Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My 2 cents here is that I think this is what happens when you're on ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Re: Help! No Blackberry Maps

Advertisement

My 2 cents here is that I think this is what happens when you're on the bleeding edge of technology. Like all of you, I'm kind of disappointed that my 8800 didn't come with an application, but it sure sounds like BB maps will use the GPS when it becomes available, which is probably going to be pretty soon.

Technically, there is SOME software (look under Settings->Advanced->GPS) though it's certainly about as minimal as it can get, giving only your latitude/longitude, not a map. Hopefully someone can help me out on this, but I was under the impression that there's at least one device (I think it's from Verizon?) that's pretty much the same thing; it's got a GPS built-in but no app to use it. You have buy an application for it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Cingular, I do think the application should have been ready at product launch, but I'm not going to go off the deep end because it's not there.

To be honest, this wasn't one of the reasons that I wanted one of these devices; I wanted it for the "other stuff" (qwerty keyboard, larger screen), the GPS was just a "gee, it's nice that it's got that" kind of thing for me. If I were purchasing a device where GPS was specifically a requirement, I probably would have held off until I heard from the "early adopters" (that'd be us!) as to whether or not the device had everything they said it did.

Again, just my 2 cents ...
    David

SRPID no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E8F71F

Telenav works great on the BB8800. Go sign up for a 30 day free trial.

---srpid

PV
    PV no está en línea Stack level 1

Agreed. Telenav is very cool (I just hope they release Telenav Traffic for the 8800 prior to June 30th - while it's still free. However, it's not easy to get set-up unless you know what you're doing.

* You need to first go to: ota.telenav.con/ota/at (replace "con" with "com") - I can't post URLs.
    * Download and install the software
    * Reboot the device (remove battery and reinstall)
    * You should recieve an SMS from Telenav with a PIN. Write this down, as you will need it for your install. It should just be the last 4 digits of you cell phone #.
    * The TeleNav icon will be on your main screen. Just click it and follow the prompts.
    * Hint - You need to view the settings and save. To save, hit your menu key and select save.

tedmundson no está en línea Stack level 1

can someone send me the link for blackberry maps.... Thanks

nimocone no está en línea Stack level 3

I downloaded google maps from the thread titled "will gps be a separate fee?" It should be about the 15th post down in red. I typed in the link exactly and it downloaded with no problems. It's working great on my 8800... Sorry I couldn't post a direct link, not allowed to with my posting level.

controlbb no está en línea Stack level 1

Bbmaps is out there to download. I was able to get the link from a pinstack member. The software worked fine and I was able to get gps working on it right away. Pinstack.com is a great resource.

controlbb no está en línea Stack level 1

PV how did you sign up for the pin for Telenav?

PV
    PV no está en línea Stack level 1

I signed up for Telenav at the store, but you can do it on-line as well.

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987

You can find BB maps the latest version although it doesn't have POI yet. There's a thread that tells you how to get LBS.alx onto your BB. If ypu can't find it you can email me! It's not a simple process but it's a way to get BB maps on your 8800. Good luck

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreeze
    That would be like my pearl having the camera hardware but no software to drive it?
    That's a poor analogy. You can download GPS apps (at least several choices) for the Blackberry. AFAIK you can't for the camera.

Granted, Cingular should have made sure that the 8800's shipped with BBmaps and Telenav installed and working.

bobreiter no está en línea Stack level 1

i got the 8800 without maps. If you want the real deal, pay (or expense) telenav- they will allow you to install it over the air. $9.95/ month- includes unlimited VOICE ASSIST turn by turn directions, hooked into the gps.. Great when you are out of town and driving

Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    That's a poor analogy. You can download GPS apps (at least several choices) for the Blackberry. AFAIK you can't for the camera.

Granted, Cingular should have made sure that the 8800's shipped with BBmaps and Telenav installed and working.
    Sorry you didn't like my analogy. But it did get the point across. I still am dumbfounded that RIM would release a product that is only half complete. If I would have waited for the 8800 instead of going with the 8100 I would be steaming mad.

again, just my opinion.

BRZ

gonshoot no está en línea Stack level 1

Its not just that its not there, when I purchased my 8800 the gps was THE reason I did not hold off for the iPhone, I was told BBMaps was not on it but could be downloaded from the bb site..

The 8800 does not work AS ADVERTISED! In this litigious society I cant believe they are getting away with such blatant misrepresentation of their products functionality.

And they are not even apologizing and providing a delivery date..

Perhaps it will take months to arrive..

If the iPhone comes out before BBMaps for the 8800 I am going to demand a swap.

cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2

http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/maps.jad

works fine for me on the 8800 w/ gps. gl.

evilhomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by cookcrack
    http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/maps.jad

works fine for me on the 8800 w/ gps. gl.
    Thanks for the link Brotherman! I use Telenav but it's nice to have a freebie backup. It downloaded and ran great on my 8800.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. -Homer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast