Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello, fellow stackers, I just replaced my old 8730e with 8830 (verizon), and now I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

juheenuna no está en línea Stack level 1

Help! Cannot Read Korean anymore

Advertisement

Hello, fellow stackers,

I just replaced my old 8730e with 8830 (verizon), and now I cannot read Korean anymore. I tried to set Encoding to EUC-KR and it did not work.

Does anyone know how I can get my Korean back? I know I can't type Korean, but at least, reading Korean newspaper, and websites is my favorite thing to do when I have a long wait for anything.

Please help me.

Thank you!

Juhee

ncc1701p no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask_me:)

Re: Help! Cannot Read Korean anymore

I think the best way to get this working is you HAVE to install the chinese fonts.. then install the korean fonts. Its how I had to do it on my 8830 in order to read Japanese.. installed chinese, then japanese.. then I can read Japanese.. Hope this helps.

How can I install Chinese and Korean fonts? With my 8703e, I didn't have to do this. Did you have to do it with your old BB? Any advice would be greatly appreicated.

jortextcu no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242875a8

Try
    Options> language> input language

Thanks, jortextcu.

It only gives English, French or Spanish as input language options. I am not looking for input capability... Just the ability to read Korean....which I used to do with my 8703e without any problems.

Thanks,

Juhee

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

Install Desktop Manager on your computer then download the device firmware files from Verizon's web site (http://www.vzam.net/blackberry) for both the 8830 and the 8703 and install them both on your computer. Perform an update on your 8830 and manually point to the location of the 8703 firmware and you'll see Korean fonts as one item to install. Select it and complete the 8830 upgrade and you will have added Korean to your BB. I've done this numerous times and it works great.

One caveat: You cannot type in Korean, only read it.

Dave

I downloaded both, and installed both. Then, when I connected the Blackberry, it asked me whether or not I would like to update it, to which I answered yes.

However, I am not sure how to point the blackberry to 8703 firmware...? Would you please kindly point me to the right direction?

Thank you so much!!!

Juhee

kalex80 no está en línea Stack level 1

i can send you the files needed

jbae no está en línea Stack level 1

Could you send me the files that are needed too? thanks very much in advance.

Please send it to me, I would truly appreciate it. I need some specific instructions, along with the file. I truly truly appreciate your generous offer!!!

juhee.williamson@gmail.com.

Juhee

leej00 no está en línea Stack level 1

i am also having trouble trying to get this to read korean.
    can anybody please send me the files too?

leej00@hotmail.com

thank you

oolimee no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey,

Can you also email me the file?

errorchoi@yahoo.com

Thanks!

ncc1701p no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask_me:)

I don't read korean on my unit but I do read Japanese. I had to reinstall my OS and I lost my ability to read Japanese.. But have you guys downloaded
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...4D2BB094734EB9

This is the Downloading BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.321 (Chinese)

When I uncompressed it.. I saw a Japanese.alx, Japanese.alx, Chinese.alx in the uncompressed directory of

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-v4.2.1.108_P2.3.0.85

Use desktop manager to just install your asian language of choice and install and you might be able to read korean. Japanes worked for me which I was very relieved.. It doesnt show up in the options>Languages but If I were to receive Japanese emails I can read them as well as surf Japanese websites.

Good luck!

ncc1710p, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!! Gosh, I don't know how I can thank you enough!!!! I had to return the 8830 to verizon because it wouldn't read Korean. Then, when I reverted back to my old 8703e, it picked up the O/S upgrade that I had installed, which made the Korean reading capability wiped off!!!! Gosh.

Anyway, I like 8703e better than 8830 so far. At least the Verizon 8830 models are so hard to type on. The buttons are so close to each other and so sticky. I had to say bye-bye to typing while driving! Then, I went back to 8703e, and it feels like I am back home. So comfortable. The only draw back I can think of is the loss of the menu button on the front face, and the bluetooth tethering. Other than that, 8703e is for me!!!

Thanks, ncc1701p. You are God-sent!

Others who are suffering from the same pain, please see ncc1701p's help message above.

Thanks!!!!!

Juhee

oolimee no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the help!! whew~ Pinstack to the rescue!

haha and noona, good thing you ditched typing while driving! hahah but then again, that means you now type in the car with 8703!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast