 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan08
    You'd have to have a blackberry data plan offered through your carrier

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    So basically, no Blackberry data plan means I can't access pop email in any way?

  7. #7
    photios's Avatar
    photios no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    23F2883C
    Posts
    2

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Well, maybe I've got a problem or maybe I don't..

    I have a BES account with my work. I wanted to get access to my .mac account, and actually send messages from that account on my blackberry. I launched the personal email app and set up my .mac account and then added a mycingular.blackberry account.
    Everything seems to be working fine, and mail is received in both mail additional mailboxes as well as my BES one. In fact, if I compose a new messge, I get the option now of stating which account the message is sent from.

    I'm confused... was I not supposed to do this and will I incur problems now in the future?

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    takeshi's Avatar
    takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Quote Originally Posted by steve17360
    So basically, no Blackberry data plan means I can't access pop email in any way?
    You must have a Blackberry data plan for anything other than voice and SMS. Look at it this way -- can you place and receive calls without a voice plan? You have to pay for the services that you want to use.

    I guess you could forward your POP email via the SMS gateway and then send using the gateway as well but I can't see this being a practical solution...

    Quote Originally Posted by photios
    I'm confused... was I not supposed to do this and will I incur problems now in the future?
    Thanks!
    I think your question was answered on another site but provided that your BES admin isn't enforcing an IT policy prohibiting BIS use you can use BIS and BES together without issues.

  9. #9
    steve17360's Avatar
    steve17360 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You must have a Blackberry data plan for anything other than voice and SMS. Look at it this way -- can you place and receive calls without a voice plan? You have to pay for the services that you want to use.

    I guess you could forward your POP email via the SMS gateway and then send using the gateway as well but I can't see this being a practical solution...


    I think your question was answered on another site but provided that your BES admin isn't enforcing an IT policy prohibiting BIS use you can use BIS and BES together without issues.
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I do have data on my network plan, but it's not a Blackberry account. I was hoping that there was a way of utilising my non-Blackberry data plan to access pop email. I really want an 8800, but there's no Blackberry data service available in the country I work in.

  10. #10
    BMasiak's Avatar
    BMasiak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    23CBC5EC
    Posts
    25

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You must have a Blackberry data plan for anything other than voice and SMS.
    Actually, that is not a fact. I have a BlackBerry 7290, no blackberry data plan, simply t-zones, and I'm able to access regular internet using operamini thru wap.voicestream.com in the settings. Now if I could only find a pop3 app for blackberry that allows you to change network settings like opera mini does....

  11. #11
    takeshi's Avatar
    takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Quote Originally Posted by BMasiak
    Actually, that is not a fact. I have a BlackBerry 7290, no blackberry data plan, simply t-zones, and I'm able to access regular internet using operamini thru wap.voicestream.com in the settings. Now if I could only find a pop3 app for blackberry that allows you to change network settings like opera mini does....
    Again, you might be able to cheat the system by using a non-BB data plan but carriers are closing these loopholes as they find them. If you must have data services then get a BB data plan.

  12. #12
    neeeko's Avatar
    neeeko no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    25583458
    Posts
    27

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Hello,

    We're on BES Hosted Server@ our company but i could add 3 pop accounts without any problem.

  13. #13
    Headshox's Avatar
    Headshox no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: POP Email on 8800

    Quote Originally Posted by neeeko
    Hello,

    We're on BES Hosted Server@ our company but i could add 3 pop accounts without any problem.

    Maybe i'm being stupid but i can't figure out how to add pop account to my BES enabled device.

    Help!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •