Hi everyone, after a lengthy struggle I now seem to have wriggled my way out ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

pallavik no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    205EF911

IT policy sneaking back into 8820 when synching contacts with Outlook

Advertisement

Hi everyone, after a lengthy struggle I now seem to have wriggled my way out of the grasp of an IT policy I had inherited when I got my 8820 off Ebay using a deadly cocktail of 507ing the thing, upgrading to OS 4.5.0.18 – beta - and in the end taking advantage of the JL_Cmdr facility to “restore to factory” - having an OS 4.3 or above which I didn’t until recently. Despite all this I am now still faced with a problem: I have been trying to re-synch the Bberry with the contacts and calendar from Outlook on my PC but that seems somehow to push the flippin’ IT policy back into the device forcing me to carry out the “restore to factory” time and again – I have now done it a good half a dozen times – and I am going stupid trying to not have to re-enter all my contacts (600+) and appointments manually. I did expect the policy to be reinstated as soon as I tried to perform a restore from a previous back-up and it made sense that it should happen but now I have got rid of all the pre-restore to factory back-ups and I have also dump them out of the recycle bin so where is the policy coming back from?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, I would like if at all possible to reinstate as much of my stuff on the device as possible and once I am sure the IT policy is gone for good go back to OS 4.2 whilst waiting for the official 4.5 release as I found I lost some hard earned functionality in the swap, which I wouldn’t expect to have to put up with when switching to the officially released version.

Tnx. Piero

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Although your profile says you're not on a BES, what's your Outlook connected to? IT Policy normally only gets applied through a BES.

What IT Policy specifically are you seeing on the device?
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    205EF911

No BES, no BIS...

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    Although your profile says you're not on a BES, what's your Outlook connected to? IT Policy normally only gets applied through a BES.

What IT Policy specifically are you seeing on the device?
    Hi jdellasala, I can't say anymore whay IT policy was on my device as it stopped showing in Options/Security Options/General Settings the very first time that I wiped my device a few weeks ago; despite that it was still very much in place as the messages about "Operette is trying to open a connection inside the firewall and outside the firewall that is against your IT policy" - or something along those lines - would tell whenever I would try to launch Opera Mini afterwards.

Those messages only went away recently when I did the JL_Cmdr "Restore to factory" trick after installing the beta 4.5 OS. I'm not on BES or BIS either at present, Outlook is just connected to my humble Hotmail account; my work account is accessible only through my work laptop which in turn is very restricted in terms of what it is allowed to connect to - i.e. not the 8820 as it's not company issue.

Cheers,

Piero

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Please explain the "restore to factory" trick. Does it really remove the IT Policy? I know a standard wipe won't clear it off.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cjcarbone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    not anym
    Reset to factory is an option available in the 4.3/4.5 OS. It wipes the BB to the way it came out of the box... no it policy or anything.

JL_Cmder takes advantage of it, and if you can get your hands on a beta, you can do it on your 8300 device

PIN/ID
    205EF911

JL_Cmder download link

That is correct and here's the link to a page where you have a download link for that little utility: http://download.twang.net/blackberry/; Also if you run a search for JL_Cmder you'll find plenty of info and screenshots on how use it and what other uses that program has, it's a nifty little thing. I found that it was the only thing that managed to dispose of the IT policy I had on my second hand 8820, the downside being that I then had to scour the net to find a suitable version of OS 4.5 in beta - no official release available for it yet - to use specifically to run the "reset to factory" command. Of course if you are the proud owner of a Pearl 8100/10/20 or a Curve 8300/10/20 you also have the option to upgrade to OS 4.3 which is by now released officially...

Hope that helps. Cheerio,

Piero

PIN/ID
    205EF911
    By the way, before you get going with JL_Cmder do not forget to back-up as much as you can as the process will wipe your device completely - but not the data on your expansion card though...

Piero

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Do you have your Desktop Manager setup as BES/ReDirector?

PIN/ID
    205EF911
    Not 100 % sure what that means but I haven't got BES so I'd say no...

Piero