Greetings to all. I'm a new owner of a BB 8800 as of yesterday (Cingular ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

kwolson no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile perplexed new owner - no data service today?

Advertisement

Greetings to all. I'm a new owner of a BB 8800 as of yesterday (Cingular w/BIS data plan). No problem with activation and everything seemed great yesterday - speedy browsing, got some of my e-mails forwarded and I was happy. Today - no apparent data service, no e-mails received, can't connect with the browser or anything. I tried sending an e-mail via my new BB account and it seemd to go out (at least I didn't get any sort of error message...)

Another service outage like last week?
    Something to do with those "Service stacks" I've heard about?
    Any settings I should check again?

Your thoughts appreciated...

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: perplexed new owner - no data service today?

kwolson - nor cal here - ive had service all day...

have you done a battery pull? take it out, leave out for 30 sec, put back in...see if problem is resolved? that is the first thing to ALWAYS do reboot so to say

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Kwolson. Have you tried calling Cingy to see if there are any outages in your area? Try the battery pull. I believe you were also asking about the service books. You could try resending those Options/Advanced/Host Routing Table/Click/Register Now, but I'm not sure that will help here. Let us know how you make out.

Smile Re: perplexed new owner - no data service today?

Talk about fast replies! Thanks for the advice, but will I lose all of my settings if I pull the battery (or is there a backup battery somewhere?)

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

nope...its just a reboot, kind of like turning the pc on and letting it 'reboot'

all your settings will be saved

if that doesn't work, post back and we'll figure it out

::edit:: ljbyar's suggestion might work if the battery pull doesn't...check both of those out

The battery pull worked and I'm back in operation, being swamped with undelivered e-mails! Thanks for the advice...

Now, though...some other questions is someone has time:
    1. Does this sort of thing happen often?
    2. Any connection to my having set the auto power on/off feature? Don't know why it would, but maybe someone knows of a glitch there...
    3. I assume the BB contacts my e-mail server directly and not through my computer, so my Mac could be in sleep mode late at night and I'd still get messages?
    4. Are 3rd party apps stored on my SIM card, my micro SD card or some other system memory chip? In short, how much stuff could I cram in here?
    5. I have chosen to "hide" some main screen icons that I expect to use rarely they are only greyed out, not really gone from the screen. Is this normal?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

1) It can happen periodically but not like last week.

2) No.

3) Yes. You don't even need to have your Mac on to get messages. Unless you're on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server with the Mail Redirection option which requires your Mac to be on.

4) I don't have a memory card in my Pearl so I can't answer this one.

5) Yes its normal. You can completely hide them by choosing "Show All" while one of the greyed out icons is highlighted.

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

4. No apps are not stored on the MicroSD card, you should have about close to 20 meg availabe for programs. It doesn't sound like a lot but it should be plenty.

5. If they are grey than you have chosen to hide them but still have show all enabled. Uncheck show all and they will disapear.
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown