I've read in threads on the forums where some have been getting this error. I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Info: Uncaught Exception: java.lang.ClassCastException

Advertisement

I've read in threads on the forums where some have been getting this error. I get it when trying to save a password in the phone/voicemail options.

Yesterday a BlackBerry tech walked me through completely wiping the phone and reloading it, and then reactivating on BES. Same problem.

Today, I was fortunate enough to reach someone who knew how to troubleshoot. She looked up the error, and told me it's a known issue in the BB OS, and there is currently no fix or work around. Though there is no date available, the fix will be a new software release at some point in the future.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Info: Uncaught Exception: java.lang.ClassCastException

Thanks for the info!
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

BrianFeinzimer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

yea i have a tthread on this somewhere on pinstack

PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

FYI and update on the problem.

I was having the same problem again, this time on a new device, so I insisted on and received support directly from RIM. First, a little background info....

I noticed a week or so ago that my device didn't Enterprise Activate (no date/time in Options>Advanced Options>Enterprise Activation). I did the battery pull, etc, then called Sprint Support. Noticed while I was on the phone that the activation process started, but now my voicemail password was gone from Phone>Options>Voice Mail. It had been working upto that morning.

RIM support had me wipe the device, reload the OS, etc, but the problem persisted. I was told I would be contacted by RIM support. Here is the response I received last night (information in bold has been blocked to prevent possible problems):

"Good Evening,
    We have isolated the issue which you have been experiencing. As explained previously you cannot exceed 20 characters for both the voice mail number and the password which would normally leave room for a 10 character password. If either a wait or a pause is inserted in the password section this is not the case. Currently the presence of either a wait or a pause will throw the java error. This has however been resolved in future revisions of handheld code. if you have any further questions please feel free to let me know.

Thank You,

RIM Employee Name
    Intermediate
    BPTS - Handheld and Desktop Escalations
    Research In Motion, Limited
    Tel: 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx x xxxxx
    Email: xxxxxxxxxx@rim.com
    Web: www.BlackBerry.com"

In the Voice mail options under phone, I have my voicemail phone number as xxxxxxxxxx (10 characters), and my password as xxxxx (5 characters). Given the scenario described above, I should be ok. I replied and asked about my exact circumstances fitting the description above. I'll reply again if anything useful comes up.

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3

Well, I have only 4 characters in the number and 5 in the password and still have issues with last firmware (Asian one). The problem now isn't the device, that seems to work properly with the updated code, but it doesn't let me backup the data with Desktop Manager when I have those values set. It gives an error while backing up "Phone Options" database.

PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

I just found a work around by searching through the forums.

In the phone options, I deleted the phone number for voicemail.

I created a new entry in my address book called "VoiceMail". I entered the number as 803xxxxxxxppxxxxx#, where p = pause, or "n" on the 8830, and # is the pound sign, which Sprint wants at the end of your password so the system knows you're done entering digits.

From the phone I selected "View Speed Dial List" from the menu, and deleted the entry associated with the "w" key (defaults to voicemail on most devices). After saving the change, I held and pressed the "w" key (number 1, also). A popup asked if I wanted to assign a speed dial to the key. I answered yes, then selected "VoiceMail" from my address book.

Now, I get the same effect as entering a voicemail number and password number into the Phone>Options>Voice Mail fields. My phone dials my voice mail number, waits 5 seconds, dials the voice mail password and the # sign, and then I can use my voice mail as I normally would.

Hope this helps some others as well.
    Last edited by ma077146; 11-02-2007 at 12:40 PM.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'm getting a java error too -- always in bbm. Which results (directly after the error) in all bbm convos showing up in message app twice. Very odd. Happens at min once a day. Anyone else? Always in bbm during a convo.

Ma -- did RIM isolate your issue with a specific device? Or OS?

PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Cherri, both of the devices I've had the problem on are 8830's from Sprint. I had my original replaced with a refurbed unit a few weeks ago. Originally, I could set/use the voicemail password on both, and then after some whacky incident involving a hard reset, the problem developed.

Both had the original Sprint OS 4.2.blah.blah.123, but I also had the problem after putting the Verizon OS 4.2.blah.blah.148 on the first one. Another part of the email said the problem with pausing and exceeding twenty characters would be addressed on a future software release, which I'm sure refers to the current Sprint OS as well as any others that are affected by the problem.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

I was getting a similar error in BBM. I wiped my device and reloaded the OS. I also removed almost every 3rd party app. I went into Options- Advanced Options- Applications -(menu)Edit Default Permissions , then changing everything to allow all. I haven't had the error since I've done this so I'm not sure if its the 3rd party apps or not.

Also when I reloaded the backup of my BB, I didn't install the Trusted KeyStore or Handheld Keystore. I am not sure if this made much difference but like I said, I have not got the error since doing all this. *knocks on wood*

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Supa -- did you re-add the third party apps?

PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

I just received an email from the same employee. RIM is still planning on having a fix for the error (at least as it relates to the number of characters/spaces in a voicemail hone number/password combo) in the next software release.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post

Supa -- did you re-add the third party apps?
    Not all of them but I am still having this issue. It's in BBM only tho.

PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Last night I upgraded my OS to the latest Telus version (4.2.2.176). After everything was restored, I can program my password and the # sign back in the password field at Phone>Option>Voice Mail>Password field!

MilitaryPawn no está en línea Stack level 1
    When I turn my pearl on I get the error Uncaught exception: java.lang.ClassCastException, and it wont go away so I can't do anything else. I know I need to hard reset the phone but my problem gets worse. My USB port is broken so I can't plug it into my computer and because I can't click anything I can't set up the bluetooth to do it that way. Is there any way to reset the phone using the microSD card, like some kind of self extracting reset file or something? I couldn't find anything on Google. Please help! I don't know what else to do!?