hi all, as you can see i am new here. just purchased my first blackberry ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

kwame no está en línea Stack level 2

micro sd help (not recognised)

Advertisement

hi all,

as you can see i am new here. just purchased my first blackberry and pretty happy with it. got rid of my stanadard wap browser and installed opera mini and google maps and blackberry maps and all work a treat.

anyways my problem is with my newly purchased Sandisk micro sd card. problem being is it is not recognised or is it!? when i attach via adapter to my pc i get the active light and 4 drive letters ( as it is a mulit card reader) however when i click any of the drives it says insert disk.

i also have a camera that takes Sandisk compact flash and this works no problem. first time every time.

also when i place micro sd in my 8800 tells me there is no media card in device.

any ideas on what other check i might run, before i look to send it back. slightly confused as i see many other reports on here of people saying there Sandisk micro card works a treat.

thanks in advance.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: micro sd help (not recognised)

kwame - what size sd card did you purchase? did you try to take it out and put it back in again to see if the phone recognized it?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Insert the SD card into your BlackBerry. Then go to Options --> Advanced Options --> Media Card. Hit the Menu button and select Format Card. If asked if you only want to use Mass Storage Mode, say NO. Mass Storage Mode will still be available. In the Media Card options, you can set Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected to Prompt (or whatever you want). When in Mass Storage Mode, the SD card will appear as a drive when you connect your BB using a USB cable (although it's REALLY SLOW). When in this mode you will NOT be able to access anything on the SD card from your BlackBerry. If you set to Prompt, you can select NO when asked if you want to use Mass Storage Mode.
    JerryD

sorry might of helped if i mentioned that bit - doh! 2gb

still no joy but thanks for your help guys. will call into my local mobile store tomorrow and see if they can help.

one thing i have just noticed is whenever i stick the 2gb sandisk micro sd card in my card reader via the adapter it gets very warm, even after only a minute or two in it. my 2gb sandisk compact flash card does not do this. could this indicate a fault maybe? clutching at straws i know....

me again. after being on hold for an age at Orange they said they could not help and gave me the number for Blackberry UK. just been informed by Blackberry UK that the 8800 will only work with micro sd card upto 512kb. this prompted me to do a web search as i thought this can't be right, and hey presto mymemory dot co dot uk tells me it does support 3gb no problem.

so my network provider were usless in giving me help and the chap at Blackberry was talking porkies.

oh and btw the card works in a friends Nokia 6085 no problem first time, this leads me to believe the sd card contact is faulty on my handset. however neither Orange or Blackberry seem to want to take responsibility.

any thoughts on how i should progress this?

thanks in advance.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I wonder if its like the tmo first firmware it would only recognize a 1 gig stick until a new firmware came out and it then would recognize the 2 gig. First I would see what firmware your running and next if its not up to date then i would update your firmware just to see if that helps.

sorry i ment 2gb in above post.

hey fritter thanks for that. how would i go about checking my firmware? and if not upto date how would i go about updating it? thanks.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

find options icon then scroll til you find about and click that and there it should tell you what firmware you have

sorry about delay. got caught up with some stuff.

v4.2.1.90 (platform 2.3.0.72)

that sound right for the latest?

hi all. turns out i just had a faulty card. got a new sandisk and all is fine now. :-) well i have a wee problem with video but i shall ask in the video section.

the hippie no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

that was about to be my suggestion i had that happen to me once

siciliano187 no está en línea Stack level 1

Has anyone tried the 8800 with a 4 GB memory card?? does it work?