Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by HedBanger Thanks for the help! It was the original version that came ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by HedBanger View Post
    Thanks for the help! It was the original version that came with the phone when I purchased it (AT&T) two years ago. I wouldn't know what version that was.
    I am sure it was something like 4.2. If you follow what we have said you should be good to go.

If you have issues or questions just post them and we will try and troubleshoot and get it back how you want it.

One good thing with this is you now have html email and docs to go.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    That's what the new version of DM does.... auto upgrades

So as said... download and execute the latest OS v .110 to your PC and then run DM and check the missing apps and you'll be good to go.

HedBanger no está en línea Stack level 2
    O.K., so I followed your link to the Blackberry site with the OS downloads, but which one is for me? there are 5 or 6. Multi language, Chinese, Asia, 4.2, 4.5 etc.
    "Over?......Did you say over?......Nothing is over until we decide it is!..... Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!.......Hell no!" John "Bluto" Blutarsky (Delta House)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Just pick the first 4.5 in the list.....package version 4.5.0.152. Applications 4.5.0.110.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    The first one on the list is the one you want.

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.152 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.152
    Consisting of:
    • Applications: 4.5.0.110
    • Software Platform: 2.7.0.90
    • File name: 8800M_PBr4.5.0_rel152_PL2.7.0.90_A4.5.0.110_AT&T.e xe
    • File size: 89.31MB

O.K. I'll get er' going! Thanks guys n' gals!
    "Over?......Did you say over?......Nothing is over until we decide it is!..... Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!.......Hell no!" John "Bluto" Blutarsky (Delta House)

Who needs expensive tech. support? You guys rock! I just got everything re-installed and even some new stuff! Thanks sooooo much!

Glad to hear it!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Glad it worked out for you. The biggest thing about tech support is the type in a few words on a PC and get possible solutions. We know what we know because we actually have the devices and have been there done that. That's why PinStack ROCKS!!!

By the way, here are the new features you get with a 4.5 OS:

• Spell check (H)
    • BlackBerry Maps with Points of Interest (H)
    • Improved media player with playlist support and automatic playlist generation (H)
    • Voice note recording (H)
    • Streaming support for YouTube and Sling Player (H)
    • Bluetooth stereo music (H)
    • Microsoft Office document editing with DocumentsToGo (H)
    • Native format attachment downloading (S)
    • HTML e-mails (S)
    • Over-the-air device upgrades (S)
    • Free/busy calendar lookup (S)
    • Searching the server for old e-mail messages (S)

(H)=Handheld
    (S)=Server Side

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Show Off!!!

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    I'm not sure, I've upgraded several 83xx series from 4.2 to 4.5, but I was never worried about the apps you lose when you do an upgrade. A device expert will chime in here soon. But I don't think you can "add" them to your 4.5. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Just to add my 2 cents, but I've upgraded in the past, and i never lost apps, the system usually just ask me to upgrade apps or the apps themselves would tell me i have to upgrade, but as far as losing them completely, i never had that happen...sorry to hear that has happened to you...good luck

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Show Off!!!

Not sure who published this so please forgive not giving props, but I was at least smart enough to copy and paste into a word document I keep on a flash drive for easier refference when things go KABOOOM!!! T the author whoever you were....thanks If you know the link to this please add or if you want a copy without all the font errors I will gladly forward to you.

How to save a copy of an application or game to your PC from your BB
    If you have ever paid for a program that only allows OTA, but you want a copy for your desktop, here is the How To for you:

First and foremost, you need 2 things; a program called
    JavaLoader.exe[FONT=&quot] and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the exact spelling of the module[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you want to save to your PC.
    I got my copy of javaloader.exe from the Blackberry JDE already installed on my computer. Other than the JDE, I don’t know where to get it.
    As for the exact spelling of the module; on your BB go into Applications, then click on the app/game you want to save. You should find the exact spelling of the module on the bottom of this page.

I would suggest, before we begin, that you put a copy of javaloader.exe into a folder all its own, near the root drive. This makes it easier to navigate to from DOS. Mine, for example, was in C:/JavaLoaderTemp/

Here we go:

1)Plug your BB into your PC via USB and make sure the connection is secure.
    2)On your PC click “start>run” then type “cmd” into the text box and hit enter. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]The command prompt, also known as DOS, should now be open. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3)Using your mastery of DOS, navigate to the folder which has your javaloader.exe. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]What? You’re not a DOS guru? [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Example: I had to type “cd ..” a few times until I reached C:/, then I typed “cd javaloadertemp” to get to C:/JavaLoaderTemp. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4)From here, type the following command: [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]javaloader –u save Exact_Module_Name[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Instead of “Exact_Module_Name”, type in the exact module name, duh. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Hit enter. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]JavaLoader should have just created a copy of the application/game and saved it to the folder you navigated to earlier. The file should be called Exact_Module_Name.cod. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5)Now, create a file called Exact_Module_Name.alx and open it up with notepad.
    6)Paste the following into the .alx file:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<loader version="1.0">[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<application id="[/FONT][FONT=&quot]filename[/FONT][FONT=&quot]">[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<name>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]filename[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</name>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<description>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</description>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<version>1.0</version>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<vendor>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</vendor>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<copyright>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</copyright>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<fileset Java="1.0">[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]<files>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]filename[/FONT][FONT=&quot].cod[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</files>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</fileset>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</application>[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]</loader>[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Replace every instance of “filename” with the actual file name, make sure third one, “filename.cod” is spelled exactly as the actual .cod is spelled. Now save this file and relax, your done. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    Now, with a .cod and .alx file, you can reload this app to your BB at anytime using desktop manager.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How to - install 3rd party software using DM[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]To install 3rd party software using the desktop manager:

1. First you need to download the .alx files to your PC, just point your browser to the software (sometimes a zip file).

2. Unzip the file to your PC's Desktop.

3. Connect your BlackBerry to your PC and then launch the Blackberry Desktop Manager. (The Desktop manager can be found on the Blackberry CD that came with your device)

4. From Desktop manager open 'Application Loader'.

5. In the Application Loader click 'Next' .Type your password, if you have a device password set.

6.Click Next and in 'Handheld Application Selection' screen, click 'Add'.

7. Go to the directory for the program you want to add (usually what you unzipped to your desktop), select the
    .alx file, and click 'Open'

8. The application is now added to the software list, verify that it's checked and click Next.

9. Now you can click Finish. The wizard will run.

10. Verify that your software is loaded on the Blackberry[/FONT]
    Last edited by boomermarkovich; 04-29-2009 at 12:31 AM.
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwaine12 View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents, but I've upgraded in the past, and i never lost apps, the system usually just ask me to upgrade apps or the apps themselves would tell me i have to upgrade, but as far as losing them completely, i never had that happen...sorry to hear that has happened to you...good luck
    I don't think this would have been an issue but it appears that the user didn't even realize they were upgrading. Therefor they didn't know or realize that there were options to keep older apps. Make sense??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12