Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all I received a Blackberry 8800 as a present. it was purchased in the ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

flipBerry no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F27E4D

Help with changing carrier and IMEI

Advertisement

Hi all

I received a Blackberry 8800 as a present. it was purchased in the U.S and made for Cingular. I got the phone unlocked and never had a data plan with Cingular since I don't live in the U.S.

I subscribe to a local carrier a few days ago (Indosat - Indonesia) and got the phone activated OK. I can receive SMS and calls but no data.

The problem seems to be either the IMEI or the PIN. The IMEI and the PIN will work on mycingular.blackberry.com but is rejected on Indosat's server. My new carrier gave me a new IMEI but inserting that along with the PIN into Indosat's BIS Create New Account Window did not work nor can I change my current IMEI on the phone.

Any suggestions? Can anyone help?

PS I checked whether everything was unlocked and from typing MEPD everything in Personalization section is disabled. Is this a correct indicator for an unlocked phone?
    Last edited by flipBerry; 09-28-2007 at 05:53 AM.

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Help with changing carrier and IMEI

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yeah, it seems like its unlocked but cingular never released the pin from the sounds of it. I don't know to much about the unlocking stuff$ but I think that's what might have happend

PIN/ID
    23F27E4D

jkai2188 Many thanks for the response.

Assuming Cingular never released the PIN, is it possible to get my current carrier to contact RIM and have them relase it? I spoke to an AT&T customer rep yesterday and she told me she couldn't help. Tried online tech support as well and no go as I don't have (never have) a wireless account with them.

Other suggestions and directions are also welcome.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if that is the case and cingular never released the pin its literally a loss, at least from what I was told, if it didn't get done when the phone was unlocked your kinda screwed. But there might be a way... Let me check

PIN/ID
    23F27E4D

ouch...it will be a loss, I'm beginning to love my Blackberry.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions, why is it pretty much a loss if they never got it done when the phone was unlocked?

And if I can provide proof that it was purchased outright in the first place will there be hope of assistance? Or is it more that Cingular (AT&T) relinquished themselves from any further responsibilities once they've released the PIN, hence it will be an unworthwhile effort to give further assistance?

Just wanting to know whether the reasons are more commercial rather than technical

Let me know jkai2188...again I appreciate the replies so far.

Thanks
    Last edited by flipBerry; 09-28-2007 at 11:27 AM.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~its pretty much cingular or whomever you unlocked the phone through didn't release it, but I think...I think they have to do it all at the same time. I'm trying to see if I can get an answer, because I'm not exactly positive

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I would think a knowledgable ATT rep would be able to get the pin released. It looks like someone went as far as to register the pin, so there should be some record of it at ATT, even if the phone was unlocked.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yeah, you might be right. But the pins are locked as soon as they go into the system at att because they report them so their users can use their internet. But like I said you might be right

PIN/ID
    23F27E4D

DCookSta & jkai2188

Thanks for the responses...my berry still have hope then
    Will try your suggestion DCookSta...and (fingers crossed) all will be fine. I assumed much the same as you thought, there should be some records for the unit.

Actually there are 10 Berries that will need the same procedure done, all purchased at the same time in NYC (5 unit of 8800 & 5 Unit of Pearls) and if they all have no hopes then we're all left with duds. Dang...not a great thought...:-(

Quote from another thread:

The PIN is only required to log into your carriers Blackberry configuration site and has nothing to do with your internet access. Most likely your ex-Cingular phone is still configured to access the internet via Cingular settings. Research your new carriers web site for their settings or call their support.

heres another one for you:

If the PIN is still registered to AT&T, or if the PIN Account is still in the original owner's name, then your current carrier will not be able to register a BIS account to your device.

If its only the PIN still held by AT&T, a quick call to customer care should do it. If its still in the original owner's name, he will need to make the call.
    Bold - 5.0.0.93 / 8310 - 4.5.0.81 ---- AT&T
    8330 - 4.5.0.77 ---- Sprint

Blackberry's are a lifestyle

jeff.kaiser88@yahoo.com

PIN/ID
    23F27E4D

jkai2188 Thanks again for the responses.

So it's the PIN instead of the IMEI that actually needs to be de-registered from AT&T?. Got it! In the meantime I acquired the email of the Cingular techie who helped did the SIM unlock for all the phones, 'shot' him an email and hopefully he'll reply on Monday.

No wonder the Customer support lady was a little puzzled as to why i wanted my IMEI released....heheh silly me.
    Thanks.

PS: on a completely different subject, I'm really interested in purchasing a Curve, is there a purchaseable "un-branded" Curve or are RIM's product only purchaseable through carriers? I'm curious as I'd like to avoid this kind of hassle next time. Or is it perhaps better to have the Berries PIN registered to a carrier (hence purchasing from a carrier) for security reasons until I find another carrier and go through the process of de-registering and re-registering? Sorry a noob question, the 8800 is my first BB.
    Last edited by flipBerry; 09-29-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Gusndr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2514177A

Hi, ialso got a cingular bb8800 to one of my friends in barzil, we faced the same problem that you have, but we were lucky to make it work, I don't know if you did the same steps but we didn't need to change the imei all I did is that :
    1- I made a hard reset.
    2- I changed the tcp settings from cingular provider to our local provider, it is needed to access the internet.
    3- registered the bb on the wireless network.
    And we were able to activate it. Do these steps and be sure that you get the right settings for the tcp settings for you provider.
    By the way I made this also for my bb that I bought from csl hong kong and it worked also.
    Hope it will do for you also.

PIN/ID
    23F27E4D

Hi Gusndr

Thanks for the response, I did just try your method but no luck, perhaps there is a misunderstanding in the way I do hard reset. Do you do your hard reset by pulling the battery out or any other method?

Thanks again

Gusndr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2514177A

Hard reset is not done by taking off the battery, go to options>security options>general settings then you choose wipe command from the menu. it will ask you to type the word blackberry to confirm the command.

but as i said before, its important to to configure your BB with the settings of your provider and re-register BB on wireless network after the wipe, because the settings of the TCP will be the cingular settings.
    through these steps :
    - options > advanced options> TCP ( here you delete the cingular settings and use your provider)
    - options > advanced options > host routing table > register now
    directly you will receive message saying that your BB is registered on the wirless network.
    Last edited by Gusndr; 10-01-2007 at 12:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast