Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You don’t have to be outside for the gps to work as the signal is ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

gonshoot no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: GPS on 8800 from Cingular

Advertisement

You don’t have to be outside for the gps to work as the signal is relayed through the cell towers, to test if gps is working do this..

Setting -> options -> gps.. if there is no data there hit the menu key (to the left of the ball and select refresh gps

The cell phone does not (to my knowlage) read the gps data from the satellite. That’s also why you will get no gps reading when you have no cell coverage..

gonshoot no está en línea Stack level 1

I have telenav working inside..
    one thing you need to know is that telenav requires java to be enabled in the browser app, by default java is disabled..

I am not happy paying $10 a month for something that was advertised as part of the phone so they had better get BB Maps working on the 8800 (as advertised) fast

cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by gonshoot
    You don’t have to be outside for the gps to work as the signal is relayed through the cell towers, to test if gps is working do this..

Setting -> options -> gps.. if there is no data there hit the menu key (to the left of the ball and select refresh gps

The cell phone does not (to my knowlage) read the gps data from the satellite. That’s also why you will get no gps reading when you have no cell coverage..
    Still nothing, but works outside? BBMaps doesnt work indoors but works outdoors. I don't have Telnav or Bluetooth enabled...everything works outside but not inside. Any ideas?

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Thats originally the way I thought is would work, but the majority of the posts dont seem to coincide
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3

What happens if you're on BBry Maps or even Telenav and you get a call or email, is it easily toggable (is that even a word?)

nimocone no está en línea Stack level 3

Like TCrawford my TCP and the APN is set to internet.com and the username and password fields were blank (I am on BIS btw). Would it be correct to assume I can safely change this AND there won't be extra charges incurred on my bill? At the moment I can use google maps with no problems at this current setting.

tcrawford no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by nimocone
    Like TCrawford my TCP and the APN is set to internet.com and the username and password fields were blank (I am on BIS btw). Would it be correct to assume I can safely change this AND there won't be extra charges incurred on my bill? At the moment I can use google maps with no problems at this current setting.
    FYI - my TCP setting are still internet.com and I am using both telenav and Gmaps without any issues.

I do not think this is true. It states how many satellites it is reading - mine sees 6. They wouldn't call it GPS if it were not Global Positional via Sats - they would call it tower triangulation instead.

spudit no está en línea Stack level 1

FYI all- I spent over an hour on the phone with Cingular Support and then RIM Support. Cingular does not currently support Blackberry Maps. This was not RIM's decision. It will not let you install this using USB or via a web browser with the 'Cingular' version of the Blackberry Desktop Software. You can pay $10/mos for the Telenav service, but with some configuration changes it is possible to get the Maps program working as well as some extras not included in the standard Cingular package.

I do not have the link, but there is more info in the forums about how to set this up.

Thx

Spudit

MykR0 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23dfc824

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~got my 8800 and I'm taking it apart

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

Well this is why the GPS thing wasn't very interesting to me when they said it was coming out on the 8800. Just my opinion but not worth the hassle just to see where you are. I do see some advantages if you need GPS for business but other than that...Why bother?

Just my .02 cents,

COJO 24

Quote Originally Posted by COJO 24
    Well this is why the GPS thing wasn't very interesting to me when they said it was coming out on the 8800. Just my opinion but not worth the hassle just to see where you are. I do see some advantages if you need GPS for business but other than that...Why bother?

Just my .02 cents,

COJO 24
    Well, with telenav, you can look up businesses by name or topic (services, dining, shopping, ATMs, post offices, etc.) or even gas stations by price per gallon (includes all three grades) and navigate to them (or even call them). It then provides turn by turn voice directions while you drive. Makes life a little easier when running around town or traveling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12