Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by Izzyontheeyes Hi, so I finally found the BB .alx file and changed ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: If You Don't Use Voice Activated Dialing.....

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Izzyontheeyes View Post
    Hi, so I finally found the BB .alx file and changed it, then saved it under a new name (BlackBerry1.alx)
    When I try to load it through DM, it tells me no other apps were found. I searched the forums and can't find the answer. Please help!
    Because this is not what the OP said to do in his post.
    According to what I'm reading, it sounds like you renamed the entire .alx file.
    Follow the first post step by step. If not sure, just ask.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by stranjal7 View Post
    Can deleting this function in any way hinder the functionality of using a Bluetooth head set? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    No it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by markfpatrick View Post
    Does anyone know how I can manually dial telephone numbers on my 8830. Currently I am only able to dial use Voice Dialing. THANKS
    You can't dial numbers using your keyboard number pad?
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Izzyontheeyes no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl View Post
    Because this is not what the OP said to do in his post.
    According to what I'm reading, it sounds like you renamed the entire .alx file.
    Follow the first post step by step. If not sure, just ask.
    I opened the BlackBerry.alx file.
    I deleted the 4 _vod lines.
    I saved the file under a new name

is this a riddle or something? I did what the OP said.
    Or am I really missing something here?
    I know it's an old topic, but I'm new here. I looked through the forums. Help!

Oh, I'm also seeing a bunch of foreign language files. I deleted them when I first did the setup wizard. Can anyone point me to the threads that tell you how to do this? I saw a bunch of stuff for the Pearl, but not for the 8830. I don't want to screw up my phone.
    Last edited by Izzyontheeyes; 02-12-2008 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Clarification

PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by Izzyontheeyes View Post
    I opened the BlackBerry.alx file.
    I deleted the 4 _vod lines.
    I saved the file under a new name

is this a riddle or something? I did what the OP said.
    Or am I really missing something here?
    I know it's an old topic, but I'm new here. I looked through the forums. Help!

Oh, I'm also seeing a bunch of foreign language files. I deleted them when I first did the setup wizard. Can anyone point me to the threads that tell you how to do this? I saw a bunch of stuff for the Pearl, but not for the 8830. I don't want to screw up my phone.
    There's your problem. You saved the file under a new name and DM isn't recognizing it.
    You don't change the file name, that stays the same which is why the OP says to make a backup file

Try renaming it back to the original file name and then run DM and see how that goes.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl View Post
    There's your problem. You saved the file under a new name and DM isn't recognizing it.
    You don't change the file name, that stays the same which is why the OP says to make a backup file

Try renaming it back to the original file name and then run DM and see how that goes.
    Heh. This is why you consult the experts
    Let me do that right now, and if it screws up, I', coming back to haunt you!

I tried saving it under the original name, and still the same.
    Maybe I'm saving in the wrong format? After I altered the file (opened with notepad), I saved it to desktop so I can find it easier. The name gave it was BlackBerry.alx
    Is the problem happening because it's a notepad file?

PIN/ID
    AoleLava

The reason for opening the file in notepad is so
    you can edit the file after deleting the .cod files and then have a backup file of the original file in case you want to revert and put the voice dialing back on.

Prior to editing the file, right click the file and copy and paste on your desktop. Rename THAT file something like BlackBerry1.alx.
    Then go back to the .alx file in notepad, delete the files that OP posted:

net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod *

then save as BlackBerry.alx

Now run the Desktop Manager and it's Application Loader.
    Just click "Next" not Add. then it should work.

When this is done, you'll take that BlackBerry1.alx file and just save it on your PC somewhere
    you will remember in case you wish to put that voice dialing back on. If you do want to put it back
    on you'll have to rename that file: BlackBerry.alx

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

I do it a slightly different way -- not that there is anything wrong with the way originally posted.

Instead of tinkering with the .alx file, I rename the actual .cod files to something else.

I go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8800-v4.2.1.101_P2.3.0.80\java\ and rename the files I want to remove from the phone, to something else, as below. Note that the "8800-v4.2etc.etc. directory might be named something else, or you may have several. Find the most recent one installed for your phone model that corresponds to your phone OS.

FROM
    net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod

TO
    net_rim_vad.cod1
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod1
    net_rim_vad_resource__en.cod1
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod1

The .alx won't be able to find the .cod files (since they are now .cod1) and remove them from the phone.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

ywolpin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    319F5313

Where & how do you find these files, and how do you open them?
    Do you use windows explorer on the desktop? (that only opens the media files.)
    or do you open it on the BB?

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610

Just open them up from your desktop and view within the JAVA file. The instructions at the top walk you right through. c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8800-v4.2.1.101_P2.3.0.80\java\

Ok, I did it again, and it still doesn't work. Also, I think I messed up the original BB.alx file, because when I opened it, it didn't have the four lines I needed to delete. Is there any way to get a copy of the original file?

And I know for a fact this didn't work, because I still have the voice dialing icon on my BB and it works...
    I guess it's not meant to be. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've followed everyone's instructions.

Hardwaregeek no está en línea Stack level 1
    I do it a slightly different way -- not that there is anything wrong with the way originally posted.

Instead of tinkering with the .alx file, I rename the actual .cod files to something else.

I go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8800-v4.2.1.101_P2.3.0.80\java\ and rename the files I want to remove from the phone, to something else, as below. Note that the "8800-v4.2etc.etc. directory might be named something else, or you may have several. Find the most recent one installed for your phone model that corresponds to your phone OS.

FROM
    net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod

TO
    net_rim_vad.cod1
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod1
    net_rim_vad_resource__en.cod1
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod1

The .alx won't be able to find the .cod files (since they are now .cod1) and remove them from the phone.
    That procedure definitely works but if you just create a new folder inside c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8800-v4.2.1.101_P2.3.0.80\java\ I called it Disabled Modules then just drag and drop the .cod files you don't want to have loaded anymore into this folder. If you decide you want the files/functionality again just drag and drop them back into the original folder and run the app loader again. Voila everything works again.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwaregeek View Post
    That procedure definitely works but if you just create a new folder inside c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8800-v4.2.1.101_P2.3.0.80\java\ I called it Disabled Modules then just drag and drop the .cod files you don't want to have loaded anymore into this folder. If you decide you want the files/functionality again just drag and drop them back into the original folder and run the app loader again. Voila everything works again.
    Best idea I've seen so far.

pinpinpin no está en línea Stack level 1
    Can I get a path to the file to modify for Pearl 8100?
    I couldn't find the files discribed above in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion?
    thank you

visortgw no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpinpin View Post
    Can I get a path to the file to modify for Pearl 8100?
    I couldn't find the files discribed above in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion?
    thank you
    It all depends on where the RIM Desktop Manager application was installed -- just use the Windows search tool to find "Research in Motion".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast