Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all, Finally after a few hours I'm starting to get the hang of this ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2

GPS on 8800 from Cingular

Advertisement

Hi all,

Finally after a few hours I'm starting to get the hang of this I've got my movies, mp3s, vnc, ssh, email, aim, games and even put BB maps on it! Oh it's also a cool phone lol. It even tethered easily to my laptop. I was worried about the Cingular service but so far it's better than Verizon in my area. I'll write a full review soon, just at work right now.

My question is, I can't get the GPS to work. Is this a feature I need to buy from Cingular? When I put BB maps I can get directions but it won't locate a GPS signal. I go to Options->Advanced->GPS and refresh but it finds nothing. I've tried this inside/outside.

__update:__ i do have bluetooth enabled, i dont know if that makes a difference?

Any ideas?
    Uri

GaBulldog no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: GPS on 8800 from Cingular

cookcrack:

have you tried looking on the BB web page?

http://www.blackberry8800.com/function/features/gps.jsp

It says that as long as you have a map application, such as BB Maps, you should be able to "view your current location with greater accuracy".

Have you tried running BB Maps with your BT disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by GaBulldog
    cookcrack:

have you tried looking on the BB web page?

http://www.blackberry8800.com/function/features/gps.jsp

It says that as long as you have a map application, such as BB Maps, you should be able to "view your current location with greater accuracy".

Have you tried running BB Maps with your BT disabled?
    Yes, the BB Maps application tells me it cannot connect to GPS.
    I have not tried with BT disabled...can both not function at once?

trollicus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2463D44A

I have it working through BB Maps, but have not enabled BT. I will try to enable and see if it still works.

Edit: OK well I just enabled BT, and went to my GPS options and it refreshed instantly.

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987

Well I had a very similar problem and I called Cingular support. He made me check my tcp settings to make sure they were correct(they were) then I did a battery pull. Put it back in and while he was checking something else it just started working. I personally think it was how long I spent outsides but who knows. There was a lot of cloud cover and I figured that might have something to do with it.

So 1st question. Are you outside? It sounds stupid but it's gotta be asked. How long are you trying for? Stay outside for a while. Luckily I was on the phone so the time passed quickly but I'm sure I was out there for at least 15 mins. Now it makes a connection in less than 10 seconds. Make sure BB maps is installed also. I connected with BB maps 1st with GPS just running and me on the phone.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Amahk
    Well I had a very similar problem and I called Cingular support. He made me check my tcp settings to make sure they were correct(they were) then I did a battery pull. Put it back in and while he was checking something else it just started working. I personally think it was how long I spent outsides but who knows. There was a lot of cloud cover and I figured that might have something to do with it.

So 1st question. Are you outside? It sounds stupid but it's gotta be asked. How long are you trying for? Stay outside for a while. Luckily I was on the phone so the time passed quickly but I'm sure I was out there for at least 15 mins. Now it makes a connection in less than 10 seconds. Make sure BB maps is installed also. I connected with BB maps 1st with GPS just running and me on the phone.

Hope that helps
    Okay so...
    1) What are your TCP settings
    2) I was outside for maybe 5 minutes
    3) You're saying: go outside, load BB maps, "Turn on GPS" and wait 10-15 minutes?

Uri

PIN/ID
    242B3987

Sorry I took so long to reply.
    The normal TCP settings that they have in this forum:

Cingular (March 05)
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username for APN: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password for APN: cingular1

make sure the username is in all caps too.
    What the data guy was telling me is that GPS goes through GPRS, no idea if that's true or not.

And yea stay outside a bit longer. It worked for me I guess. It's not going to work inside for the most part and here was really cloudy. Just my 2 cents I guess. I'm not absolutely sure what did it but it's working now.

Cingular (March 05)

What the data guy was telling me is that GPS goes through GPRS, no idea if that's true or not.

And yea stay outside a bit longer. It worked for me I guess. It's not going to work inside for the most part and here was really cloudy. Just my 2 cents I guess. I'm not absolutely sure what did it but it's working now.
    Thanks, I had wap.cingulargprs.com (all caps) maybe that's the problem. Also, does enabling bluetooth prevent it from working??

PIN/ID
    242B3987

nope works fine with BT for me.
    Tell me if it works for you.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

It's a shame that it's this confusing to use. AND YOU HAVE TO BE OUTSIDE? Thats going to be a huge blow to business who plan on keeping track of employees.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

tcrawford no está en línea Stack level 2

Cingular (March 05)

Sorry Amahk - I am a little confused.

Shouldn't the APN be wap.cingular.com? You didn't include the .com above.
    Also, are you saying that the username (wap@cingulargprs.com) needs to be in all caps?

I checked my TCP and the APN was set to internet.com and the username and password fields were blank (I am on corp BES btw).

It worked on my drive home, told me what road I was on and the speed. It doesn't work inside... :-(

tcrawford no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cookcrack
    It worked on my drive home, told me what road I was on and the speed. It doesn't work inside... :-(
    I got mine to work inside - I just had to rip off the roof so my BB could see the satellites.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

That's cool that it gives your current speed
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

palmtreepimp no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DBB65B

I use Telenav and it works just fine! even inside! The service is $9.99 month thru cingular and with the 8800, you dont need the extra gps reciever. i havent tried bb maps yet but will today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast