I now have a fairly specific dilemma, but good answers may be useful to others: ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Migrating to 8100 then to 8800 - issues?

Advertisement

I now have a fairly specific dilemma, but good answers may be useful to others: T-Mobile is going to send me a Pearl to use for two weeks until I can get an 8800. My question is:
    • will there be issues in migrating from an 8100 to an 8800?
    I have to migrate from currently syncing with a Palm using MissingSync (yes, Mac), and expect some issues to arise in that migration. Now I may have to migrate first to the Pearl, then to the 8800. I'm hoping that if I migrate to the Pearl, that when I finally move to the 8800 it will be very smooth. • Is this a bad assumption?

For this discussion/query, just assume I will move to the 8800. I'm not interested in debating in this thread whether choosing the Pearl/8100 or 8800 is better. Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

DPSkiman no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    4 models
    You shold not have an issue converting as long as you use the latest desktop manager. Cool device swap wizard that works great. Also, why wait? I got my 8800 from Cingular 2 weeks ago.

Re: Migrating to 8100 then to 8800 - issues?

Thanks DPS. I hope it does go smoothly. Unfortunately, with a Mac, I won't even have Desktop Manager, so that will be challenge; I'm guessing the "Device swap wizard" is not an option either. I hope PocketMac or MissingSync are up to the challenge.

But instead of asking everyone to address my additional Mac-based challenge, I'm just wondering if an 8100 to 8800 migration is more generally riddled with difficulty. For example, are there device OS differences/issues that could cause problems with my emails, contact or calendar data? Does BIS care? etc. I dunno.

To answer your other question: I'm in the UK, not the USA. Vod had 8800 3-4 weeks ago, Orange and O2 are now getting them, but T-Mobile UK won't have them until 2 April apparently. Since T-Mobile UK has the only unlimited data plan... they're my choice.

soarin no está en línea Stack level 2

The keyboard on the 8800 is my only problem,I'm going back to the pearl~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I officially went from 8100 to a 8800 and its a piece of cake. With the password keeper you will have to use your old password from the 8100 at first. I'm waiting for the unlock code but as soon as I do u will give feed back
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for sharing your input & thoughts. I am interested in how you progress, too. I've been seriously considering using "Splash ID" on BB as it has worked very well for me in the past (on Palm) and does backups and sync to the desktop. Hopefully it works well with BB, too, unless you suggest I use Password Keeper instead. I don't understand why you'd have to use an old password from your PK app on your 8100 or what the unlock has to do with it, though.

StatikBB no está en línea Stack level 2

I am on T-Mobile US and am proud to report that switching from the 8100 to the 8800 was not a problem at all. I'm not a mac user but I believe that I have read somewhere on the forums about a program that will sync with the mac. If I come across the thread again I will post the link in this forum for you.
    -Statik-
    T-Mobile RSR
    8100 Pearl