I know these questions have been asked a million times, but I really need to ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

dropmyload no está en línea Stack level 2

New 8800 User Pls Help Me!

Advertisement

I know these questions have been asked a million times, but I really need to ask again.

Just got my new Blackberry 8800 today (office issue), and they said will set it up tomorrow (GSM in Kenya). In the meantime, in my usual curiosity, I went exploring. Can anyone help me with the following:

1. How does one add gmail to the 8800?
    2. I also have a private mail server and would like to add that to the 8800 also.
    3. How do I get yahoo and msn chat?
    4. This is the big question: how do I transfer contacts from my Nokia 9300 to the 8800? I do not keep contacts on the sim card, just on the phone. This is so critical as I just cannot seem to do it.
    Sorry to bother, hope you experts can help a helpless newbie like me!

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Re: New 8800 User Pls Help Me!

Hi and Welcome!

Here is a pretty good link on the BIS setup which you would use for your gmail and private mail.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ounts_bis.html

As for chat there are several clients that you can use. Here is a link for the downloads section that should have several to choose from.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...s.html?catid=3

Can you sync your contacts with outlook? If so then you can sync to the BB. Other than that I don't know of a way to transfer them.

I hope that helps.

Yes I think I can synch Nokia with outlook. That's a good idea, then eprhaps I can synch outlook with the BB. Will try tonight at home on my personal laptop before using the office piece.

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Let us know if you need any more help. There is a ton of good info on this site and a lot of good people to help.

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by dropmyload
    I know these questions have been asked a million times, but I really need to ask again.

Just got my new Blackberry 8800 today (office issue), and they said will set it up tomorrow (GSM in Kenya). In the meantime, in my usual curiosity, I went exploring. Can anyone help me with the following:

1. How does one add gmail to the 8800?
    2. I also have a private mail server and would like to add that to the 8800 also.
    3. How do I get yahoo and msn chat?
    4. This is the big question: how do I transfer contacts from my Nokia 9300 to the 8800? I do not keep contacts on the sim card, just on the phone. This is so critical as I just cannot seem to do it.
    Sorry to bother, hope you experts can help a helpless newbie like me!
    1. You'll need to sign up to a BLackberry Internet Service (BIS) account through your carrier to acheive this.
    2. Ditto. As long as your mail server supports pop3, imap or OWA once you have a BIS account you can add up to 10 other email accounts.
    3. You'll need to find an IM client that supports these services. I don't use this so can't really advise on this, everyone has their favourites tho.
    4. Do you sync the contacts on your Nokia with your laptop/desktop using Nokia PC suite? If so, just do the same with your Blackberry using Blackberry Desktop Manager. If not... that might be the easiest way to do it anyway!

Hope this helps.
    Miles.

Thanks all, got it working!

Trying to find a decent IM program, also my BB came without a browser, very strange

Oh so sorry, forgot to ask, can the BB handle excel and word files? Do I need a seperate program for that?

Oh so sorry, forgot to ask, can the BB handle excel and word files? Do I need a seperate program for that?
    You can open word and excel attachements to mails, but you can't edit them, only view them.

Here's a link to the various formats that are supported:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2019778921
    Miles.

Thanks all, got it working!

Trying to find a decent IM program, also my BB came without a browser, very strange
    Forgot I have used QuickIM and this was ok. Don't think it was free though.

Your carrier should have a browser (or two) that your device has access too. They might need to provision you for this though so might be worth a call to them.

Depending on your plan browsing may or may not be expensive.
    Miles.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It comes with a browser but you need a BB data plan for the icon to appear.

Excellent, tey activated me today and all is well.

Also downloaded something called jivetalk and it wrks magic!

Now let me explore my BB and see how it goes.

BTW am travelling out of country on Monday, so is there any way of "turning off" incoming emails fom desktop and then "turning on" again, mybe later in the day etc???

Also, does BB have auto key lock for the keyboard, like Nokia? (sorry, hev used nokai for so long still can't get over it)