Hi Guys I loaded on an OS upgrade that wasn't actually from my service provider, ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Thumbs down Help OS load has now frozen my BB!

Advertisement

Hi Guys I loaded on an OS upgrade that wasn't actually from my service provider, I've done a backup via DM and now I just want to restore my device. I've tried a battery pull to reset it twice now and all it does is freeze up as soon as the security software verifies itself.

Can someone help me here?? Thanx!

Edit: I can't received any messages or calls either- just tried calling myself and saw the transmission arrows show up but the screen didn't change and pressing the green call button didn't pick up the call.
    Last edited by ted; 05-29-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

PIN/ID
    LESS
    did you delete the vendor.xml file. That may be your issue you have.

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    How would I access that file? If it was on there I wouldn't have, but now I literally can't access anything on the Device at all. Is there a way to, for lack of a better term, hack into it to either delete the file or possibly get the device to connect to DM to restore the previous settings?
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Update: The device was frozen for about half an hour then it rebooted, verified the security software, and is now rebooting again......

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    You may need to Uninstall the updated Device Software package from your PC and then re-install the original Device Software (Download a new copy from your vendor if necessary) on the PC then Connect your BB to your PC and open Desktop Manager. Open Application loader and it should ask if you want to downgrade, accept it.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Thanks Rcbjr! I'll give that a try Mate!

Edit/Update: so far so good......it's connected. I'll keep you guys posted!

And it's underway! Thanx SOOOOOO much Guys! I just added to both your trust levels as well! Thanx again!

:cry: Fatal error while updating the device software, please try again......:cry:

Any other suggestions guys? I'm going to try again anyway and see if that helps
    second loading attemp had the same result.

HOPEFUL now I'm attempting to downgrade the OS without the automatic backup and it seems to be working now.

OK if anyone else has this problem- First off DON'T be a wiseguy and download the 4.5 OS from anywhere else. And if you're dumb enough to still do that like I was then make sure you back up everything first and restore the older OS WITHOUT doing the auto backup on DM.

Thanx again to RSCStacker and Rcbjr!! Great help guys!
    Last edited by ted; 05-30-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Update

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Seperate Update: Now I just have a spinning hourglass........ It has been about 20-30 minutes now too.

THANK GOD!!!! Factory Settings restored! Jeez that was stressful!!!
    Last edited by ted; 05-30-2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Update the updated update. :)

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    If ur trying to do the 4.5 it doesn't mean your stupid...more than likely you justt got a bad OS...it happens. And the 4.5 usually takes a bit to load back up...especially after a fail like you had.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Sometimes reloading the OS can be stressful. I had to wipe my 8120 2 nights ago and about fell asleep in the middle of the process LOL
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-30-2008 at 12:52 AM.

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    lol! OK I'll correct myself that I'm not stupid for trying to load up a bad OS, but nearly bricking my BB makes me feel that way! Thanx for the support INON!

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Sometimes reloading the OS can be stressful. I had to wipe my 8120 2 nights ago and about fell asleep in the middle of the process LOL

The first time I loaded a new OS it was stressful, and then I went to load this 4.5 Beta from another forum and thought "wow this going really quickly and smoothly" and then I got some errors popping up, nothing major. But then the device would freeze and randomly reset, etc. Glad I caught it now or my phone woulda be completely stuffed for the whole weekend!

Not doing it again I can tell you!

Now I have an unread message icon on my home screen! WTF!!! It won't go away either- I've checked all my emails and my SMS/MMS Where are you you annoying little POS!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!- Edit: it was a bloody SMS that a friend sent like 2 weeks ago that was buried deep in the list! lol! I need another vacation!
    Last edited by ted; 05-30-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Update to my now probably very humorous situation! :)

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Always remember to have an ALT + key search saved in Messages to search all folders for unopened messages of all types.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Thanx Rcbjr, I'll remember that. I was definitely a bit frazzled by the prospect of my precious 8800 becoming a very stylish house brick. Lesson learnt that's for sure!

If no one minds me listed the site that I got it from (I'm sure RIM would be interested anyway) was *****. I know we're not supposed to mention other BB forums in here but if everyone is aware of the Bad OS at least then they can avoid the hassle.

Edit: Spewin! it edited it out as it was posted. Ah well- only get your apps from Pinstack! That'll keep it simple still!
    Last edited by ted; 05-30-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Clarification