Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I just acquired a 8800 for 120 dollars and I have the curve now. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3

Need Help deciding... 8800 or curve...

Advertisement

So I just acquired a 8800 for 120 dollars and I have the curve now. The curve is within the 30 days so I can return that without a problem. The Dilema I face is whether I want the 8800 or whether I should just sell it. I like the media player function of the curve and the camera, but I really dont want to have to lug around a GPS puck to use the GPS Telenav. I guess I can live without the camera, but my main question is with a new AT&T OS, will the media player resemble the curve (or the 8830 for that matter) or will it still be the same old media player that came with the 8800 from the get go. I am very tempted to keep the curve and sell the 8800, but I personally like the look better and the keyboard (go figure). Anyone here have the same dilema or is it just me?

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Re: Need Help deciding... 8800 or curve...

I use the Curve and my brother the 8800. They both do have their ups and downs. The only thing that can be recomended is to try them both out and see which one's better for you. And think, do you really need the GPS. I had a puck for a while, but realized that I only drove around the same places, so I didn't really need it...I just liked the fact of having it. And the media player will stay the same, I don't see why they would change it on that phone because it's primarily a business phone. Personally, I like the Curve and how light it is. And the 3.5mm jack where normal headphones and aux jacks fit, Love it! I don't carry around an mp3 player any more with my phone (take that iPhone!). Just figure out which one you'll use more of the functions with...
    Cingular is now the new at&t

bikedogrun no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by gatechfireblade
    So I just acquired a 8800 for 120 dollars and I have the curve now. The curve is within the 30 days so I can return that without a problem. The Dilema I face is whether I want the 8800 or whether I should just sell it. I like the media player function of the curve and the camera, but I really dont want to have to lug around a GPS puck to use the GPS Telenav. I guess I can live without the camera, but my main question is with a new AT&T OS, will the media player resemble the curve (or the 8830 for that matter) or will it still be the same old media player that came with the 8800 from the get go. I am very tempted to keep the curve and sell the 8800, but I personally like the look better and the keyboard (go figure). Anyone here have the same dilema or is it just me?
    Well - another option to consider is to sell both and acquire an 8830 from Sprint. Has the GPS built-in and it is unlocked, so free with BB Maps or Google Maps. It also has the updated Media player than automatically indexs your MP3s by Artist/Album/Genre ... I've been very, VERY pleased with mine. Oh - and the EVDO data network speeds blow away EDGE performance!

/BD

I do not want to leave ATT....

angiesbiz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25E0711A

Both phones have nice features on them, but I currently own the 8800 and love it. I played around with the curve and it feels good in the hand the keys are separated especially if you came from an 8700 that would be a plus to you. Many think the 8800 keys are too cramped, but I like the keys and pretty much the looks of the phone, but the camera isn't really a big deal with me.

So I preferred the 8800 over the 8300 and couldn't be happier. Just play around with the 8300 and put the 2 phones together and see which features will be useful for you to get the job done and then you will know which device is right for you. Good luck in your choice!

gtox no está en línea Stack level 2

I have that dilema and have found that I like th 8300 and use the GPS less frequently then I expect to be using it. I have a puck and am okay with using that device. The curve is my favorite so far.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

I'm sure the 8800's media player will be updated when they get around to a major update of the OS. Again, you really just have to decide which features are more important to you.

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Or you could just up and get the 8820 just announced today...its got both GPS and WiFi...I think something just made my Curve feel insignificant...
    Cingular is now the new at&t

PIN/ID
    25E0711A

I have read stories where people would actually own a Pearl, Curve and a 8700 at the same time. Talk about a gadget junkie! I guess that has settled many delimas, but I truly think just see what is more useful for you so that you are not stuck with more devices which basically perform the same duties.

I think I am just going to keep the curve. The 8800 is no doubt a handy phone, but I honestly would be getting it just because it has gps and I can't say that I actually use gps enough for it to come in that handy. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Another question though, is why is everyone ranting about the 8820 with wifi? What programs are so data intensive that it will require wifi. Given the edge connection is a little slow, it isn't thay bad. I rarely need it to act any faster.

PIN/ID
    25E0711A

I would like to know if the battery life will still be as good as it is on the 8800? I know wi-fi can put stress on a battery as I have a Palm Life Drive with wi-fi bluetooth and a 4gig hard drive and I have to charge it everynight if I use wi-fi in the run of a day.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Neither the curve or 8800 have wifi. The upcoming 8820 will have wifi. From what I can tell, it uses the same battery as the 8800/8830.

How much worse the battery life will be on the 8820 will depend largely on the efficiency of the WiFi radio in it, as well as how much that radio gets used. I suspect it will fall somewhere between the 8800 and the 8830. Even WiFi shouldn't suck as much power as CDMA hardware.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

StatikBB no está en línea Stack level 2

WiFi will undoubtedly suck some juice from the phone. I love the 8800 for three reasons mostly; 1. I am a moderate BB user (emails, talk time, PINs, internet and such) and I have found that I only have to charge my 8800 evry two or three days 2. I love the querty keyboard (Pearl was my first BB) and the overall stlish sleek black and silver look to it 3. I live in a rural area stuck right in the middle of two cities (neither of which I visit often enough in the two years I have been here to know my way around well) so it really benefts me to have the GPS if I want to go grab something to eat at a new place, or go have a night on the town (including bar hopping GPS is useful on foot too :P) So overall the 8800 is the phone for me!!!
    -Statik-
    T-Mobile RSR
    8100 Pearl

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

I'm having the same dilemma as well. I can't decide which I want, but now I'm leaning more towards the 8800 because I need GPS (I already have a badass camera). Are you selling the 8800 by chance? I'm very interested if so.
    /~*brooke

Prorock no está en línea Stack level 3

Size was a consideration for me besides the choice of internal GPS or camera (camera won by the way). I don't have a desk job so the one that was less bulky in my pocket won out. I like the keyboard on the 8300 better too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast