Why would Cingular get this phone first? I'm not saying that I have anything against ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

arb982 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241BF92C

okay, so just a general question/discussion

Advertisement

Why would Cingular get this phone first? I'm not saying that I have anything against Cingular, but by the time this phone hits the market, won't Cingular be AT&T? It just seems a little odd to me that they would lock such a highly anticipated phone to a company with some questions about the direction it's going to take after re-branding. What do you all think?

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: okay, so just a general question/discussion

Arb, actually, there is virtually no change in Cingular's ownership, just a name change (to one that is more internationally recognizeable).

From Cingular's website: Cingular is solely owned by AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) now that the merger between its former parent companies, AT&T Inc. (formerly SBC) and BellSouth (NYSE: BLS) has closed.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Time will tell what happens... lol
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

wblovett no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by arb982
    Why would Cingular get this phone first? I'm not saying that I have anything against Cingular, but by the time this phone hits the market, won't Cingular be AT&T? It just seems a little odd to me that they would lock such a highly anticipated phone to a company with some questions about the direction it's going to take after re-branding. What do you all think?
    Still, it's a valid question. I was wondering whether the 8800 is going to be branded Cingular or AT&T. Any info?

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

well im hoping for T-mo to get it first

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I'm seconding husnain's post, and if not first at least the same time as the other carriers. I'd just be pissed if they release it first without Wi-Fi and a camera.

toymachinejg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24232f19

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~can any body tell me if it is going to be a press realese because I went to the blackberry website and it gives you a list of thire press realese dates

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Who knows? The branding doesn't matter to me since the underlying company and network are the same. I certainly don't get paid by Cingular or at&t (in fact, I pay them quite a bit for what I get) or whatever they're called at this very minute to advertise for them. The exact branding will probably depend on how far along the 8800 is and how well Cingular planned for the rebranding. If it really matters to you, I'd recommend waiting until the Indigo is released and someone can confirm what logo is on the device, rather than sit here and speculate randomly. Nothing is official until a carrier or RIM makes an official announcement.

Exclusives are granted to the carriers that pay for it and it doesn't sound like TMO paid for the Indigo which is likely to be released first. If you really want one or the other that badly, you can always buy at the no-contract price and unlock. Every rumor/leak indicates that the Crimson will be released down the road so I don't see why anyone would get all worked up about it not being released at the same time as the Indigo.

As SuzzyP says, "Time will tell...". If you can't wait, you can switch carriers or pay full retail (or I guess whine about it here but that's the least effective choice).

arb982 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241BF92C

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    As SuzzyP says, "Time will tell...". If you can't wait, you can switch carriers or pay full retail (or I guess whine about it here but that's the least effective choice).
    or as the thread stated, just discuss it with other people who post here, not wait for some holier than thou jerk to offer up some condescending nugget of wisdom...

i just wondered what other people were thinking about the whole thing...
    Last edited by StaceyRVC; 01-24-2007 at 12:37 PM.

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

Ouch.....

The only thing that's getting under my skin about this 8800 is the lack of 3G. I've played with the pearls, I'm just not convinced with the trackball thingy. It's not bad, I just think I'll prefer the wheel on the side. The other thing is the keyboard, the pictures have me worried about the design, I'm sure it's just a "have to get used to it" thing.. We'll see....

Other than that I can't wait to get one. I know that I'll be getting mine the second it's delivered... (unless they tell us no).