Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, the coverage for Cingular seems to be good in the Northeast. I can only ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: New & Confused...

Advertisement

Well, the coverage for Cingular seems to be good in the Northeast. I can only go by their map...my friend got Cingular recently and said he doesn't have any major problems. I'm not sure what else I can do other then try it.

My main concern is that the web browsing speed will be acceptable and I will be able to use applications like SSH and AIM. Checking email I know is robust. Also, if the phone doesn't come out by the end of next week I'm not sure what I am going to do. I might have to just get the old model from VZ. I don't have a phone right now and it is killing me.

Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3

Yeah, that sucks. You could always go and buy a phone from Cing if that they way you're leaning and then, since you'll be within the 14 day return period, return it next week when the 8800 comes out with them.

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

Hi Cookcrack, i left Verizon for Cingular and have never been happier. I had Verizon for years (4) and Im loving the rollover with Cingular. I know the corporate stores give you 30 day return or exchange policy. Hope this helps....
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Be sure to hceck out T-mobile. In the Northwest t-mobile is tops with Verizon in terms of service, while Cingular is still behind. T-mobile is by far the cheapest of all carriers, and they are the cheapest world wide. Your phone will work oversees. As always in the business world. Check all your options, First off, since you currently do business with them. Check with Verizon about upgrading your phone, and see if you can do a double upgrade....#2, check out cingular and not just a friend. Check out other people as well, and pick up a consumer report with cell service ratings. You might be surprized! #3, check out T-mobile and Sprint. See what the cost are verses what you are looking for. T-mobile you can add BB add on feature to any line for just $19.99, but if service with T-mobile isn't good in your area, I highly recommend another service.

I have personally had Cingular, at&t wireless, Verizon, Voicestream/t-mobile, Nextell and sprint.

Out of all companies, Verizon and T-mobile were head and shoulders above the rest, Cingular and at&t were the worst in customer service and service. I left Verizon cause it cost way to much money, but the service was outsanding customer service were good. T-mobile has good service, and oustanding customer service.

Hey Boomboom,

I appreciate the thoughtful reply! Believe me this has been quite the dillema for the past week or so here and I am not sure what it is I want to do, but I must act quickly...

First, I am rarely in the NW so service out there is not a big deal. My travels are NE/Intl. TMobile does not work well in the NE but like you said I'm going to have to go ahead and read some reports first hand. Do you have a URL or somewhere to start off my search?

Verizon will not let me upgrade my phones before November 1, 2007. I have tried, they do not care. The problem with TMobile/Sprint is that they do not have the latest phone, 8800 that I want (I need a blackberry and that feature set). They won't have it for a while.

Some things do concern me regarding Cingular, especially customer service but to be honest I don't think I've ever called VZWireless customer service, and at this point I am just fed up with the __pathetic__ choice offering that they have. I am also worried about the service but I cannot imagine it being THAT bad in major areas where I travel. The international factor is a plus.

I don't know, I am paying $165 a month and am dissatisfied. I have a phone that doesn't hold a charge, can't browse the internet or answer emails. I feel like I should be paying $10/month for this.

Cingular seems to have a good offer and a price that beats Verizon, plus I just found out I can get 20% off the monthly fee for a Volunteer Firefighter discount!

Argh...decisions.

Uri

Quote Originally Posted by wendycharles
    Hi Cookcrack, i left Verizon for Cingular and have never been happier. I had Verizon for years (4) and Im loving the rollover with Cingular. I know the corporate stores give you 30 day return or exchange policy. Hope this helps....
    30 days!!!! I'll have to check that out, maybe I can get a blackberry now return it when the 8800 comes out!!! Thanks!

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

the only option you have if you want a high speed connection is going to sprint

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    the only option you have if you want a high speed connection is going to sprint
    Everyone is saying that....what are the speeds?? Verizon only gave me 400kbps...can Cingular not even match that?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Cookcrack,
    Greetings & Welcome to the Forum.

After trying all the rest I'm with Cingular & very happy.

1) Regarding speed you will not be disappointed. I process at least 40-60 emails per day quite easily.

2) I travel very extensively all over the US & Europe. I have great coverage everywhere, which is critical as I am a CEO who maintains a high level of communication at all times.

It's important to have a GSM BB as the rest of the world uses GSM. The only carriers in the US that use GSM are Cingular & T-Mobile. CDMA, EVDO are old technologies that will not matter going forward.

In my experience with two BlackBerrys, one with EVDO & the 0ther with EDGE (Cingular) the EVDO BB was a bit faster, but not enough to justify getting a BB that can only be used in the US & which will be outdated in less than a year with no upgrade path.

3) Cingular has 3G service now in all the major US markets & will soon be completed nationwide. No other carrier will have 3G for the next year or longer.

I just bought a RAZR V3xx which is 3G just to see what the speed is like & it's very fast.
    So for now the limitation is not Cingular it's RIM.

That said, it's my understanding that the next BB model after the 8800 will be 3G & offered by Cingular.

I believe that you would benefit by going with Cingular.

~via BB 8700c (wap.pinstack.com)~

Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3

Archer, so in your travels, you rarely have problems with Cing? Are you traveling to rural areas, or just major cities? I travel too and sometimes I need to drive into the backwood areas and I'd need to know I get a signal everywhere. I'd jump to Cingular and pay the 175 to verizon if I knew that call and signal quality would be equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperboy2007
    Archer, so in your travels, you rarely have problems with Cing? Are you traveling to rural areas, or just major cities? I travel too and sometimes I need to drive into the backwood areas and I'd need to know I get a signal everywhere. I'd jump to Cingular and pay the 175 to verizon if I knew that call and signal quality would be equivalent.
    Yes, I travel in rural areas as well. I drive about 80k per year nearly 30% of my contacts are in all areas of California. Then when traveling by plane to other states, it's get a rental car and drive some more. Since I have a certain "route" that I know well, I have learned where the "weak signal" areas as well as the strong areas. I tried Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and then Cingular. By far the best coverage in the many areas that I am in comes from Cingular.

That said, we must remember it's a cell phone (radio) . So there is no perfect carrier, or continuous signal everywhere. It depends on a wide variety of factors, besides just where the towers are located, and how many there are.

I know a subcontractor who owns a large company that builds cell phone towers for the various carriers. The feedback I get is that Cingular builds the most, the quickest and is on a continual path to roll out 3G (they are already the first) beyond the major markets they have already setup for 3G. They have a goal to be the first to have complete nationwide coverage and are progressing well with that. After which they will migrate to 3.5G.

I have just purchased a RAZR V3xx which is the fastest 3G phone currently available. Only Cingular has the network in place to support it. I am really impressed with the huge speed increase especially when it comes to internet access, streaming audio & video. Very impressive.

This is one of the very reasons that I may pass on the 8800 is that it's my understanding that the 9xxx series will definitely have 3G.

Regarding customer service, if they make a mistake on my bill (and they have), the correction is made everytime without any questions. They are very courteous and easy to do business with. In addition, without me having to ask they gave me an airtime credit for the inconvenience of having to call in and have the corrections made. Finally they always thank me for my business and offer to look into anything else that I might have questions about.

Another relatively new service that is free, is the link on their web site under support, which takes you to "tech chat". This is a fantastic service. The wait in the que is usually less than 2 minutes.

You post your problem, they give you the answer, very quickly. In the event (like with a BlackBerry) that you need a file, or service books, or any other type of updated software, they post the link in the contents of the chat. Then all you do is click on it and download it.

I cannot say enough good things about this service. Especially since you are not on your phone, you are connected to them via your PC so you can get instant access to whatever you need.

In the event that you are not having a problem, but would simply like the latest version of the OS, or Desktop Manager, they have all of that on the site, and it's very easy to find.

In one case I had an issue that needed to be addressed by RIM, so instead of putting it on me to call. They asked if I would mind waiting while they called for me, as they get priority attention. No less than 3 minutes later they were back on the chat line with the file that I needed. Most impressive!

Finally, they are specially trained on the BlackBerry in the Tech Chat room and they are very fast at identifying the issue and assisting in resolving it.

So as I see it, the future is with Cingular as is the present.

Cheers...

I just want to say thanks to everyone. It's really rewarding to come to a new forum, be able to ask a couple of question and get a large civil discussion going...me thinks, me hit a goldmine!

I've decided to go ahead and get the 8800 from Cingular on Wed when it comes out. I will report back with information, and a million other questions I'm sure!

Cookcrack -

You're welcome. I too really enjoy this forum. It's filled with great people and excellent information & solutions.

It's exciting to hear that you are getting the new 8800!

I have a request: please give us some detailed feedback on the keyboard.

That's the one area for me that is a make or break decision. Since my hands are a bit large I'm always trying to find the right keyboard. I'm not looking for a large keyboard or keys for that matter, just one than is well designed.

An example is the smaller keyboard on my 7130c is easier to use than the one on my 8700c. The reason is the keys. On the 7130 they are conventionally shaped, flat on top and rectangular in shape. Whereas the 8700 keys are vertical, & narrower on top than the bottom.

So far the pictures I've seen of the 8800 the keys look much improved. Shaped more like regular rectangular keys.

Therefore I am very interested in hearing how you like the keyboard.

Thanks!
    Archer6

~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sure, I'll let you know. It's my first BB ever so it will be unbiased to other models...it's going to be an improvement from T9 Lol!!

Wow! Your first BlackBerry and your timing is perfect! This is one of the most exciting models in a long time.

You are really going to be impressed with all that you can do with it. Plus with this great forum you will have terrific support.

Cheers...
    ~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast