My voice dialing seems to fail intermittantly (about 50% failure rate). The screen will show ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

csfn90 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32bebfa8

Post Failure of Voice Dialing

Advertisement

My voice dialing seems to fail intermittantly (about 50% failure rate). The screen will show that voice dialing is initializing but never progresses requiring me to cancel voice dialing. Is there anyone having a similar problem? If so, how do you fix it?
    Thanks.

tomorrowneverkn no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Failure of Voice Dialing

I find if there is any ambient noise present, the voice dialling is spotty... even the radio down low can effect it.

PIN/ID
    32bebfa8

Does ambient noise effect initialization of voice dialing or just performance of the program once initialized?

PDXOR no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm no expert, but the issue is a familiar one with my 8800 (ATT). The incredibly slow initialization crops up occasionally, then seems to go away for days or weeks. I had never considered ambient noise as a a factor, but thinking back it seems to fit. I can't remember that symptom happening when I use my (noise canceling) Jawbone headset.It usually happens when I'm in the car without the headset.

Sadly, though, the slow initialization is only one part of the 8800's voice dialing problem. Mine really struggles to come up with the correct contact from my book. You'll find other users with similar problems in a couple earlier pinstack threads.

I suspect one part of my problem is the large number of contacts in my address book (about 2200). Even after initializing, it can take a fulll minute or two to come up with a result. And the correct number frequently isn't even in the list of 3 that the 8800 finds.

I have found a partial workaround. I tend to use voice dialing for only a few numbers. For each of those frequently used numbers, I have set up a separate contact card with a short, clear, one-word name, like "Home," "Greg," etc. When I VD using those names, the accuracy rate goes up from less than 20% to somewhere around 80%.

Another approach is to try voice number dialing. When I say the phone number instead of the contact's name, the VD accuracy rate gets close to 100%.

If you find a better solution, please pass it along. I love my 8800, but this is the one feature that really underperforms!

PIN/ID
    32bebfa8

Thanks for the insight.

Since background noise was mentioned as a possible issue I have concentrated on ensuring I reduce the background clutter like turning down/off the car radio when dialing and it seems to have helped but I will continue to check it (since the problem has been intermittent). I haven't had issues with voice dialing recognizing contacts with the exception of a few of mine that have similar sounding names.

tomorrowneverkn no está en línea Stack level 3

"I suspect one part of my problem is the large number of contacts in my address book (about 2200). Even after initializing, it can take a fulll minute or two to come up with a result. And the correct number frequently isn't even in the list of 3 that the 8800 finds.

I have found a partial workaround. I tend to use voice dialing for only a few numbers. For each of those frequently used numbers, I have set up a separate contact card with a short, clear, one-word name, like "Home," "Greg," etc. When I VD using those names, the accuracy rate goes up from less than 20% to somewhere around 80%."

-2200 contacts? yeah, that'd slow me down

-Your partial work around idea is a smart one.

it's funny, I only have about 40 contacts & I can say something like "John Smith" & my 8800 will reply "Movie Phone"!!
    This is going to sound a$$ backwords, but listen to how the 8800 pronounces your contacts names & sometimes they're completely different than they should be... try mimicing the 8800's wack pronouncation & it'll retrieve that contact.

PIN/ID
    32bebfa8

Lightbulb Re: Failure of Voice Dialing

I did some follow up experimenting with my voice dialing and confirmed that background noise had a significant impact on voice dial initialization. I was using a plantronics bluetooth earpiece and played with different radio volumes and fan speeds for my A/C. Seems the white noise from the A/C played more havoc with voice dialing than the radio but they both can cause the BB to fail to initialize.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

Noumane no está en línea Stack level 1

Re : Failure of Voice Dialing

Quote Originally Posted by csfn90
    My voice dialing seems to fail intermittantly (about 50% failure rate). The screen will show that voice dialing is initializing but never progresses requiring me to cancel voice dialing. Is there anyone having a similar problem? If so, how do you fix it?
    Thanks.
    I ALSO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEME ? AND IN FRENCH IT IS VERY VERY BAD
    I FORGET IT AND NEVER USE IT

PIN/ID
    32bebfa8

Thumbs up Re: Failure of Voice Dialing

One last thing on this topic then I'll give it a rest. I switched bluetooth earpieces to a motorola H700 and now everything works great. I am able to run my A/C on full and radio at a low volume and have no problem initializing voice dialing. The ear piece was about $28 through The Cell Guys on pricegrabber.com (lists for about $90 through Verizon) and it was worth every penny.