With AT&T? how crippled is the GPS function to where I have to use telenav, ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

How crippled is the GPS function in an 8800

Advertisement

With AT&T? how crippled is the GPS function to where I have to use telenav, what I am trying to say is if I down load like BB Maps or any other program that mite be FREE, is the GPS in the 8800 from AT&T going to show me like a "YOU ARE HERE" or Click on Find Me and it shows you ? I know VZW's is crippled big time and your more or less better buying a GPS puck or paying for there VZ Navigator when ever that comes out.

Thanks to all with the answer.

Spamdumpster no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2423c9c5

Re: How crippled is the GPS function in an 8800

GPS on the 880 is not crippled at all. You can download telenav, infospace findit, install blackberry maps, or any other program that supports internal (i.e., not bluetooth GPS) and they will work.

navenik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2097EC9E

GarthB,
    Just to piggyback on what Spamd said....Check out the free maps at Google Maps and Yahoo!Go. They work fine with the GPS in the BB8800. Yes! The maps render as you travel along, pinpointing your position and direction as you travel. The GPS functionality in the 8800 was one of the main reason that I jumped the VZN ship for ATT...No voice prompt though... Good luck..

Navenik...

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by navenik
    GarthB,
    Just to piggyback on what Spamd said....Check out the free maps at Google Maps and Yahoo!Go. They work fine with the GPS in the BB8800. Yes! The maps render as you travel along, pinpointing your position and direction as you travel. The GPS functionality in the 8800 was one of the main reason that I jumped the VZN ship for ATT...No voice prompt though... Good luck..

Navenik...
    Since you left VZW and are with AT&T, can you tell me what you think of the service, being both Voice and Data connection, call quality and such. Verizon likes to cripple things from my understanding.

Once again thank you to all that reply

amoroso511 no está en línea Stack level 3

Garth Hi
    Maps from BB and Google and Yahoo and all the free stuff is ok if you do not need to use them kind of professionally and rely on them. The GPS inside the 8800 is marvellous but if you are serious in using the maps and do want to find places or destinations seriously then I would suggest to opt for softwares like Televan and Wayfinder who talk to you too and have been written with the users in mind and are user friendly also. Of course there is a vast choice ahead of you but do a little window shopping and ask the guys on Blackberry forums for more guidance. They are all wonder kids and knowledgeable.
    All the best.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by garthbrooks
    With AT&T? how crippled is the GPS function to where I have to use telenav, what I am trying to say is if I down load like BB Maps or any other program that mite be FREE, is the GPS in the 8800 from AT&T going to show me like a "YOU ARE HERE" or Click on Find Me and it shows you ?
    As others have already said, it's not crippled at all. You can't load BB Maps without modifying LBS.alx but that's not crippled by any means. BB Maps IMO is one of the worst GPS-enabled apps out there anyway. You can download and use any GPS app that will run on the 8800.

Quote Originally Posted by garthbrooks
    Since you left VZW and are with AT&T, can you tell me what you think of the service, being both Voice and Data connection, call quality and such. Verizon likes to cripple things from my understanding.
    Coverage varies by location. Unless the person you're talking to is in the same city as you it's pretty meaningless to discuss.

photomike no está en línea Stack level 1

used the Nav4all freeware today on the 8800 and it worked like a charm.

Cheers,
    Mike