Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have seen lots of threads asking how to get BB Maps installed, and I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3

How to get BB Maps on your 8800

Advertisement

I have seen lots of threads asking how to get BB Maps installed, and I thought I'd offer my assistance to what I did:

First, perform a backup of your device, then close Desktop Manager.

Second, install the Blackberry 8800 operating system on your PC. I'm using v4.2.1.73 from O2 on my Cingular branded 8800. It can be downloaded here: http://www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/8800software.asp

Next, locate and delete the Vendor.xml file. It will most likely be found at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Next find your LBS.alx file, it should be at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.2.1.73_P2.3.0.54

Rename the LBS.alx to something like LBS.alx.old. Then place the modified LBS.alx attached here into that folder.

Now if you want to unlock all vendor themes while you're at it... Find the blackberry.alx in the same folder and rename it to balckberry.alx.old. Now place the modified balckberry.alx attached here into that folder.

Now startup Desktop Manager and connect your 8800. You should be prompted to upgrade. It will then bring up the App Loader. Go through the list and make sure BB Maps is checked. You can also uncheck any languages you don't use to free up some room on your device also. Finish this process and when it's done, you should have BB Maps v1.1.27 installed on your 8800.

****Disclaimer - Use at your own risk. This worked for me on my 8800, but I will not guarantee it will work for you. Do not attempt this if you do not know what you are doing, and do not use these modified .alx files with OS v4.2.1.72****
    Attached Files Attached Files

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Re: How to get BB Maps on your 8800

Very nice walkthrough!
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks Kasperapd. Very nice!

jutlak no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Re: How to get BB Maps on your 8800

The walkthrough is brilliant and everything was spoton, however, I have managed to find satellites when i did a refresh GPS but when I goto into Maps (icon) I get diagonal lines with Searching for satellites and eventually comes up with "unable to acquire GPS lock".

I have searched and others say that initially it can be take time to lock onto a satellite, but it seens to be taking along long time and Iam not sure what else to try apartfrom retrying ....

any ideas ?

It does take awhile to initially lock onto a satellite. Just to make sure, do you have a blackberry data plan? If so, are you able to manually search for addresses using BB Maps?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

The data plan is irrelevant for acquiring the GPS lock. However, it is relevant for downloading maps. I've found BB maps to be nowhere near Telenav in terms of performance even using the same hardware. BBM frequently doesn't update for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    The data plan is irrelevant for acquiring the GPS lock. However, it is relevant for downloading maps. I've found BB maps to be nowhere near Telenav in terms of performance even using the same hardware. BBM frequently doesn't update for some reason.
    I agree, that's why I was asking about the data. I'm sure TeleNav is faster, and it does appear to be a better program, but for people like me who only use the GPS every now and then, it's just not worth the money.

pdqgp no está en línea Stack level 2

Perfect!! Now that's what I'm talking about....great wright up and perfect solution!

Thank you very much my friend! I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I will keep you posted.

Tim

WizeGi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249ed774

This is great ... Thank You very much

I am doing it as I type.

Note: It does take it a while once it gets to Load JVM and System Software.

WizeGi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249ed774

Just played w/ BBMaps .. BADASS!!!

If it only did audio turn by turn.

Worked perfectly!!

Thanks again

sads25 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by kasperapd
    I have seen lots of threads asking how to get BB Maps installed, and I thought I'd offer my assistance to what I did:

First, perform a backup of your device, then close Desktop Manager.

Second, install the Blackberry 8800 operating system on your PC. I'm using v4.2.1.73 from O2 on my Cingular branded 8800. It can be downloaded here
    Next, locate and delete the Vendor.xml file. It will most likely be found at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Next find your LBS.alx file, it should be at:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.2.1.73_P2.3.0.54

Rename the LBS.alx to something like LBS.alx.old. Then place the modified LBS.alx attached here into that folder.

Now if you want to unlock all vendor themes while you're at it... Find the blackberry.alx in the same folder and rename it to balckberry.alx.old. Now place the modified balckberry.alx attached here into that folder.

Now startup Desktop Manager and connect your 8800. You should be prompted to upgrade. It will then bring up the App Loader. Go through the list and make sure BB Maps is checked. You can also uncheck any languages you don't use to free up some room on your device also. Finish this process and when it's done, you should have BB Maps v1.1.27 installed on your 8800.

****Disclaimer - Use at your own risk. This worked for me on my 8800, but I will not guarantee it will work for you. Do not attempt this if you do not know what you are doing, and do not use these modified .alx files with OS v4.2.1.72****

Thank you very much for the extremely clear instructions/suggestion.

I have updated many operating systems on smartphones/handhelds before but never with a Blackberry. What, if any, "risk" is there if you do this? Is there any possible warranty problem with Cingular? Thank you very much

The only problem you may have from Cingular is if you call for Tech support, they'll probably tell you that is not a supported OS for their device. You can do the same thing with their OS if you want, you'll just have to modify the files yourself.

sads25 no está en línea Stack level 1

The only problem you may have from Cingular is if you call for Tech support, they'll probably tell you that is not a supported OS for their device. You can do the same thing with their OS if you want, you'll just have to modify the files yourself.
    Thank you.

Can you please advise as to what to do if i want to modify the Cingular OS files?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

I agree, that's why I was asking about the data. I'm sure TeleNav is faster, and it does appear to be a better program, but for people like me who only use the GPS every now and then, it's just not worth the money.
    Try MapQuest Navigator. It's free and offers audio prompts though it can't announce street names. It's not officially released for the 8800 but I'm running the Sprint 8703e's version just fine on my 8800. It's also significantly better than BBM.

Quote Originally Posted by sads25
    Can you please advise as to what to do if i want to modify the Cingular OS files?
    I've never seen a write up for the ALX files. They're just text files. Keep a backup of the original and reload the original if anything goes wrong...
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-22-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Flyer007 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2039DDB1

Worked great on my new Cingular 8800. Just took forever to restart at first. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast