Hi everyone having trouble with my newly acquired 8820 - Ebay, unlocked handset originally locked ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

pallavik no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    205EF911

Opera Mini not working on 8820

Advertisement

Hi everyone having trouble with my newly acquired 8820 - Ebay, unlocked handset originally locked to Orange UK - and Opera Mini: I haven't got a BBdata plan, - hence I only get lower case gprs or edge - only my generic data plan that came associated with my mobile contract with Vodafone UK which worked perfectly on my previous handsets, Ericcsson P900 and Nokia N73. I have downloaded Opera Mini over my wi-fi connection at home but can't get it to work: if I click its newly created icon it will show a screen saying "Opera Mini" and below "installing" with a progress bar and after a few seconds a pop up saying "The application Opera Mini has requested a socket connection to server4.operamini.com. Don't ask this again for:" then two boxes to tick with the following captions "All socket connections" and "socket connections to server4.operamini.com"

At the bottom the two buttons: "Allow this connection" or "Deny this connection"

I would then click "Allow" leaving both boxes unticked and this would take me back to the screen saying "installing" with the progress bar slowly crawling forward. After a couple of minutes the arrows indicating communication with the network start flickering faster and the progress bar also starts to move faster seemingly indicating something is happening but in the end I get "Failed to connect to the internet. Go to http://www.operamini.com/help?version=4.0 with your desktop browser or contact your service provider for internet settings"

I have spoken to Vodafone who confirmed my APN settings are correct so I have been stuck here with this issue for a while. :-(

Any suggestion/extra info gladly accepted. Thanks.

boomer503 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I also can't install on my 8820 and have sent repeated emails to their company for help and it has fallen on deaf ears. Oh well... I guess I will have to pass on them and look else wear if they can't take time for customer care.

JimCanuck no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    206A2A0D
    I had the "go to help" message shown above with version 4.0; found a review of new version 4.1 beta, uninstalled version 4.0 and installed version 4.1 successfully. Have not encountered the problem. BTW, all my connections to OperaMini 4.1 since installation yesterday have been via WiFi. Still need to try it on EDGE.

Found the problem on the companies website - T-mobile blocks other java sites from having their software work on the BB from T-mobile.

Oh well.

ineedspeed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24270d4c
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer503 View Post
    Found the problem on the companies website - T-mobile blocks other java sites from having their software work on the BB from T-mobile.

Oh well.
    Boomer, thats the case with other phones but Blackberries don't suffer from this. Have had multiple Blackberries from Tmobile and other carriers without problems running Java apps. Make sure your APN is set wap.voicestream.com and that when you are asked if you want to allow Opera to access the web you click on "All http connection" and then click on Allow Connection. I currently have an AT&T 8820 with Tmobile software on my device and it works fine. Same for my Tmobile branded Pearl.

anaenima no está en línea Stack level 3
    Do you have a data plan? It won't work without it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pochex no está en línea Stack level 1
    If it requires data plan for it to works, isn't that means Opera is not accessing internet using Wi-Fi (free) but instead it us the GPRS (pay)?

Quote Originally Posted by ineedspeed View Post
    Boomer, thats the case with other phones but Blackberries don't suffer from this. Have had multiple Blackberries from Tmobile and other carriers without problems running Java apps. Make sure your APN is set wap.voicestream.com and that when you are asked if you want to allow Opera to access the web you click on "All http connection" and then click on Allow Connection. I currently have an AT&T 8820 with Tmobile software on my device and it works fine. Same for my Tmobile branded Pearl.
    Morning Ineedspeed,

OK, I changed the APN as you said - a couple of tries and it worked! THANK YOU!
    -Boomer
    Last edited by boomer503; 04-20-2008 at 11:45 AM.

pallavik no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    205EF911

Opera Mini & third party apps. not connecting to internet due to IT policy

Hi everyone, hopefully you’re all comfortably seated as I have the feeling this is going to be a pretty lengthy post.

Thought I’d share what I have been up to in whatever little spare time I had since I first got hold of my first ever BB – 8820, unlocked but originally locked to Orange UK – nearly two months ago; with no BES and no pressure to get it all working from the word go I decided I was going to take my time and toy around in order to flex my brain muscles and in the process gain a deeper understanding of the inner workings of BB’s; let there be no doubt that at the end of this you’ll still find a number of questions.

The scenario is: used – Ebay – 8820 which has clearly been on a BES in the past and came with IT policy installed and a locked firewall whose settings I haven’t so far been able to alter. I had read about the BB browser being useless on GPRS/EDGE connections without a BB data plan – which I have so far decided not to get just yet – therefore I set about installing Opera Mini: I duly downloaded it over my home wi-fi connection but the program would just not launch sending back the error message “The application operette $2dhifi has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy”; I haven’t tried any other third party application yet as I’d expect to get the same problem, I will as and when I manage to get OM to work.

After faffing about with all sorts of variables and finally getting confirmation from my carrier, Vodafone UK about the correct APN settings I have come to the “wiping the device a few times” stage resorting to different techniques: going through Security settings, using JL_Cmdr for instance until the last time when I did it by entering the wrong password ten times in Application Loader which supposedly should 507 the device - or if you prefer nuke the BB OS... Well, it didn’t for some reason and although I had managed to remove the IT policy reference – using the policy.bin workaround - in the Security Settings view it must still be in place somehow or else I wouldn’t be getting the problem anymore.

The thing is after a number of wipes and restores somehow a Vodafone Live! icon has appeared out of nowhere on the device and lo and behold after I re-entered the correct APN settings the BB browser has started working on the GPRS/EDGE connection – until now it had always returned a message of signal strength being insufficient for data -, albeit without the BB data plan I still have lower case indication next to the signal strength on the home screen. In the meantime what’s happening with Opera Mini? Nothing has changed, still get the same error message – hence the IT policy is still active.

Just to sum this up: 8820 with old IT policy on and locked firewall settings, Opera Mini not launching. Used the policy.bin workaround and as the reference to the policy in Security Settings had disappeared thought I had got rid of it but no-go, Opera Mini still not working. Did a number of device wipes, the last one supposedly designed to take out the BB OS with it and 507 the handheld but that didn’t quite happen and still OM not working. After doing a restore BB browser starts working like a dream, OM still going nowhere.

Has anyone got any explanation of why the BB browser would have all of a sudden decided to cooperate under circumstances when it’s not supposed to? How do I get rid of this flipping IT policy I unknowingly inherited once and for all? What’s there left to try to get third party applications to work? They are all the more important to me as for the time being I chose not to have a BB data plan. I am still trying although travelling a lot for work doesn’t help as my work laptop won’t communicate with my privately owned BB – again IT policies I suppose – and when at home wife and kids demand their share of attention. When I’ll come across anything that seems of some use I will post again but in the meantime if anyone can chip in with some other advice/info that’ll be highly appreciated.

Regards

velvetelvis no está en línea Stack level 1
    Change your TCP setting to wap.voicestream.com
    username password leave blank

JimScar no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was having the same issue of Opera Mini 4.1 not installing on my 8820. OTA wouldn't finish, and Desktop Manager wouldn't recognize the ALX file.

First, I switched the browser setting from "BlackBerry" to "Internet". Doubt that made a difference. Then, I reloaded 4.1 via OTA and selected "NO" to low level access, then "YES" to Network Access.

Now Opera works, but the text is all jumbled together. I'll have to play around and see if I can get it legible.

JimScar no está en línea Stack level 1
    Last edited by JimScar; 07-18-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: duplicate

Flyer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Hi I'm UK based pinstacker with a BB 8100 on the T-Mobile network. OS is 4.2.0.51 platform 2.2.0.32
    my TCP settings are correctly set to general.t-mobile.uk user and pass being the username passwords as per Opera website despite battery pulls, uninstalls, re-installs and even installing older versions of opera mini nothing works HELP ME I'M GOING TO GET LOCKED AS A NUTTER BECAUSE OF THIS!