Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know of a windows or Mac based software package that you can download ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

GUI interface software to edit your

Advertisement

Does anyone know of a windows or Mac based software package that you can download or buy that will enable you to connect to your BB through either USB or BT and allow you to edit your contacts and possible more?

Thanks

Garth

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: GUI interface software to edit your

You can edit contacts on your pc and sync with your BB. You have Outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    You can edit contacts on your pc and sync with your BB. You have Outlook?
    No I dont use Outlook for my email program, I use as Mac, But I figured I would ask in general because the wifes computer is a windows machine

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Do you have a Gmail account? I believe contacts sych with gmail

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

One thing you can do is download Desktop Manager and install it on your wifes PC. Then you can set op the contact sync function to export them to a character separated text file, edit that file on the PC/Mac whichever you desire, then import it back into your BB.

I'm not sure but I think there are sync programs, maybe PocketMac, for the Mac.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

BaRiMzI no está en línea Stack level 2

you can just get pocketmac and sync contacts from Mail or contacts.

kdmoyers no está en línea Stack level 1

But what if you are [1] on Windows and [2] don't use Outlook?

I really wish BB offered a no-frills PC side GUI to the PIM apps. Just something to look at the data and do keyboard-heavy editting. There actually ARE organizations that don't allow MSOffice.

Actually, what I really want is a no-gotchas full two-way sync with GMail/GCalendar. That would be the Cats Meow. Skip the PC altogether.

(yeah, I've tried gcalsync. Plenty of gotchas. Eventually gave up.)
    (the google wap xface to calendar is nice, but limited, and it doesn't actually sync with anything.)

OK, I'm done complaining now... [smile]
    -Kirby

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

There are at least 3 other PIMs the can be synced using Desktop Manager. Including Lotus Notes and ACT for those that don't want to use Outlook. Why should RIM waste resources recreating something that already exists?

Rcbjr

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There are other PIM options as Rcjbr has said. However, I'd recommend using Outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    There are other PIM options as Rcjbr has said. However, I'd recommend using Outlook.
    Well I dont use outlook, and am on a mac/apple platform, I could use the wifes windows computer but it does not seem like there is an application that will do what I am looking for at this point .

Also in reply to the post that went somewhat like "why should RIM waste there resources" Simple its called product support and obviously something the poster knows NOTHING about, or just cares abouth THEMSELF and the world that roatates around THEM .

The search goes forward and thank you to all the reply's

kdmoyers no está en línea Stack level 1

Well, should be noted that RIM *does* provide the klunky ascii inport/export process for the desperate. It actually works.

This might however be an opportunity for a 3rd party software developer. They can sometimes make a living serving a niche market the big boys ignore.

Anyway, clearly the decision to blow-off folks not using the expensive PIM packages does not seem to have hurt RIM, so I won't be expecting any help from there.

Hmmm.... Maybe if I could figure out how the sync interface works....

Kirby

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

It's not a blow-off, nor a lack of product support, which I do know a lot about, it's a conscious decision on where to allocate resources. The majority of the traditional BlackBerry customer base already uses one of the compatible "expensive" PIMs. And since you have a Mac, as stated several times you can use PocketMac to sync with your Mac. Check this thread out, Sync BlackBerry with Mac - Pocketmac.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by garthbrooks
    Well I dont use outlook, and am on a mac/apple platform, I could use the wifes windows computer but it does not seem like there is an application that will do what I am looking for at this point .
    Look into Pocketmac then.

Quote Originally Posted by garthbrooks
    Also in reply to the post that went somewhat like "why should RIM waste there resources" Simple its called product support and obviously something the poster knows NOTHING about, or just cares abouth THEMSELF and the world that roatates around THEM .
    RIM's a small company with limited resources. They're not an app developer and it's highly unlikely that they will develop their own PIM app when they offer the ability to sync with existing PIM's (though, granted, support on a Mac is pretty close to nonexistent). There's no reason for them to reinvent the wheel which IMO isn't a customer service issue. Last I checked, not every smartphone manufacturer out there produces their own PIM app so RIM's not alone in this anyway.

If you're expecting them to develop a PIM for the Mac then you're really going to be waiting for a very long time. Again, as has already been recommended several times in this thread the closest you can get to what you're looking for is Pocketmac.

Rcbjr knows plenty about BB's. Personal attacks really don't help your credibility. He's offering practical information based on RIM's history with the BB. As has already been stated, it's very unlikely that RIM will develop something like the Palm Desktop. If you don't like that it has nothing to do with ingorance or self-centeredness on rbjcr's behalf -- it's just how RIM has decided to handle things.

Email bbsuggestions@rim.com. If there's enough demand I'm sure they'll reconsider.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-25-2007 at 11:16 AM.

stewea no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    headed

Since you're using a Mac, your two options are PocketMac (available for free from RIM). Go to blackberry dot com->Support->Downloads->Desktop Software, and download PocketMac v 4.0.20. HOWEVER, note that PocketMac has not been updated in quite a while.

Option 2 (and seems to work better) is Missing Sync for BlackBerry from MarkSpace.

Both sync with Entourage (costs money) and Apple's Address Book (free). Pros and cons for either.

Check out the Server & Desktop OS->Mac & Blackberry forum below this one. Lots of answers there.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

And speaking of the Palm Desktop, when it was developed, Outlook was a new app and not the most used. PIMs were new to PCs as were PDAs. It was easier for Palm to develop their own PIM to sync than to figure out how to sync with outlook and all the other PIM packages of the day. The major paper based organizer companies, such as Daytimer, Day Runner and Franklin were developing PIMs for the PC to be able to Print out pages for the Organizers.

Palm made a decision to develop there own PIM until the all the others were sorted out.

Just a bit of history here

Rcbjr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast