I have the Blackberry 8820. Its my favorite phone so far. I like the keyboard ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

chuckymafia no está en línea Stack level 2

My 8820 and OS 4.5

Advertisement

I have the Blackberry 8820. Its my favorite phone so far. I like the keyboard and how it runs. I have a couple of pluses and negatives about this phone. One is that its a Blackberry, second it has Wi-fi and GPS. Its my favorite phone also due to the fact of it having VAD. I use it when driving and it works great. I upgraded to the new OS 4.5 and it ran slugish. I know since I have ATT that it will not work so great. It runs slow and gives me errors. I am wondering though since I downloaded the 4.5 for a Rogers phone, Will that be enough cause for it to run so bad ? I mean they are all blackberries. Blackberry though has some models that I prefer on other networks. My wife has a 8320 Curve that I unlocked for ATT. IT runs way better than my Curve 8310 when I had it. Well I was just wondeing if anyone else had a similar issue. Also if they would recomend I try another companies OS. Thanks

bigmarv no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Optional
    hey chuckymafia I would suggest it might be the OS you have, because I have 4.5 on my AT&T 8820 and it runs pretty much flawless. Speed and all. Only issue I have is I no longer run Opera mini unless I"m connected to WiFi, but that is no biggie for me.

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    yea when i had 4.5 it ran flawless i would suggest using east asia 4.5
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

Okey

I am downloading East asia right now and will see if there is a difference

Ok

I did the upgrade from East Asia and so far everything is good. I had a bit or an error with Blackberry maps buts it is resolved now. I should now try and see if it works flawless. It should though but my testing continues. Thanks for the people who have helped me in this journey.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarv View Post
    hey chuckymafia I would suggest it might be the OS you have, because I have 4.5 on my AT&T 8820 and it runs pretty much flawless. Speed and all. Only issue I have is I no longer run Opera mini unless I"m connected to WiFi, but that is no biggie for me.
    I agree. I am also running 4.5 on my 8820 and it runs flawlessly.

p8ntballa no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have 4.5 on mine (french I believe) and opera mini runs fine

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

when i had east asia 4.5 it ran flawlessly as well
    **There are 2 types of people in this world: those who use the search bar and those who do not**

No and no

I did the Asia OS and it works good for a phone. I tried to change settings under Browser and it kept reverting after saving. I then load a program and when the phone reboots all my hidden service books are back. Icons are out of order and scrambled. I try to run a simple video and my phone reboots. I think that this is why AT&T hasn't come up with a new OS yet. I am reverting to the old and most recent AT&T OS.

guruleenyc no está en línea Stack level 2
    mmmm, I have been pondering pulling the trigger on 4.5 for my ATT 8820.....but chuckymafia prior post makes me nervous....

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    I dl'ed the vodaphone East Asia 4.5 on my unlocked ATT 8820, and it runs fine on T-Mobile. The only issues I had were with the browser, I only had a choice between t-zones and wi-fi, but it turns out that was due to an old IT policy on the unit from its prior owner. I replaced the policy with one I found on another thread here, and it's worked fine ever since.
    I say do it!

guruleenyc no está en línea Stack level 2
    What do you feel are the key benefits of 4.5 over 4.2....?

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    The issues that caught my attention are the browser is faster- I did notice the difference- the ability to view emails in html, the ability to make personal voice notes and save them to the media card, which I had always wanted to be able to do but wasn't able to before and it really seemed like a no-brainer to me, and of course, being able to watch flash clips on youtube. Also, this is kind of obscure but if you've ever had to remove an IT policy, you'll notice the firewall will still be permanently enabled, and with 4.5 and jl_cmdr, you can reset it and regain control over the firewall. Red lock- GONE! I'm sure there are other enhancements, but those are the ones that come to mind right away.

Quote Originally Posted by guruleenyc View Post
    What do you feel are the key benefits of 4.5 over 4.2....?

its more personal opinion than anything what you value the most. The phone basically runs the same, one feature that has been added is a new voice note feature that lets you record notes to self, but they have a program for 4.2 that does the same thing and it even types out what you said. i had no problems switching to 4.5 i reverted back simply because an app that i use quite often isnt available for 4.5 yet