Hey guys! This looks like a really nice forum. I am a first time blackberry ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

squall458 no está en línea Stack level 1

New 8800 owner and first time RIM user noob questions

Advertisement

Hey guys! This looks like a really nice forum. I am a first time blackberry user and I am loving my 8800 from Rogers. How do I get the maps to work (I have no GPS sub). Also, I currently do not have a data plan as its not as good US carrier data plans. Can this use a wifi connection to surf? Where do I get more applications as the included CD only had the desktop software and media manager. I learned how to get themes already and loving that! Any general tips/suggestions is greatly appreciated! TIA

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: New 8800 owner and first time RIM user noob questions

Welcome to the stacks. I understand that you dont have a data plan, but in my opinion that is the way to go. You can download some applications to your PC and put them onto your BB via USB. You can look at the downloads section listed above in the blue header. The 8800 does not have Wifi capabilities.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

Steve-hose no está en línea Stack level 2

A good way to start is to start searching for the questions you have, most likely the answers already exist in the boards. Cheers.

angiesbiz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25E0711A

Welcine to PinStacks!

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

Welcome! Glad you are enjoying your 8800!
    /~*brooke

JoshKingston no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'm pretty sure that you can't use the maps withought a data plan.

wasntxme no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2408fbdc

Cant imagine why one would pay the hardware costs for an 8800 and not get a Data Plan. If you just need the basic function of BB email "push", buy an 8700 model for free (after rebates).

8800 is for GPS ($200 value if compared to Garmin) and websurfing (great for road warriors who have downtime and want to read newspapers and articles around the country). Both require data plan.

Email gets expensive if you use it every day, so do the math and you should realize the data plans arent overpriced. If you're new, notice that EVERY email you get comes through. No cherry picking unless you get a @Blackberry address (but then you have to notify the world).

Note: all of the above is based on TMobile pricing plans which may differ from carrier to carrier.

squall458 no está en línea Stack level 1

I got it for a good price and I am getting a data plan after all but it would be mainly for email. Thanks for the posts!!! I appreciate it.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by wasntxme
    Cant imagine why one would pay the hardware costs for an 8800 and not get a Data Plan.
    Well, that's the beauty of it. There are choices. Different people have different needs. Just because you can't imagine doesn't mean that someone else can't... Plenty of BB owners are perfectly happy without data plans. I can't imagine using a BB without BES but, thankfully, not everyone has to use BES just because I find it useful.

However the OP does need a data plan for maps.

Quote Originally Posted by squall458
    Can this use a wifi connection to surf?
    Nope. There's no WiFi radio in the 8800.

Quote Originally Posted by squall458
    Where do I get more applications as the included CD only had the desktop software and media manager.
    That's like asking "where do I get more applications for my PC?". There's not a single source. I recommend reading the forums to find software that meets your needs. You'll generally find the info you need to get the app from the relevant threads (or you can search once you have the names of some apps that sound interesting/useful).
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-26-2007 at 09:47 AM.

mrmicros no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS with Rogers can be very expensive....Maps uses ALOT of Data and you would need to purchases the unlimted plan. We I first choose a min plan they gave me 3 month unlimted so I could track my useage and upgrade plan if I wanted too. Unless you use maps daily in your work then it's a toy and can be expensive one as our US friends get great air rates deals as due to competition. In Canada the Big 3 have a Monopoly. I use maps alot and bought a TomTom that is perfect and will save me money this year. Love my 8800 and email!! MY Customes think I sit in front of my PC all day.
    Good Luck and enjoy!!