Having to decide whether to give up an 8820 for a slightly smaller Curve or ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

budh no está en línea Stack level 2

Please tell me the all of the real advantages of Wi-Fi

Advertisement

Having to decide whether to give up an 8820 for a slightly smaller Curve or not before the end of the week, I need to know what all of the advantages of having Wi-Fi are.

I seem to have the EDGE network in all locations I have been in since owning the 8820.

What are all the advantages I can expect to learn about if I have Wi-Fi on my Blackberry?

Oh, I do have an unlimited Blackberry data plan with BIS, and no BES.

Bud H

cchvz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f293e3

Re: Please tell me the all of the real advantages of Wi-Fi

Wifi gives you the ability to connect to the internet at a hotspot or your home wireless network which would allow for faster web browsing mostly. Some future capabilities will be the ability to stream music and video much like you would on your high speed connection at home. As far as I understand, this does not effect your ability to send and receive email or anything you do when away from a wifi access point.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I love Wifi because I've always had bad reception with tmobile at home. It's like having your own tower.

BarnesIT no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Multiple

Wi-Fi is great when you have either your dedicated home wireless, or you can leach off of another source, such as a Starbucks, or a random company in a large city that doesn't have their wireless locked. The 8800 and the 8820 are the same price right now, and i've actually had a hard time getting the 8800, due to low stock. I would go for the 8820 for sure.

jtesnani no está en línea Stack level 3

with tmobile and the curve, can you use hotspot at starbucks for free? don't you need an account for that?

Helmdawg no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
    I love Wifi because I've always had bad reception with tmobile at home. It's like having your own tower.
    This is the main reason for me as well. UMA rocks!!!

jvduval no está en línea Stack level 1

allows for internet connections when your carrier connection is "not" great and you are in a location with wifi access point

Artful no está en línea Stack level 1

I hadn't really used Wi-Fi on my 8320 either. Then I moved into a new apartment. I have full service at my front door, full service on my back porch and NOTHING inside. It's like the walls of the house are lead lined. No one can get good service inside, Verizon friends sometimes can get a call. To add insult to injury, my room is on the lower level.

Pop on Wi-Fi, UMA kicks in and I can make calls that are clearer than my old land line anywhere in the house.

Browsing is also considerably faster. I've read up that people complain about slow Wi-Fi browsing, and I've experienced it at certain access points, but my home router (an off the shelf Linksys with WPA) blazes through the web. I ran a test at http:blueapple.mobi downloading a Siouxsie and the Banshees video (4:05ish) and it took less than a minute on Wi-Fi, almost 3 minutes through full EDGE service.