Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Hi everyone! I'm new here and have been trying to get a grip around the ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

  1. #1
    cookcrack's Avatar
    cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    45

    New & Confused...

    Advertisement



    Hi everyone!

    I'm new here and have been trying to get a grip around the different Blackberry models that are out there. My new company doesn't support the Treo so off to Blackberry land I go. I already accepted the fact that Verizon will be getting $175 from me for getting out of the contract early, and I am willing to switch to Cingular...anyway here are my questions:

    1) I see that the 8800 is coming out sometime either this week on in late Q2 of 2007, so with that said: what is the difference betweeen the 8703e, the 8800 and the Pearl? What I'm looking for is to be able to get email, surf the internet, play mp3's and have a expansion slot so I can store 2gb of data and transfer it back and forth to my pc (usb cable, bluetooth preffered).

    2) Right now I have the Verizon Aircard (PCMCIA) to my laptop. Can I use my Blackberry to connect to the internet (tether?) The sales rep told me it would be 56k speeds but is there a way to make it faster?

    Anyway thanks for the help and sorry if I am repetitive. I couldn't find any posts about comparisons of these models...

    I'd like to pick something up by next week/end of February!

    Uri

  2. #2
    ljbyar's Avatar
    ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    7,818

    Re: New & Confused...

    Hello Cookcrack and Welcome to the Stacks.

    On point #1: If you want the expansion slot, you will need the 8800. The 8800 will also have an upgraded operating system, built-in GPS and have a slightly smaller form factor.

    On point #2: You will be able to use your BB as a modem for you laptop. Speed depends on Cingular. I believe they run EDGE which is faster than GPRS, but slower than the CDMA you're used to on Verizon.

    Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    kasperapd's Avatar
    kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    172

    Re: New & Confused...

    The only devices with the expansion slot will be the Pearl or the 8800. The Pearl uses SureType technology and the 8800 has a full QWERTY keyboard. Both can surf the net and play MP3's. The Pearl has a camera and the 8800 does not.

    You can use the Blackberry to tether, but I believe Cingular charges more for this, and you will notice that EDGE is considerably slower than the EVDO you are used to.

  4. #4
    cookcrack's Avatar
    cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re: New & Confused...

    Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    Hello Cookcrack and Welcome to the Stacks.

    On point #1: If you want the expansion slot, you will need the 8800. The 8800 will also have an upgraded operating system, built-in GPS and have a slightly smaller form factor.

    On point #2: You will be able to use your BB as a modem for you laptop. Speed depends on Cingular. I believe they run EDGE which is faster than GPRS, but slower than the CDMA you're used to on Verizon.

    Hope that helps.
    Great, so now I wonder when the 8800 will be available The sales rep and the forum say Feb 20, 2007 but I wonder how hard it will be to get. Am I looking at a few months before I can switch?

    Point #2: Modem...as in modem speeds? Darn I thought Cingular was pretty advanced with the technology and I would see good speed (300-500kbps)

    Uri

  5. #5
    cookcrack's Avatar
    cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re: New & Confused...

    Quote Originally Posted by kasperapd
    The only devices with the expansion slot will be the Pearl or the 8800. The Pearl uses SureType technology and the 8800 has a full QWERTY keyboard. Both can surf the net and play MP3's. The Pearl has a camera and the 8800 does not.

    You can use the Blackberry to tether, but I believe Cingular charges more for this, and you will notice that EDGE is considerably slower than the EVDO you are used to.
    Is there a better network than Cingular that will offer the 8800 soon? Right now with Verizon I'm getting about 400-600kbps. How much slower is EDGE?

  6. #6
    ljbyar's Avatar
    ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    7,818

    Re: New & Confused...

    Quote Originally Posted by cookcrack
    Great, so now I wonder when the 8800 will be available The sales rep and the forum say Feb 20, 2007 but I wonder how hard it will be to get. Am I looking at a few months before I can switch?

    Point #2: Modem...as in modem speeds? Darn I thought Cingular was pretty advanced with the technology and I would see good speed (300-500kbps)

    Uri
    I don't think you should have a problem getting the 8800 from Cingy over the next couple of weeks (my speculation).

    The laptop would only run at the speed of your 8800 service unfortunately. And as Kasper said, it will be slower than the EVDO you're used to.

  7. #7
    cookcrack's Avatar
    cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re: New & Confused...

    Do you know the speed range to expect? 56k? 200kb? 500k?

  8. #8
    bdbrown3703's Avatar
    bdbrown3703 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    Re: New & Confused...

    Before you switch from Verizon there are a few things to consider. First of all if you travel nation-wide currently there is no comparisson to the Verizon coverage. Yes, they do charge more that the other guys, but in business communication is critical. You can have the neatest phone made and if you are in a weak signal area, you end up talking to yourself.

    Secondly, I flew on a flight two night ago and sat next to a Verizon VP who assured me that the 8800 is coming out under the Verizon Brand in April/May. He went so far as to promise to send me an 8800 to try in the next two weeks. I have his business card and sent him an email thanking him in advance (so that he won't forget me)

    Yes you can tether the BB (8800, 8700,7100) to your computer and use it as your modem. Only difference on Verizon, if you are in a major metropolitan area, you will be able to connect at speeds way over the 56K (dial up) speeds.


    Currently I am using an 8703e with Verizon. It is a great phone. Sounds great, good for sending and receiving email. I probably will switch to the 8800 as soon as I can get the phone. From what I have heard, it offers Voice Dialing, MP3 capability,slightly smaller form factor and WI-FI. Only one thing bothers me. The Vice President that I met could not remember if the 8800 will initially have a camera. If it has a camera, I will be forced to pass on the phone. I do business with the Federal Government and am not allowed to take a phone with a camera onto military bases and other military offices. I do hope that RIM remembers it core business customer base and passes on this feature.

    Like you, I am excited about the introduction of the 8800.

  9. #9
    cookcrack's Avatar
    cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re: New & Confused...

    Quote Originally Posted by bdbrown3703
    ...
    Like you, I am excited about the introduction of the 8800.
    Woah! This is major news...Verizon wouldn't even talk to me about the 8800. I love VZ's coverage and service and would rather not change, but my business is growing to a point where a simple phone just won't do it anymore. I have a "Get It Now" email application and well I might suffer a heart attack if I have to keep downloading "1" email at a time and replying via T9...

    So, let me ask you, if I get a Blackberry 8703e from VZ, can I then upgrade to the 8800 without paying all over again? ie: return the 8703e and then upgrade....what would you recommend I do between now and early May when it will be available?

    What are the odds you can PM me and get me a copy in two weeks as well

    Thanks,
    Uri

  10. #10
    bdbrown's Avatar
    bdbrown no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17

    Re: New & Confused...

    I really don't know Verizon's policy on upgrades and exchanges. I had a phone with a problem and they exchanged it for the exact model, No questions asked. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

    PS. The Verizon 8703e is still great.

  11. #11
    takeshi's Avatar
    takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: New & Confused...

    First of all, select your carrier based on coverage. Nothing else really matters if you can't use your device where you need it.

    Second, determine your preference for SureType versus full qwerty. By that point you're down to only 1 or 2 models.

    You'll have to wait for the 8800 regardless of carrier. I'm personally waiting for the 8820. Cingular's 8800's won't have WiFi if that matters.

    Honestly. I'd be leery of getting a device from Verizon. There's no telling what they'll decide to cripple. Ask VZW 8703e users about that built-in GPS, for example... Tethering speeds are faster with EVDO but browsing on the Blackberry is currently bottlenecked by the speed of the processor and you won't see much of a difference between EDGE and EVDO using the Blackberry Browser.

  12. #12
    cookcrack's Avatar
    cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re: New & Confused...

    Well it seems that Cingular and Verizon have the same coverage in the Northeast where I reside most of my time. I will be doing some international travel to India, London, China and Israel, I think the Blackberry from Cingular will work there but not from Verizon.

    I want the full qwerty keyboard. I will be doing some browsing, email and accessing things through ssh so a full keyboard is a must.

    I don't think I need WiFi? The point of that will simply allow me to connect to a wireless network but if I can use the network that Cingular/Verizon has what's the advantage? The main thing I want is Tethering to my laptop. Again I don't need massive speeds just browsable speeds.

    The 8800 sounds like it will be out in 5 days. I can always upgrade to the 8820 later if I need it. My main concern is getting something I can work with now and not 6 months from now.

    What do you think?

  13. #13
    Paperboy2007's Avatar
    Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    86

    Re: New & Confused...

    Im in the same boat. Out of contract with Verizon with a phone that's about to fall apart. My wifes Verizon contract is up 10/1 (upgradable 8/1). Id love to get an 8800 next week, but I don't neccessarily want to leave Verizon. I'm hesitant to get the 8703 because it just feels very thick. I have some international travel coming up and would like to use my phone/bbry, but I don't think I can with VZ. I was in the Verizon store this afternoon about to get the 8703, but part of me kept saying to wait a week, pay the 175 contract termination fee for my wife and just move onto Cingular. I live in NJ, but also travel around the country a bit and wouldnt want to sacrifice connect-ability or sound quality.

  14. #14
    cookcrack's Avatar
    cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re: New & Confused...

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperboy2007
    Im in the same boat. Out of contract with Verizon with a phone that's about to fall apart. My wifes Verizon contract is up 10/1 (upgradable 8/1). Id love to get an 8800 next week, but I don't neccessarily want to leave Verizon. I'm hesitant to get the 8703 because it just feels very thick. I have some international travel coming up and would like to use my phone/bbry, but I don't think I can with VZ. I was in the Verizon store this afternoon about to get the 8703, but part of me kept saying to wait a week, pay the 175 contract termination fee for my wife and just move onto Cingular. I live in NJ, but also travel around the country a bit and wouldnt want to sacrifice connect-ability or sound quality.
    Here here! My monthly rate with Verizon is $165 for the phone+date+pcmcia internet card. Right now to fix my phone will cost me $50 to fix...and I will still have my crappy phone.

    Each line to cancel will be $175. Cingular quoted me $79.99 for 1350 minutes + $59.99 for unlimited Blackberry access + corporate email access. So now I am looking at $139/month. Since I can tether my Blackberry to my laptop, I will not need that PCMCIA card. Figure the Blackberry will cost $250 after rebate. So to change to Cingular will cost:

    $350 to cancel VZ
    $250 for Blackberry
    $140 per month of access
    Total: $700

    Then im saving $350 (monthly price difference + $50 for fix)...so net cost is $350 to switch and I have a new "phone".

    It's awfully tempting....

  15. #15
    Paperboy2007's Avatar
    Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    86

    Re: New & Confused...

    DOn't forget you'll also have the 'ability' to upgrade to the latest technology when most others do, as opposed to VZ where you typically need to wait 2-3-6 months (yes I realize that isn't the case with the 8800).

    The big question is the difference in service quality and coverage.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •